• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon DVD Release/Discussion Thread

DVDs

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
After noticing how well Dogasu's thread about the R1 DVD Quality, I thought it would be interesting to see a thread dedicated to the discussion of the DVDs. What I hope this thread will be focused around is the discussion of DVDs of the past and present, and event future, and announcements of upcoming DVDs. So basically, discussing anything about the Pokémon DVDs.

And speaking of announcements, "Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands - The Complete Collection" is set to be released in North America on May 5th.

It should be noted that Viz Media touched upon re-releasing the Johto seasons of Pokémon back in 2014 on their FaceBook page, and it looks like it's happening.

Last edited:
After noticing how well Dogasu's thread about the R1 DVD Quality, I thought it would be interesting to see a thread dedicated to the discussion of the DVDs. What I hope this thread will be focused around is the discussion of DVDs of the past and present, and event future, and announcements of upcoming DVDs. So basically, discussing anything about the Pokémon DVDs.

Hmm... I guess, then, the discussions about the DVD quality and etc. mentioned in that earlier thread would be in this thread now?

And speaking of announcements, "Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands - The Complete Collection" is set to be released in North America on May 5th.

The "Complete" Collection......... buuuuuuuut I'm assuming those two Orange Island episodes containing Jynx in the dub will be gone in this release since they don't air on Pokemon.com anymore or... "exist", basically.

I'm sad about that, but I'm not shocked- it's all a part of being thorough in getting rid of black-skinned Jynx. I figured an Orange Islands re-release was coming...

It should be noted that Viz Media touched upon re-releasing the Johto seasons of Pokémon back in 2014 on their FaceBook page, and it looks like it's happening.

I'm glad about that and am sure that the two Johto episodes never released on Region 1 DVDs (I dunno about other regions) will surely be on this re-release. That said, if they don't really have anything beyond the episodes themselves, then at best, I'd only eventually get the Johto Journeys rerelease since that's the season where I didn't realize yet that I wouldn't really like that saga so much. (I'm assuming Johto Journeys, Johto League Champions, and Master Quest are being released individually).

I don't know why we can't just keep using the other thread...?

Rex Kamex said:
I'm glad about that and am sure that the two Johto episodes never released on Region 1 DVDs (I dunno about other regions)

Australia got them.

I don't know why we can't just keep using the other thread...?

The reason why I made it was because your thread was solely for the the quality of the R1 DVD Quality and not about DVD announcements. If you wanted to, I could delete this thread and we could make your thread an announcement/discussion thread as well.

Last edited:
Why are you acting as if this Orange Islands boxset is being released for the first time? Viz already released it before. Only with different boxart.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why are you acting as if this Orange Islands boxset is being released for the first time? Viz already released it before. Only with different boxart.

He didn't say it wasn't released in the past. Also, it's NOT going to be the exact same thing since this newer set will obviously lack the recently removed eps.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone think they could just recolor Jynx? She only appears for a little bit in each epsiode (it's a far cry from The Ice Cave or Holiday Hi-Jynx). TPCi went to all the trouble removing Lenora's apron...

Also, is M02 gonna be included with this set?

They did re-color the Jynx card in the TCG game for Game Boy when they released it on VC (a similar change was made for Pokemon Snap), but of course that's just flipping a few bits in the code, very different from editing animation.

Movie 2 won't be in the set-that along with movies 1&3 is still apparently trapped in some sort of licensing quagmire.

Anyone think they could just recolor Jynx? She only appears for a little bit in each epsiode (it's a far cry from The Ice Cave or Holiday Hi-Jynx). TPCi went to all the trouble removing Lenora's apron...

It's believed that the Japanese producers went back and made the edit themselves, not TPCi.

Movie 2 won't be included but you can try buying it from sites like eBay or Amazon.

They could easily edit out Jynx, which would only remove a minute at most from each episode, or they could recolor her, then sync the dub audio onto the recolored animation, which would be a little time consuming and probably a little expensive but not too much for a company as rich as TPCI.

Same goes for HH and TIC. Both episodes could just have Jynx recolored and be done with it.

Viz Media just released a trailer for volume 2 of Pokémon: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond. Just check out how much work got put into this trailer -sarcasm-:

[video=youtube;5h26qIP1OA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h26qIP1OA4[/video]

Sad thing is, this is the first real promotion the Pokémon TV Series has gotten for it's DVD volumes in a long time. Also, the "Old Rivals" part definitely doesn't suit this volume. This volume covers the entirety of the Decolore Islands arc, which none of the BW rivals, or any old rivals for that matter, were featured in at all.

Viz Media has slated a home video release date for Movie 11, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, on July 7. What makes this interesting is that the first home video release of this movie was distributed by Universal for reasons not completely certain. The fact that Viz Media is now re-releasing it probably means Universal's distribution rights effectively expired without a renewal. It will also be interesting to see how the quality between these two releases compare. Perhaps there is still hope yet that one day Viz Media will secure the rights to the first three movies.

DVD Front Cover:
CAec8UzU8AEPO5Q.jpg

DVD Back Cover:
CAec8P6U8AAjciU.jpg

Last edited:
Viz Media has slated a home video release date for Movie 11, Giratina and the Sky Warrior, on July 7. What makes this interesting is that the first home video release of this movie was distributed by Universal for reasons not completely certain. The fact that Viz Media is now re-releasing it probably means Universal's distribution rights effectively expired without a renewal. It will also be interesting to see how the quality between these two releases compare. Perhaps there is still hope yet that one day Viz Media will secure the rights to the first three movies.

DVD Front Cover:
View attachment 97577

DVD Back Cover:
View attachment 97578

It'll likely be the same disc with a new cover just like the Movie 8 re-release was. Though that dropped the 2nd disc.

It certainly opens up the possibility of a box set, but personally I'd prefer for the to be digitally purchasable.

It's possible Universal's rights actually expired last year-it may have been what allowed Pokemon to put it on Hulu (though Universal does partially own that service).

I'm mainly interested if this will eventually lead to a box set of the DP trilogy, or all four DP movies if they want to go that route, since I'm pretty sure that Viz Media has the rights to the other DP movies.
Considering Miramax/Lionsgate made Collector's Sets of Movies 4-7, I could seriously see this happening, not to mention the same could be done for the BW movies since all of them are already under Viz Media's distribution. It's all a matter of Viz Media/TPCi putting in the effort to make it happen and with the high quality releases we've in other countries, there shouldn't be any reason it couldn't happen.

Well I guess the trailer Viz Media produced for volume 2 of Pokémon: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond was so well received that Viz Media decided to use the samee concept in this new trailer for the DVD Set of Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands, which comes out May 5th:

[video=youtube;98e9-VlcDG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98e9-VlcDG0[/video]

I mean, I guess it's good that the DVD Sets are getting some sort of promotion compared to before when only the movies would be advertised, but surely it could be done better than that. Not to mention, as far as I know, you only see this "trailer" on Viz Media's YouTube page. It would go so much farther if they embedded it on Pokémon's official website or on currently available Pokémon DVDs.

Speaking of currently available Pokémon DVDs, volume 2 of Pokémon: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond. If you've been picking up the BW Sets on a regular basis, this will be the final set you need to own the entirety of the BW Series. Overall, I've been very happy with these sets. Thought was definitely put into the design of the covers and the disc itself. It would have been nice to see some special features, but it shouldn't be any surprise there weren't any. I also found it interesting how Season 14 had 4 volumes, Season 15 had 3 volumes (Volume 3 of Season 15 would begin the trend of 24+ episodes a set instead of the 12+ episodes we had been accustomed to with the previous sets) and Season 16 had 2 volumes. Finally, there doesn't seem to be a Walmart exclusive edition of this set like Set 1 had back in September.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom