• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

What do they offer? Cos all I'm seeing is what it's missing. All I'm seeing is what they've taken out from the core games.

A lighter Pokémon experience based on the original games with GO integration + conection.
This game is aimed primarily at people who do not own a Switch yet (or their last Nintendo console was a Game Boy with Pokémon, for example) or people whose last Pokémon game was Gold and Silver.

I understand hardcore players being kinda "out" seems weird, but that's all. You can pick up the game and give it a try if you're an experienced Pokémon player as well. Or don't.

Speaking of items being potentially missing, I wonder how item-related attacks will work in LGPE if that’s the case. Namely, things like Fling, Knock Off, Bug Bite, Pluck, Acrobatics, Thief, Covet and so on.
Apparently the new pokemon to be revealed is called mewthree. Can anyone confirm/debunk this please?

Sounds a tad far fetched to me, to be honest. But I’ll look around a bit.

Sounds a tad far fetched to me, to be honest. But I’ll look around a bit.
The only source I can find on this is this Poketuber's channel called Verlisify. And, yes, I know how controversial he is, and I know that he has been known to produce some clickbait, but he has gotten a few things right.

Speaking of items being potentially missing, I wonder how item-related attacks will work in LGPE if that’s the case. Namely, things like Fling, Knock Off, Bug Bite, Pluck, Acrobatics, Thief, Covet and so on.
Most of those have weakened effects for when the opponent doesn't have an item, so I'd imagine they'll just do that.
The only source I can find on this is this Poketuber's channel called Verlisify. And, yes, I know how controversial he is, and I know that he has been known to produce some clickbait, but he has gotten a few things right.
If you hear something from only one source, and that source has been known to lie, it's pretty likely it's fake. I looked through Verlisfy's video, and the only evidence he had was that you can't name a Mewtwo "Mewthree" in Pokemon Quest on the Switch-but, as he himself pointed out, you can do that on mobile, you can name Pokemon after other Pokemon just fine, and the same message pops up for trying to name a Pokemon a blacklisted word. (One person commented on the video that names that contain "WTH" are blacklisted) Everything else on that video seemed to just be speculation, unless I missed something.

Some people in the comments pointed out that the reason “Mewthree” isn’t a valid nickname due to the “wth,” which is also a shorthand for swearing.

No abilities?

Nooooope. All of my nope.

Sorry, but if I were actually interested in trying these games then this would have been the deal breaker. What was the logic behind this decision? How in the world are they gonna introduce the GO sect to the main series when they're removing a feature that's been in said series for 15 years? FRLG might have been bad with its stupid "pretend only Gen I exists" model but at least it didn't go this far.

I can't possibly recommend these games as they are to a like-minded fan now, unfortunately. What a shame...

Most of those have weakened effects for when the opponent doesn't have an item, so I'd imagine they'll just do that.

If you hear something from only one source, and that source has been known to lie, it's pretty likely it's fake. I looked through Verlisfy's video, and the only evidence he had was that you can't name a Mewtwo "Mewthree" in Pokemon Quest on the Switch-but, as he himself pointed out, you can do that on mobile, you can name Pokemon after other Pokemon just fine, and the same message pops up for trying to name a Pokemon a blacklisted word. (One person commented on the video that names that contain "WTH" are blacklisted) Everything else on that video seemed to just be speculation, unless I missed something.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I'm sorry for spreading a rumor like this, that's why I wanted to be double sure. My bad.

But I put the same post in the Gen 8 Leaks/Speculation thread hoping that if I put it in more than one thread, the quicker it will be confirmed/debunked. So you're going to see it in there as well.
Still, you did it because you were wanting to check the validity of it, not because you had any malicious intent!

No abilities?

Nooooope. All of my nope.

Sorry, but if I were actually interested in trying these games then this would have been the deal breaker. What was the logic behind this decision? How in the world are they gonna introduce the GO sect to the main series when they're removing a feature that's been in said series for 15 years? FRLG might have been bad with its stupid "pretend only Gen I exists" model but at least it didn't go this far.

I can't possibly recommend these games as they are to a like-minded fan now, unfortunately. What a shame...

Why are abilities the deal breaker? I would honestly expect the go style catching mechanics to turn you off first. Abilities are far more important in competitive then in standard play they are usually easy to ignore and when they are not easy to ignore their usually annoying.
I can't imagine anyone having static trigger and getting their Pokemon paralyzed thinking; "wow I'm glad that happened, it added so much depth to my playing experience."

I honestly don't understand at all.

Last edited:
Because you can use Abilities too your advantage. For example: You have Zard Y as you last mon and are running Solar Beam on it and your opponent is a Mega Blastoise. Zard Y is faster, so Solar Beam does a huge amount of damage without needing too wait a turn and it goes the same with other abilities as well.

Basically, the removal of abilities proves that newer Pokemon will NOT be included, given that Pokemon such as Castform, Aegislash, and Wishiwashi have their whole gimmicks based around their abilities. It was basically confirmed that Pokemon beyond the 151+1 wouldn't be included, but there was still a little glimmer of hope.

Basically, the removal of abilities proves that newer Pokemon will NOT be included, given that Pokemon such as Castform, Aegislash, and Wishiwashi have their whole gimmicks based around their abilities. It was basically confirmed that Pokemon beyond the 151+1 wouldn't be included, but there was still a little glimmer of hope.

Well, strictly speaking, they could still include those Pokémon. GO still has Castform’s forms - they’re just treated as fixed variations, like the different Unown letters. So if more Let’s Go games come in the future, I’m sure they’ll figure something out. Granted, I can’t see how Wishiwashi Solo Form would avoid becoming pointless, but Aegislash could adapt pretty easily. You’d just have one form that specializes in offense, and one that specializes in defense.

How in the world are they gonna introduce the GO sect to the main series when they're removing a feature that's been in said series for 15 years?

I don’t really see how this is a problem. What they’re putting out this year is a game designed to attract new fans, lapsed fans, or parents who played the games a long time ago and now have kids that play GO and will see this as something they can share. I mean it’s pretty screechingly obviously not aimed at people who like the complexity of battles - it’s a simple game. They probably don’t expect the bulk of those LGPE players to also go and pick up a 3DS and USUM, so whatever they’ve done in the main series “for 15 years” until now doesn’t really matter - as LGPE are introductory games, what matters is how the games from here on out approach it. And I imagine that probably goes one of two ways - either the newly attracted players simply learn about Abilities when they return in next year’s game, or Let’s Go branches off into its own market while maintaining parity with the Ability-less GO mechanics, and both groups of players pretty much stay within their own fences.

Last edited:
Esserise said:
Well, strictly speaking, they could still include those Pokémon. GO still has Castform’s forms - they’re just treated as fixed variations, like the different Unown letters. So if more Let’s Go games come in the future, I’m sure they’ll figure something out. Granted, I can’t see how Wishiwashi Solo Form would avoid becoming pointless, but Aegislash could adapt pretty easily. You’d just have one form that specializes in offense, and one that specializes in defense.
They could do that, but I'd think they'd add abilities if they ever made it past Johto. If only to keep the gameplay fresh, basically redoing history.

Of course, the main innovations of DP and XY are already in LGPE.

Hm, you make a good point about Castform. And while I think Aegislash COULD work that way, it really changes the whole point of the Pokemon to take away the ability to freely switch back and forth.

But yes, Pokemon that require their ability would make no sense in Let's Go. Wishiwashi and Minior have abilities that essentially turn them into different Pokemon, with their own sets of buffs and drawbacks. It's for this reason I highly doubt they will try to implement newer Pokemon into this game or subseries if it happens.

While there is a point made, Aegislash's design is made around that ability. If you have a defensive and offensive one, its basically a totally different Pokemon alltogether, since the offensive doesn't need the shield, meaning the shield on it is pointless.

But yeah, you could make the same argument: Seasons don't go in gen 6, because Deerling and Sawsbuck are made around that gimmick, so all the forms are pretty pointless now.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom