• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

In the name of 'simplification', such a system could work:

Player has a Charizardite X, Venusaurite and Blastoisinite.
Whenever the player sends out any of the corresponding Pokémon to battle, the option for Mega Evolution appears with no need to press a few buttons and make the Pokémon hold the stone. The game will do that for you.

I think Z Moves are a less straightforward mechanic than Megas, and they would only confuse LGPE's target audience. So I think they will not be in LGPE.

Plus they are an Alola only thing (with the Hawaiian dances, etc)

Last edited:
Mystery Gift is a thing in LGPE, though. The option itself is shown in the Treehouse demo.

They can easily give out events that aren't Mew or a possible second Mythical (not counting the teased one).

There was that recent interview with Masuda, and he said something that I felt seemed to suggest that Alola Forms might be distributed through Mystery Gift:

> Famitsu: So, in other words, a player who wants a high-performance Pokémon will have to keep an eye on its CP value as well. That reminds me, around May 30th’s Pokémon press conference, there were some rumors that players may be able to befriend Alolan-form Pokémon as well… Is there any way to catch these Pokémon aside from bringing them from Pokémon GO?

> Masuda: Alolan Pokémon will not appear in the wild in-game, as such, they can’t be caught in-game. However, it is possible to acquire them through means outside of Pokémon GO. I can’t say exactly how to get them yet… But I will say that you get them through something that’s a pretty well-established part of the mainline Pokémon series… Probably. (laughs)

Held items are confirmed to return through this announcement. You can't Mega Evolve without them.

Mechanics can easily be altered, though. Just look at Feebas - prior to HGSS, someone could have just as easily said that the next games would have to feature Contests because Feebas can’t evolve without them, and even after those games, someone could have said that the next games would have to includee some method for increasing the Beauty stat, only for BW to just introduce the Prism Scale. We probably shouldn’t jump to that conclusion quite yet.

Last edited:
I think Z Moves are a less straightforward mechanic than Megas, and they would only confuse LGPE's target audience. So I think they will not be in LGPE. Plus they are an Alola only thing (with the Hawaiian dances, etc)

Which is a non-argument at this point, since Alolan Forms can also be only an Alola thing.

Surge looks so awful in the new artstyle. So did Oak - adults just don't work with this chibi look. But I'm surprised they didn't go with Surge's anime design to synergize with the anime a little more.

Nice to see Megas return, though. Part of me has this false sense of hope that Game Freak wants to re-introduce them and make them more familiar to newcomers, so they can introduce more in Gen 8.

Which is a non-argument at this point, since Alolan Forms can also be only an Alola thing.
Alola forms are literally just your typical Pokemon forms LOL (with a nice twist). They are not a mechanic associated to the culture of a particular region, like Z Moves are.

Besides, Regional Variants might not remain an Alola only feature, so you shouldn't call them Alola forms. They could very well make Sinnoh variants, Kanto variants, and so on, in following games.

Also, Z Moves could be more confusing than Megas, since there are too many Crystals, and some function differently depending on what move you use, etc.

Last edited:
I need an explanation for why you can't see a Mega gadget anywhere, or any evidence of held items.

@lavandula

Who is your source for that trademark list? How do they have that information?
I mean you don't necessarily need a gadget. Just the Key Stone Key item in your bag. Even in Sun and Moon you didn't have a mega ring or anything. And even some characters in past games didn't have mega items on but could still mega evolve they're pokemon

Alola forms are literally just your typical Pokemon forms LOL. Not a mechanic associated to the culture of a region. So yes, it is an argument.

I’ve got to disagree with you here. While Alola Forms are “just forms” in the mechanical sense, everything else about them is very much tied to Alola culturally - I mean, it’s right there in the name - they came into being because of Alola’s specific environmental pressures, and most of them have a tropical or Hawaii-inspired theme, and it’s pretty clear that Pokémon like Exeggutor and Marowak have made a big impact on Alolan culture. The more general concept of “regional variants” does exist, but that’s kind of irrelevant right now because we currently only have the Alolan ones as a reference point, and it’s those ones that have been imported into LGPE despite their thematic incongruence.

I don’t think there’s a disparity between them and Z-Moves in terms of featuring them in other regions. Yes, Z-Moves come from Necrozma’s light, and involve the poses, but for one thing, neither of those have to be mentioned or included in LGPE (SM handled Mega Evolution in exactly that way by not saying one word about the Ultimate Weapon or the Draconids or the Hoennian meteor showers, and removed the animation with the Trainer’s Key Stone resonating with the Pokémon’s Mega Stone), and for two, even if they do include that stuff, I mean... seeing some elementally themed dances for a few seconds is hardly any more blatant than actually battling with a variant of Rattata that only exists because of its behavior patterns in the Alolan region, or a variant of Raichu that so loudly screams, “I’M A SURFER NOW BECAUSE HAWAII!!!”

As for whether Z-Moves are too complicated... maybe if you mean all the different status boosts, but the attacking moves are just the same basic concept as Megas themselves but-for-moves, and I suspect that most of the audience that LGPE are targetting would be more likely to use those Z-Moves rather than the status ones.

Technically, Z-moves could work the same way as Mega Evolution if they're restricted to exclusive Z-moves (for Pikachu, Eevee, Alolan Raichu, Snorlax and Mew). The main incentive to add them is to help the LGPE starters not get completely overshadowed by the Mega Kanto starters.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom