• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

The Misty thing might be made up in a true /vp/ fashion, but the translation of the Japanese site confirms that there will be level restrictions at some point.

For what it's worth, there is a screenshot of a level 18 Pokemon against Misty's Starmie. So if the gym has a level restriction, it only applies to the maximum level rather than all levels.

I don’t think they’ll place restrictions on maximum level. Gamefreak clearly want the games to be as easy as possible.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Sabrina’s gym is going to require a ghost type/haunter specifically to mimic the anime and give children an advantage.

They'll put some restriction on the levels. Either all levels will be required to be higher than a specified number, or just the maximum level will ("one of your Pokemon has to be higher than level 20").

I think it's more than just type matchup and certain level. It did say "In order to challenge the gym, you'll need to clear requirement presented at the entrance. Requirements vary from certain pokemon types, level, and plenty more." Maybe one of those requirement will include pokemon team limitation ( for example Sabriana consists 3 or 4 of here pokemon, so you must have 3 or 4 pokemon) . The other requirement is having a certain pokemon on your team despite the typing and level (for example, instead of using a ground type for it surge gym, you'll require to use a pikachu, like I'm the anime).

Seeing what we know of these games, 95% of the time these tasks will be probably just to ensure that the players do not have a hard time at the gym.

I could see them make an exception for Lt. Surge though by requiring the use of Pikachu. It’s probably in GameFreak schedule to bash Raichu once a day.

Sabrina’s requirement will most probably be to bring a haunter to battle her.

I’m not sure about the rest of the gyms though.

Tbh, it would unfair to use a pikachu against let surge Raichu, instead of a ground, unless they're making the gym more anime -based

Tbh, it would unfair to use a pikachu against let surge Raichu, instead of a ground, unless they're making the gym more anime -based
So it would be slow like the anime gym match? If that is the case, I expect Lt. Surge to be a legitimate giant like he was in the anime.

In all seriousness, these requirements seem to mimic the requirements of the needed number of Pokemon caught/seen in the dex to get items like the area specific HMs or EXP All (EXP Share in later generations). What if this is why they were added, which has also got me thinking, do you think GameFreak has the confidence to put a PokeDex number block on the gym, like "You need to have at least 25 Pokemon registered in yuor PokeDex to proceed into this gym"?.

I think it's more than just type matchup and certain level. It did say "In order to challenge the gym, you'll need to clear requirement presented at the entrance. Requirements vary from certain pokemon types, level, and plenty more." Maybe one of those requirement will include pokemon team limitation ( for example Sabriana consists 3 or 4 of here pokemon, so you must have 3 or 4 pokemon) . The other requirement is having a certain pokemon on your team despite the typing and level (for example, instead of using a ground type for it surge gym, you'll require to use a pikachu, like I'm the anime).

Using 3/4 Pokemon wont be one of them lol, that would be making things harder, not easier

This game is sounding worse with every bit of news. By the sounds of it, they've gutted Kanto of any exploration or freedom. Seems like GF challenges itself to come up with new ideas, irrespective if they are good ideas... and what we're left with is games that are so devoid of content they may as well be power point presentations.

Using 3/4 Pokemon wont be one of them lol, that would be making things harder, not easier
For all we know, the restrictions may take a shift from easy to hard/medium difficulty. Part of integrating the GO audience into the main series should involve at least giving them a taste of what the regular games are like. Plus, a difficulty shift could help increase the length of playtime.

This game is sounding worse with every bit of news. By the sounds of it, they've gutted Kanto of any exploration or freedom. Seems like GF challenges itself to come up with new ideas, irrespective if they are good ideas... and what we're left with is games that are so devoid of content they may as well be power point presentations.
I agree with you on this. At this point Game Freak seem to be wanting to turn Pokémon into something it’s not just because what they want to make won’t be as successful/well-likes as the Pokémon brand. It’s really worrying.

And as if that weren't enough...

Junichi Masuda about Let's Go: capturing Pokémon was too difficult for some players, more

• The main reason why Pokémon Let's Go doesn't have wild battles is to make it similar to Pokémon GO.
  • However, that's not the only reason. Masuda thinks that the classic catching mechanics may be too difficult for some players, so they wanted to simplify the captures by introducing the GO mechanics.
  • This was a controversial decision even at Game Freak, but Masuda says that as he is the director it's "his responsibility".
  • It appears that the fishing minigame has also changed and now you waggle the worm.
  • They need to keep trying new things for Pokémon or the gameplay will stale.
  • They intend to continue experimenting with new gameplay styles and some of them may also generate the same kind of controversial discussions.
  • They are open/listening to feedback, both positive and negative, for consideration for the future.
  • When asked about the graphical style of Let's Go, Masuda responded that he chose the style to be more fantasy like, not realistic, and so parents could more instantly recognise it as Pokémon, and a safe game, at a glance when peering in to check on their kids from another room.
  • Pokémon CP are different in LGPE and in GO. A Pokémon with the same CP number in both games will be stronger in GO.
  • This time the person in charge of the music is Shota Kageyama. They decided to use classical instruments with the goal to relax players while listening and create the vision of a peaceful world.
  • Alola forms won't appear in the wild in LGPE, however there may be a way to obtain them without Pokémon GO...
> "Masuda thinks that the classic catching mechanics may be too difficult for some players, so they wanted to simplify the captures by introducing the GO mechanics."

> "They intend to continue experimenting with new gameplay styles and some of them may also generate the same kind of controversial discussions."

:/

Last edited:

Junichi Masuda about Let's Go: capturing Pokémon was too difficult for some players, more

> "Masuda thinks that the classic catching mechanics may be too difficult for some players, so they wanted to simplify the captures by introducing the GO mechanics."

> "They intend to continue experimenting with new gameplay styles and some of them may also generate the same kind of controversial discussions."

I dunno whether to laugh or cry

I don't want him to be involved with any future games. Gosh! He removed Arceus from Platinum because he deemed it too complicated. Now, he deems wild battles too complicated, what's next?
Can you imagine what he would do if he was in charge of Sinnoh remakes?

Also, why can't we catch KOed Pokémon?

I mean, experimentation could be a good thing. The problem is that they really think that changing the Pokemon wild battle system to be like Pokemon GO's is one of these 'experiments'. Is it changing the core formula? Well, yes... But not exactly in a positive way, and it's nothing revolutionary because it's already been done in Pokemon GO. It's not changing the formula to make the games a different experience, it's just simplifying things for the mobile crowd.

People have always been pretty insistent that Generation VIII will be free from these kinds of changes, but what Masuda said above certainly seems to point otherwise (unless he is talking about further games in the LG series, which seems unlikely at this stage). Again, experimentation could lead down a good road. But NOT when we're speaking in context of simplifying a feature to play like a mobile game.

The use of orchestral instruments in the OST is great, though. Although I don't really care for the whole "relaxing" justification. The justification for the graphics style is silly, too. I don't think very many of us are even remotely wanting hyper-realistic/gritty graphics. Those would not be characteristic of Pokemon. However, plenty of other games have more advanced graphics with legitimately 3D environments and still manage to look 'friendly'.

• However, that's not the only reason. Masuda thinks that the classic catching mechanics may be too difficult for some players, so they wanted to simplify the captures by introducing the GO mechanics.
  • This was a controversial decision even at Game Freak, but Masuda says that as he is the director it's "his responsibility".
Maybe it's just the article oversimplifying, but that seems like really shoddy reasoning. There's no mention of Masuda asking players how difficult they think it is or watching players catch Pokemon-he just thinks that some people might find it too hard, and overlooks players and staff alike in removing wild battles. I don't know how Masuda hasn't realized this after being a director for multiple games, but being a leader doesn't just mean "tell other people what to do"-you have to listen to others, too. And even if catching was too difficult for some players, why remove that for all players? Why not let people choose for themselves?

I would argue that previous catching is nearly the same as battling, but Masuda's already tried to simplify that, so...
  • It appears that the fishing minigame has also changed and now you waggle the worm.
This is adding a step to how fishing previously was. That's making it harder than it was previously-and yet clearly Masuda considers this a good idea, or else he wouldn't be including it. So why doesn't he realize that extra effort isn't impossible for most players?
  • When asked about the graphical style of Let's Go, Masuda responded that he chose the style to be more fantasy like, not realistic, and so parents could more instantly recognise it as Pokémon, and a safe game, at a glance when peering in to check on their kids from another room.
I adore the graphics in LGPE, and I like that Pokemon is playing up the fantasy element, but Masuda's reasoning here is pretty silly. Parents only have time to glance at their kids' screens? There's nothing else recognizable about Pokemon (like unique magical creatures) that you could see at a glance?
  • They need to keep trying new things for Pokémon or the gameplay will stale.
I mean, I agree, but Game Freak keeps removing new elements of gameplay-that's not how you reach that goal.

:/
Okay, this is just getting ridiculous. If we've gotten to the point where even Game Freak themselves are starting to question Masuda, then I'd say it's time for him to retire. It seems like the existence of mobile games are stressing him out to the point where he thinks good quality games with a decent amount of content will always lose to mobile gaming, even though the audience for the mobile crowd is clearly separate from the people who buys a video game console to specifically play games. Maybe he did good for the franchise before, but perhaps Masuda's given up on himself and his team.

The more Masuda opens his mouth the more I worry about the future of this series. Like, does he think kids aren't capable of any thought whatsoever? Makes me wonder if there's any bottom to this nonsense or they're just going to keep oversimplifying this series until it becomes "press A to beat the game".

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom