• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, totally different from the LGBTQ discussion
The LGBTQ discussion was more interesting than the graphics discussion, I must say. No matter what side of the discussion you were on, at least it kept the thread active, and helped both sides voice their opinions.

The thread is totally boring now.

I do agree however, that maybe it needs its own thread though.

Last edited:
We haven’t seen enough footage to say that, though.

We've seen enough of the map to say that. The map is predominantly linear with the exception of that one field south of the industrial city (and we may not even get to fully explore that seeing how Game Freak loves giving us scenery that can't be explored).

We've seen enough of the map to say that. The map is predominantly linear with the exception of that one field south of the industrial city (and we may not even get to fully explore that seeing how Game Freak loves giving us scenery that can't be explored).
We really haven't though so I'm not sure where you're getting these assumptions from. The map may look linear but there could be many different ways gamefreak goes about making it not linear

I'm not saying that textures and shadows are minuscule things, I'm saying that what you found issue with was minuscule. The shadow issue was on one fence and some background trees, and you're ignoring every other time shadows were done right to say that the games have an issue with shadows. Your issue with textures is on one wall and one dirt/grass path, and you're ignoring all the other textures to say that these are a problem. It doesn't matter how much or little someone values shadows and textures-the fact is, these are not the entire set of graphics displayed in the trailer. Pokemon is the biggest franchise of all time, I can expect something that I know they can do because, unlike many others, they have the money to do it.

I said it didn't matter because the logo on the shirt would appear for literally one second, not because it wouldn't be seen on a TV.

You need to respect the hard work of people, but you're just going to assume that Game Freak put no effort into SwSh when all we've got is a trailer?

If you really can't see how you're being patronizing here, I don't know how to explain it to you.

I literally just said, nobody's saying that you have to like them. I'm asking that you acknowledge them as your opinion instead of acting like it's fact.
I've always said it's my opinion. I've always just explained my point of view. I've never answered someone saying that his/her opinion about the graphics is wrong, I just answered to straight questions. I cannot understand why when I say what I think there are 10 people answering to me and saying that the graphics are not ultimated, that pokemon don't need good graphics or that other franchises have flaws too or that I want something impossible. Graphics are important to me, probably more important than what they are for you. It's just my opinion and I want you to understand that what's good/enough for you doesn't have to be good/enough for me too. These graphics are not enough for me, I dont care if for you it's a minor thing, it's not for me and many others. Pokemon is the biggest franchise of all time, I know they can do way better than this because, unlike many others, they have the money to do it.

Last edited:
I desperately hope the map is more explorable (and areas larger) than the trailer shows, as otherwise the game will be incredibly short. Only time will tell though, probably when it's demo'd at E3.

@Joker901 You've mentioned at instances that the graphics are objectively bad though
Guys, it's not like I'm the one not liking them, it's a fact, the graphics are not great.
As I've said thousands of times, I've never stated these games will be bad. These just look like 3ds games on the switch. That's a fact. What is also a fact: we are no more on 3ds.

I'm guessing that’s what's causing this argument.

and in other news, water is wet. Pokemon is a linear series. i'm not sure why you thought they were going to suddenly deviate.

We really haven't though so I'm not sure where you're getting these assumptions from. The map may look linear but there could be many different ways gamefreak goes about making it not linear

The artwork maps are extremely detailed, they tend to show nearly every landmark and every detail in the region that can be seen from a bird's eye view. And in the map, we're seeing singular paths that run from city to city as usual. If the map was nonlinear we wouldn't be seeing all of this dirt paths or narrow cliff/canyon paths. The gameplay clips we've seen also corroborate that these paths are basically all we get, a lot of the environments are locked off with fences and cliffs that corral you down narrow linear paths. The map and gameplay clips are very clear about what's explorable and what isn't, and there's far too much "isn't" on display here.

@Joker901 You've mentioned at instances that the graphics are objectively bad though

I'm guessing that’s what's causing this argument.
But I'm still confident about those statements. Don't get me wrong. The graphics are not terribile in the sense that they are not ugly. They could have done much better, this is my opinion and others can like them. It's a fact that they look like 3ds in HD and for a title that is no more on a 240p console that's mediocre. People can still like them and I'm 100% ok with this. But good graphics are another thing, Zelda, Xenoblade exist and we can't simply ignore what the Switch can do.

But I'm still confident about those statements. Don't get me wrong. The graphics are not terribile in the sense that they are not ugly. They could have done much better, this is my opinion and other can like them. It's a fact that they look like 3ds in HD and that's for a title that is no more on a 240p console that's mediocre. People can still like them and I'm 100% ok with this. But good graphics are another thing, Zelda, Xenoblade exist and we can't simply ignore what the Switch can do.

If you say that x has bad graphics and it’s a fact you come in direct contradiction with someone who actually likes the graphics.

That’s what’s forcing ‘10 other people’ to reply to you. Your statements are coming off as contradictory.

A fact by definition cannot have subjectivity.

If you say that x has bad graphics and it’s a fact you come in direct contradiction with someone who actually likes the graphics.

That’s what’s forcing ‘10 other people’ to reply to you. Your statements are coming off as contradictory.

A fact by definition cannot have subjectivity.
Guys, can we really argue about pokemon having good graphics like Zelda, Xenoblade, Skyrim etc? I mean...can we seriously talk about good graphics?
Fact: Pokemon graphics are mediocre compared to other switch titles.
Opinion: These graphics are mediocre even for a pokemon game on console.

Last edited:
The artwork maps are extremely detailed, they tend to show nearly every landmark and every detail in the region that can be seen from a bird's eye view. And in the map, we're seeing singular paths that run from city to city as usual. If the map was nonlinear we wouldn't be seeing all of this dirt paths or narrow cliff/canyon paths. The gameplay clips we've seen also corroborate that these paths are basically all we get, a lot of the environments are locked off with fences and cliffs that corral you down narrow linear paths. The map and gameplay clips are very clear about what's explorable and what isn't, and there's far too much "isn't" on display here.
the map's artwork is a definite change from ORAS through LGPE's maps. you can see several areas where there's missing buildings: 1) in the starter town there is no Pokemon Center on the map; 2) in the town with the grass stadium, it is clearly condensed and stylized in general and also is missing a Pokemon Center; 3) the gear city is shown to be scaled down on the map compared to the trailer and Poke!London is quite obviously quite stylized as well. Galar's art is clearly some degree scaled and stylized.

i'm not sure how non-linearity and dirt paths and canyons are related, especially considering that the games with minute amounts of non-linearity don't even have that non-linearity visible on the map art. and for what it's worth, there are distinct crossroads in the region. the water and grass gyms, for instance. well, really, every gym on the map is seemingly separated between a west and an east side with little connection between them beyond a "hub."

Guys, can we really argue about pokemon having good graphics like Zelda, Xenoblade, Skyrim etc? I mean...can we seriously talk about good graphics?
Fact: Pokemon graphics are mediocre compared to other switch titles.
Opinion: These graphics are mediocre even for a pokemon game on console.
Honestly speaking..... SS looks more appealing to me than Skyrim and Zelda BOTW. I like Xeno 2 environments more tho. But that's due to my fantasy bias.

Honestly speaking..... SS looks more appealing to me than Skyrim and Zelda BOTW. I like Xeno 2 environments more tho. But that's due to my fantasy bias.
Are you referring to the art style or to the graphics? Cause they are two different things...

I get what you're saying. But you seem to be ignoring everyone's counter points. Some people pointed out how the map doesn't seem to be as linear as you're making it out to be but you say that isn't enough. Some people also said that the progression of the game will largely determine the linearity..... and you said it's not that important. You're dead set on assuming that things about a game we barely know anything about and acting as if they are final. I'm honestly asking, did you want this game to disappoint you? I can understand people not holding expectations if they disliked some of the more recent entries in the franchise but not giving the newer games a chance..... I don't get that. Oh well. I hope the game proves you wrong so you can enjoy it once again as a Pokemon fan. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom