• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Items people might pay for: Master Balls, Shiny Charm and any items exclusive to the Battle Tower clones.

Any other suggestions I can send to Masuda? They're already working on the adopt-a-mythical service.
I think any battle items that are used in VGC / Battle tree/ breeding.
Choice band, choice scarf, destiny knot, focus sash, life orb, etc.

Amiibos to me are borderline physical microtransactions - although the 'physical' part makes them a little more tame. Unlike normal microtransactions, Amiibos can be resold on the secondary market, so whatever value they have changes depending how desirable their effects and aesthetics have. That's a step up from paying for ingame currency and such - which has pretty much no monetary value at all.

I personally don't mind amiibos, as long as their powers aren't abused. If they are used to unlock things early, or to give players simple items and content one can earn or achieve later in the game, that's not too horrible. That I believed Amiibos were designed to do in the first place. But if they unlock content exclusive to the Amiibo itself, or grant major advantages to the holder over other players, that is when they smell more like microtransactions - which I don't like.

Like, as much as I like Animal Crossing New Leaf, I thought the Amiibos were abused like microtransactions: By giving exclusive power to having a villager, granting items exclusive to particular Amiibos, and having new minigames tied to having amiibos to play comfortably, they abuse the Amiibo powers too much. Fortunately, the Animal Crossing community is really generous, and many players that hold the amiibo cards are willing to scan in and give other people these exclusive items and things.

If these Pokemon games have Amiibo functionality, I really hope it is just for simple items and pokemon, like Ultra Balls, Elixers, Late-game common pokemon, etc. I hope it isn't exclusive, or difficult-to find content, like exclusive/rare cosmitic Pokeballs, and Pokemon with exclusive appearences, moves, or stats. Just have the amiibo content achievable to get in the games.

Amiibos to me are borderline physical microtransactions - although the 'physical' part makes them a little more tame. Unlike normal microtransactions, Amiibos can be resold on the secondary market, so whatever value they have changes depending how desirable their effects and aesthetics have. That's a step up from paying for ingame currency and such - which has pretty much no monetary value at all.

I personally don't mind amiibos, as long as their powers aren't abused. If they are used to unlock things early, or to give players simple items and content one can earn or achieve later in the game, that's not too horrible. That I believed Amiibos were designed to do in the first place. But if they unlock content exclusive to the Amiibo itself, or grant major advantages to the holder over other players, that is when they smell more like microtransactions - which I don't like.

Like, as much as I like Animal Crossing New Leaf, I thought the Amiibos were abused like microtransactions: By giving exclusive power to having a villager, granting items exclusive to particular Amiibos, and having new minigames tied to having amiibos to play comfortably, they abuse the Amiibo powers too much. Fortunately, the Animal Crossing community is really generous, and many players that hold the amiibo cards are willing to scan in and give other people these exclusive items and things.

If these Pokemon games have Amiibo functionality, I really hope it is just for simple items and pokemon, like Ultra Balls, Elixers, Late-game common pokemon, etc. I hope it isn't exclusive, or difficult-to find content, like exclusive/rare cosmitic Pokeballs, and Pokemon with exclusive appearences, moves, or stats. Just have the amiibo content achievable to get in the games.
Metroid Samus Returns also locked a bonus hard mode behind Amiibo. Amiibo need to be used correctly and not be abused.

That's just one game. Amiibos do not work like that in other games.

I understand that. However, Nintendo has shown that they not only have the potential of making them work that way, but they have. I suppose Animal Crossing was especially susceptible to it after the e-Cards from way back in the GCN days, but still it is disgusting. Furniture I wanted really badly is hidden in those stupid Amiibo cards and I'm not paying a single dime for a pack of those that won't likely get me what I want.

Animal Crossing is the series I am most scared of going down the microtransaction route. They've already done it (lootboxes and all) with Pocket Camp, but even on the Switch or any other console, I'm worried.

Pokemon? As of right now, I'm not so much worried. Not yet, anyway. That doesn't mean that some bad practices couldn't go down with the Pokemon series, though. The whole fact that the National Dex is no longer in the games anymore as of Generation VII and you are now forced to pay for Pokemon Bank to get it - outside of the game - is one of these.

I don’t mind this feature too much. Many Pokémon have color variations that are hard to discern, and colorblind people would appreciate something that let them know when they are facing a shiny in the overworld.

However, I wonder if your own shiny Pokémon will appear as shiny in the overwolrd. I would love to ride on things like a black Charizard or go around with a golden Magikarp.

I don’t mind this feature too much. Many Pokémon have color variations that are hard to discern, and colorblind people would appreciate something that let them know when they are facing a shiny in the overworld.

The aura and the shiny coloration aren't features in which one prevents the existence of the other though...We have actually had both since Gen II.

However, I wonder if your own shiny Pokémon will appear as shiny in the overwolrd. I would love to ride on things like a black Charizard or go around with a golden Magikarp.

The existence of this feature is a very strong evidence towards shiny walking Pokemon not being programmed.

Because they’ve been doing that for literally everything else?

It would be a strange choice for shiny models to be missing from the wild encounters but be there for walking Pokémon.
I wouldn’t put it past them just to toss that “surprise you found a shiny!” When you enter catching mode. And to encourage actually entering it more.

I imagine the Pokemon that can follow us/can be ridden on would show up as Shiny, especially since HGSS had that. The Shininess not appearing in the overworld will likely be for wild Pokemon only.

Also speaking of amiibo, it'd be nice if the Detective Pikachu amiibo gave the hat + cape as customization options, though I doubt it'll happen.

Shiny models have been missing for overworld Pokémon not named Red Gyarados and cutscenes in pretty much all games. For example, you can’t see if you are going to get a white Litten in USUM until you reach the part where you give it a nickname or check the stats.

So, I wouldn’t be so sure about not having shiny models for your teammates just because they don’t appear as shiny in the wild.

I don’t see how following Pokémon would be different from overworld Pokemon since they’re probably using the same animations and models for both of them...

I could ask the same thing about HGSS Lugia, Ho-Oh, Suicune, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza… I mean, they could have used the shiny models, so why did they not?

It’s more a matter of making it more of a surprise, I think. Imagine to be new at Pokémon, and see a Pokémon with sparking thingies. You touch it, and see that it has a different color! That’s going to be a boon for new players.

Well, the datamined following Pokemon in SM lack shiny counterparts. Why they bothered with Mega Evolutions instead is beyond me.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom