• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

That's a good question. Although from what I understand, that scenario is difficult to achieve unless you go out of your way to do so, since in this game, you start with
around 50 Pokeballs.
They want you to catch. A lot.

There are actually NPCs that give you some pokeballs when you get low.

Also, you get WAYYY too many pokeballs throughout the game. I swear every other NPC wants to give you 3-5 pokeballs or even great balls in some cases. I'm currently in Rock Tunnel playing a relatively average game, I'm catching quite a few Pokemon but not everything I see, and I currently have 204 pokeballs, none of them purchases, and 29 great balls, most of them purchased. So trust me, you won't have a shortage of pokeballs any time soon if you half as competent as an average player.

Rock Tunnel and Mt. Moon both have the NPC that gives away pokeballs, and I'm sure he's in other locations too, those are just the only two I've happened to encounter and talk to.

So, I'm a little further into the game at this point and...

I have just unlocked the "Judge" feature in my Pokemon storage box– you simply need to meet a Professor's aid and have 30 Pokemon in your Pokedex. This lets you see the general IVs of all the Pokemon you've caught. This aspect of the game's levelling system is actually making me irrationally frustrated.
If the only way to grind is with Poke Balls (I have about 50 on hand just by playing at a normal "casual" pace, not paying too much attention to wild Pokemon) then you could easily run dry on them. During catch-grinding, you of course are bound to catch a Pokemon of the same species as one on your team, but with a better Nature and IVs... but at a lower level. I have discovered a Geodude in my inventory that has far better IVs than the ones I have on my team.
In previous games, you were free to simply lazily grind away in the grass for hours on end if you pleased, to stay above the level curve, skip trainers if you liked, etc. And if you caught a Pokemon you preferred over a team member you already had, you could just swap it out, and have it catch up to the rest of your team pretty easily by just investing some time.
I realise, of course, that this isn't an issue at all for those who simply play the way you're expected to, but I don't understand why you can't simply grind for experience and resources by re-battling trainers on previous Routes in your own time? As it is, the game is pushing me to move forward on the map, even if I maybe want to stop and train different team members. Which costs Poke Balls. Which cost money. And I can only get Poke Balls and money by battling new trainers. I know there's NPCs that give you Poke Balls when you run low, but there's none that are easily accessible where I am... and even so, I'd prefer not to run too low anyway in case something really cool appears that I want to catch.
Maybe I spotted that an Oddish I caught all the way back on Route 1 has far better IVs than the one I ended up training 15+ levels... Am I supposed to just swap it out, thereby lowering my team's strength, and just push on with the story? This feels like such a weird aspect of the game's design, I don't know why it's like this? It feels like I'm missing something...

Bittersweet said:
Am I supposed to just swap it out, thereby lowering my team's strength, and just push on with the story?
Either that or keep the one with lower IVs. Trying to make your team optimal not just in level but IVs is going too far for such an easy game that doesn't even let you turn off the Exp. Share.

Either that or keep the one with lower IVs. Trying to make your team optimal not just in level but IVs is going too far for such an easy game that doesn't even let you turn off the Exp. Share.

Well, right, but it could be anything, like say I decided I wanna use a different Pokemon. I just don't understand why it essentially costs money to mindlessly grind.

I only have one complaint about the art-style. Some Pokemon look really weird, while others look creepy. Venonat and Mr.Mime look really creepy with this Art-Style, while with Psyduck it looks like his eyes can pop out of his head at any moment and Krabby also has weird looking eyes.

Do we know if there’s a difference between the Bulba/Char/Squirt you get as gifts and the ones you find in the wild?

Honestly, I think the thing that pisses me off the most about these games is the removal of the day and night cycle. Like, that's really fucking stupid. They didn't need to go THAT far back.

They removed that too?
Why not also removing genders, Natures, friendship, the three additional types, and every feature introduced after Gen I too?

They removed that too?
Why not also removing genders, Natures, friendship, the three additional types, and every feature introduced after Gen I too?
But if you done that, it'd be a barebones game!

oh wait.
--
I am absolutely a hater, and I absolutely don't expect anyone to care what I say about the game. That said, to me, it seems like the only positive thing people have to say about the game is vague things like it's cute or comfy, and I don't get it. I see no reason to pay £60 for a game just because you can give an Eevee a hair cut. You could literally just draw that and get the same amount of interaction. Because there is none. A game so devoid of soul, heart and enjoyment. It's Pokemon's equivalent to dry toast, and you've got to pay an additional £40 or so just for a paper plate to hold your dry, plain, half-baked toast.

Ok, so no as far as I can tell you cannot transfer the partner pokemon. The attacks they have, while the names suck, are broken. Literally my eevee has beaten every opponent in one move, and she is the same level, or one or two higher depending. I also find that when playing the actual go mechanic is fantastic. Every pokemon you catch you get exp, and they evolve regularly. If you are lucky enough to get a specific candy it ups that pokemons entire stats. It makes leveling up much less tedious. I have never made it this far into a pokemon this fast, because I get irritated with training. This flows so well, and the overworld view is awesome as well. I can avoid pokemon if I choose, chain them to shiny hunt, and shiny’s appear on the screen. I don’t have to click and hope. All in all I find this game a surprising success personally. As for oping the game with a perfect dragonite. It’s not that easy. You can’t access go park until you reach Fuschia town.

Probably a weird question, but is there already something where the different sizes of species are noted down?

Also, from the Let's Plays I've seen on Youtube, the game looks quite fun thus far. You guys reckon it's worth getting the Switch for?

Also, from the Let's Plays I've seen on Youtube, the game looks quite fun thus far. You guys reckon it's worth getting the Switch for?
If you're likely to get a Switch for the 2019 games and these ones appeal to you despite what they lack, then I don't see why not. The games are divisive, so you have to trust your own gut.

Probably a weird question, but is there already something where the different sizes of species are noted down?

I dunno about the first part, but I don’t see why you can’t get the game if you find it entertaining enough. I, myself, have bought a Switch bundle with Let’s Go Eevee and the Pokéball Plus, and I can’t to get to play it when I’m back from my journey.

I don’t care about the hatred of some fans, it looks fun and charming to me and that was enough reason for me to grab the game as soon as I could. I’m going to judge it myself and by itself, regardless of how it compares to other “mainstream” games.

Let's Go is a fun enough romp where you turn off your brain and confuse your dog every time you make a throwing motion at the TV

Running around chaining and searching for rare spawns and huge/tiny pokemon is where the grind is and it's not nearly as tedious as running around in the grass hoping for an encounter

But if you done that, it'd be a barebones game!

oh wait.
--
I am absolutely a hater, and I absolutely don't expect anyone to care what I say about the game. That said, to me, it seems like the only positive thing people have to say about the game is vague things like it's cute or comfy, and I don't get it. I see no reason to pay £60 for a game just because you can give an Eevee a hair cut. You could literally just draw that and get the same amount of interaction. Because there is none. A game so devoid of soul, heart and enjoyment. It's Pokemon's equivalent to dry toast, and you've got to pay an additional £40 or so just for a paper plate to hold your dry, plain, half-baked toast.

I was so sure I was going to like this game.

I’m actually annoyed at how many features are missing and that online trades and battles are now paywalled (I am NOT paying money for that. Not happening.)

And it is enjoyable... like compared to games in general, it’s like an 8 out of 10 on the fun and enjoyable scale.

But for Pokémon, it’s like a 3.

I paid $120 for this... I feel robbed.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom