• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Concept artwork for the "real" Kanto protagonists and rival is out. I like it even though their heads are too big.

Does anybody know what the Japanese text says? Also I feel like Red looks too similar to Ash (not that I hate Ash at all, but the resemblance is uncanny).

I knew the game would do well. There were many segments that were going to buy the game regardless of its quality:

-Pokemon fans who like having new adventures yearly and who like Walking Pokemon and Eevee.
-Pokemon Go hardcore fans who liked being flattered and who have enough acquisitive power.
-People who believed the marketing antics of friendliness, good graphics and high accessibility.

The Johto references could be the writers having fun with Futureshadowing, or actual references to a future game, time will tell. However, a Johto game will lead to people asking for Let's Go Hoenn and beyond, and I'm not sure if GF wants that after the amount of pressure they received and keep receiving for Hoenn & Sinnoh remakes. The healthiest option would be for the next LG games to take place in new regions with a Pokedex made up of old Pokemon. That would require more effort from GF, but it would give the sub series their own identity.

I would love to play as Wally and his Ralts in an alternate Hoenn! TrollFreak will never let that happen though.

Worldwide speaking, yes. Sales are weaker in Japan (although they're on par with Splatoon 2 in terms of fastest first-week sales for Switch games), probably because Go wasn't that big a phenomenon there, which can be explained in terms of the Pokemania never having really died in the first place. We'll see what effect word of mouth has, since a lot of LGPE players agree that the marketing didn't do the games enough favors.

Weird, I would have thought sales in Japan would be higher than usual. What gives?

Even Japanese kids probably hate the patronizing way players are treated in this new game.

That isn't the only reason, or even the main one. The Switch has significantly lower sales (5.5 million) in Japan than in America (9.1 million). When the 3DS was the same age, Japan had a slight advantage over America (7.94 vs 7.38) which was sharper by XY's launch (15.89 vs 14.58).

One of Masuda's goals is to bolster the Switch's install base via LGPE.

That isn't the only reason, or even the main one. The Switch has significantly lower sales (5.5 million) in Japan than in America (9.1 million). When the 3DS was the same age, Japan had a slight advantage over America (7.94 vs 7.38) which was sharper by XY's launch (15.89 vs 14.58).

Don't home consoles in general sell better in the west though? I know that the handheld market in Japan is bigger for sure.

Idk where else to post this, but it’s something that’s been bothering me.

I find it really annoying how some people think Leaf and Green are separate characters.

Like, I get they have different (though not unrelated) names but also like...they look fucking identical.

Doing work for Nintendo or wanting to make the install base bigger for the new generation games?

I find it really annoying how some people think Leaf and Green are separate characters.
I blame the whole Lyra/Kris thing. Could have just said Kris was heavily redesigned but decided to make them their own character. I see people arguing because of the Leaf figurine...because its named Leaf. Why don't they just go debate whether Gold and Ethan are the same characters since the anime are treating them as separate if they're gonna use a figurine to trump a common-sense approach.

(also people have no issue accepting Red as the same character no matter how different they make him look? Redesign to make his appearance look more like a boy-version of Leaf/Green? Go back to traditional design? Always Red. Green uses the same exact design as Leaf but goes by a different name? Different characters. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back 20-year old Red, but redesigned to look more like his black-hair original design, and there'd be no issue)

Last edited:
The Outrage said:
Doing work for Nintendo or wanting to make the install base bigger for the new generation games?
The latter, lol. But he didn't admit as much, and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I blame the whole Lyra/Kris thing. Could have just said Kris was heavily redesigned but decided to make them their own character.
I'm rather thankful for that because Lyra has the worst attire and role as an NPC. Hardly fitting for the first female protagonist.

I'm rather thankful for that because Lyra has the worst attire and role as an NPC. Hardly fitting for the first female protagonist.
To be fair, Ethan has the same role when Lyra’s the PC. Though there is no excuse for her attire.

Tangentially related: I thought I heard somewhere that the Gold datamine found out Lyra —not Kris— was originally designed to be the first female PC in the series. The model was then scrapped and Kris was introduced in Crystal? What’s the validity of this? Also related, if this is true, I can absolutely see Kris as being a “Crystal-ized” redesign for the original Lyra sprite. Similar to how Emerald May had an updated design from RS May. The difference being that RS May was actually playable while GS Lyra wasn’t. But if this is true, wouldn’t that mean that Lyra and Kris are still one and the same? At least, in asmuch as Gold/Ethan and “Chris” are one and the same.

To be fair, Ethan has the same role when Lyra’s the PC. Though there is no excuse for her attire.
But at least I can assume that Ethan is the "canon" PC, which GS would imply.

Tangentially related: I thought I heard somewhere that the Gold datamine found out Lyra —not Kris— was originally designed to be the first female PC in the series. The model was then scrapped and Kris was introduced in Crystal? What’s the validity of this?
I think you mean Kris' prototype sprite from Crystal, which Game Freak revealed in 2010 (I don't think it's in the data at all). She looks plain and I don't see a resemblance to either of the two girls, but then it's blurry and small.

@Envoy THANK you, it bothers me too. Even Bulbapedia refuses to accept that it's Green, calling her Leaf in places where she was in FRLG.

Also, I actually have to take the minority opinion on Kris/Lyra. I've always just felt "Kris" was short for Crystal, and in that way she fits in with Gold and Silver. Then they redesigned both protags and gave them names, Ethan and Lyra. Even Pokemon adventures supports that theory.

I know they've even explicitly said that Lyra is a new and separate character, but if she was then they really should have made her design more different than Kris, cuz the fact that Adventures can go and make them interchangeable says to me that they are too close in design to fully be distinct from each other.

Kusaka also had Crystal mock her new clothes, so you can tell that he wasn't very happy about doing anything with Lyra. The HGSS arc was already rushed without accounting for a new protagonist.

Okay, so I noticed that when playing the game, whenever an opponent uses a healing item it always says "You" used it. Is that the case for everyone or is my game just on drugs or something? :confused:

Okay, so I noticed that when playing the game, whenever an opponent uses a healing item it always says "You" used it. Is that the case for everyone or is my game just on drugs or something? :confused:
I've seen people complain about it. Maybe NPCs weren't initially programmed to use items or something.

Kusaka also had Crystal mock her new clothes, so you can tell that he wasn't very happy about doing anything with Lyra. The HGSS arc was already rushed without accounting for a new protagonist.
I want Game Freak to troll the fanbase more in Let's Go 2 Johto by bringing back the female protagonist with Kris' design but Lyra's name.

I want Game Freak to troll the fanbase more in Let's Go 2 Johto by bringing back the female protagonist with Kris' design but Lyra's name.
I’d actually be okay with that. It’s not like a set name for Kris got used outside the English manual anyways (at least to my knowledge).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom