• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Black & White Title Announcement Thread #2

Re: Official New Dub Episode Title Announcement Thread 2

I don't think people complain if their puns or not, they complain about how horrible the title's are. TPCi are not really great at making titles whether their puns or not.

Even though it is my opinion, I feel that all of the titles so far for Black & White have superseded the Japanese titles. I mean, we only have up to BW031, but they all feel ... right to me.

The title Ash and Trip's Third Battle kind of shocked me at first. However, I do not feel comfortable complaining now because the other titles are better and will most likely continue to be better.

Callisto said:
See, this is what happens when people complain too much about puns. Make up your mind people!

There are choices other than "ridiculous pun / rhyme / pop culture reference" and "bland, overly literal title," y'know. It's not being indecisive to dislike either extreme.

I don't think people complain if their puns or not, they complain about how horrible the title's are. TPCi are not really great at making titles whether their puns or not.

That may be true for some, but I have seen people outright dislike the fact that the dub used puns at all.

There are choices other than "ridiculous pun / rhyme / pop culture reference" and "bland, overly literal title," y'know. It's not being indecisive to dislike either extreme.

True, the title is definitely really stupid. I dunno what they were thinking naming the title that of all things it could've been, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to get titles like this because this is what they think we want. It will definitely be incredibly awkward to hear Ash saying the title... It sounds so uninspired.

"Ash and Trip's Third Battle"? Lol, "A Rival Battle! Banipuuchi and Dokkora Join In!!" TPCi just translate the titles correctly, or take a lesson from Bulbagarden's Dub Title Prediction Thread. It's a hell of a lot better then "A Rival Battle for Club Champ" and "The Bloom is on Axew" though.

Never thought anything could top "Egg Hatch!", guess I was wrong.

Ash and Trip's Third Battle

Someone refresh my memory, what happens in this episode again?

I'm starting to think that the basic title of Ash and Trip's Third Battle has some reasoning to it. This may be a bizarre way to put it, but I think they made this title basic to go with the fact that Trip's catchphrase is "That's basic".

I lol'd at Ash and Trip's Third Battle.
That's almost as literal as Ash Catches a Pokemon.

I personally don't care if they go for punny titles or not. I usually refer to episodes as "the one where Ash + co did..., etc." but I can see why it would matter to others. Why not just translate the Japanese titles? Shows like One Piece and Dragonball Z have long titles and they get translated into English.

if it is true, I guess they chose Stephan because it can be pronounced a few different ways, which makes it easier for the mispronunciation pun to be translated to English. I think it fits pretty well personally, but nothing beats Kenyan imo (probably because I'm so used to it :p).

(probably because I'm so used to it :p).

Given that you're still using silly romanizations like "Dento" and "Shuuti", I'd place my bets on that, yes.
:rolleyes:

Given that you're still using silly romanizations like "Dento" and "Shuuti", I'd place my bets on that, yes.
:rolleyes:

Only because those are the pronunciations I'm used to :p; I'm well aware they're not "correct", though this isn't the place to discuss that.

Kenyan's English name seems to be Stephan according to Pokemon.com.

That sounds kind of....lazy. I don't know unless Ash pronounces it as "Steven" I don't know how in the hell you can mispronounce it unless you seriously make some shit up that's not even close to the world. Something like "St"Phlegm"en" (if you're a fan of Jeff Dunham, you'll know what I mean)

There are many names out there that can be mispronounced, why go with Stephan?

Because as far as I can tell there's only one pronunciation, unless someone wants to educate me.

Edit: Well I think I may have come up with one. Steph-on instead of Steph-in. I guess, whatever.

Seems like a good choice, it still ends in "an" and it can be pronounce a few ways.

Stee-ven

Steph-en

Steph-arn

Steph-on

Steph-in

I'm guessing it sounds like Steven and Ash calls him, Steph-en, or the other way around. And that that p--- poor pronunciation in the Don Battle, by that announcer guy I think, will be Steph-arn. The sort of exotic way to say it.

I can't wait until the next title, I swear, if it's anything like the previous titles in terms of simpleness, I'm going to get just a little bit angry.

There are many names out there that can be mispronounced, why go with Stephan?

If they had choosen another name I could had said the same... shy choose "---", when there is many other names out there that can be mispronounced? Seriously, thats a obviously question...

Stephan's a good name but I wonder how the mispronouncing joke will go.

Plus, you think Vic from FUNimation will voice him? I can't see him voicing Luke or even a minor character, given his rep.

If they had choosen another name I could had said the same... shy choose "---", when there is many other names out there that can be mispronounced? Seriously, thats a obviously question...

You didn't get my complaint. I honestly don't see how Stephan can really be mispronounced, if they chose a name that I could easily have seen mispronunciations it wouldn't have been a problem.

Plus Kenyan really doesn't look like Stephan at all.

@Playerking
Stee-ven

Steph-en

Steph-arn

Steph-on

Steph-in
The second and last one look like they'd be pronounced identically since 'en I'm pretty sure is pronounced as "in" Like Chicken -> "Chick-in" unless you were going for "Steph-een"

Oh well in the end it doesn't matter. Hopefully Pokemon.com are wrong.

The second and last one look like they'd be pronounced identically since 'en I'm pretty sure is pronounced as "in" Like Chicken -> "Chick-in" unless you were going for "Steph-een"
I guess its a regional dialect thing because I read it as "ehn" and "in"

Oh well in the end it doesn't matter. Hopefully Pokemon.com are wrong.

Why would they be? They might get some small things wrongs like a typo but I don't thing they get character names wrong.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom