• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armoured Pokemon would be a terrible idea because it takes inspiration from the worst Pokemon concepts and applies it for every Pokemon that will get the gimmick.

See: Rhyperior, Mega Tyranitar etc.

I wonder how all those awful Megas got approved. Just putrid grade-school designs. Let me add spikes everywhere! Cool!

For those still wondering what “monpoke” is, turns out it’s some special Pokemon product brand for toddlers:

Translation:

From the site:

As a father-to-be, I'm actually much more hyped about this than I would have been if it was a Pokémon Bank substitute (or w/e we were speculating when the trademark was found). :eek:

Ice type moves are actually useful on a water starter. SE against grass/dragon/ground/flying which are among the most common types in competitive not counting that grass is a weakness of water, so it's good it could counter it.
For example, in gen 4 even if Empoleon was weak to both Torterra and Infernape, it was also super effective to both thanks to moves coverage. Ice Beam can ohko Torterra, which is slower, and Hydro Pump can ohko Infernape, which, however, is faster. So they are kinda balanced even if they are not.
if it will learn flrying and poison moves it's enough against grass, water is the natural enemy of ground, the lizard looks more capable to learn dragon moves like charizard, maybe we will get new "lick" moves? flying fears electric and rock but not every pokemon in the past had coverage like Venusaur... could see it learn a rock type move Smack Down that could be animated differently with it's tongue...
a good move against both flying and bug type. It can always learn Rock Slide like Sceptile does.
we will see what we will get. If it will need to counter grass/rock then steel, bug and fighting move will be enough to do it.
I can see it learn iron tail, iron head, maybe that horn steel move, bug attacks... U-turn and some other physical new ones maybe should learn Leech life as a Cameloen to drain oponents even. Looking at spoiler pics would say it should learn some fighting moves.
Should it learn Ground moves against fire/electric when slower? Yes maybe... Drill Run?Mud shot?Mud bomb?
We will see I hope for a physically water starter this time around, didn't had a proper one since Feraligatr, Swampert , Samuotrr(partially).
And it secondary typing will matter too with it all. (taking how fast other past water starters are and the speed of past grass pokemon)

A horn isn’t a beak last time I checked. And Chameleons don’t have breaks to my knowledge.

could you look what pokemon learned peck , drill peck and horn moves and re-verse way.
There is quite a list there already.

Last edited:
could you look what pokemon learned peck , drill peck and horn moves and re-verse way.
There is quite a list there already.

The Pokemon without beaks that learn peck have horns, as said in the move description it can be used with horns, unlike Beak Blast which involves heating up a hollow beak.

As a father-to-be, I'm actually much more hyped about this than I would have been if it was a Pokémon Bank substitute (or w/e we were speculating when the trademark was found). :eek:
I'm not planning on having kids, but I'm still very invested in the idea of there eventually being a baby onesie designed to look like Mega Slowbro. Come on, Monpoke, it'd be perfect!

Also, I'm similarly glad that this turned out to be a baby accessory line and not a Bank substitute, I didn't know that idea was being tossed around... I just renewed my subscription to Bank and would be really annoyed if they made a new Bank that I had to buy a whole new subscription, especially if it didn't auto transfer the Pokemon to the new service for some reason and made me take out all of my Pokemon in order to move them to the new service. I finally got those organized!!

Although considering how Bank usually only gets updated for the current generation a couple months after the games have been out for a while, by the time they introduced a new service it would probably be around the end of my current subscription anyway. That being said, I'm hoping/expecting that they'll just create a version of Bank for switch that allows you to access the same servers and uses the same subscription that Bank for the 3DS does. Maybe they can actually lump the Transporter into the same app this time too, if they still need one at all at this point.

For those still wondering what “monpoke” is, turns out it’s some special Pokemon product brand for toddlers:

Translation:

From the site:

I love how they're building their brand with this. XD Get em while they're really young.

But this is interesting, too, because I'm noticing more and more products geared towards adults lately- they must have realized with the anniversary and the popularity of GO that a significant portion of their fanbase are adults now.

I hope this will also be reflected in Sword and Shield. I don't expect a mature game because Pokémon will surely always be family-friendly, but less treating the player like they're inherently dumb would certainly be appreciated.

Not while Masuda is the company's director xD

Didn't he step down as director? I mean, he's still part of the board, but he said that LGPE will likely be his last time serving as director of the main series Pokemon games. =x

Didn't he step down as director? I mean, he's still part of the board, but he said that LGPE will likely be his last time serving as director of the main series Pokemon games. =x

He said he (probably) won't be the director of future games. He is still very much the Company Director, and the man who decides what direction the games will take.

Please note that Masuda wasn't the Director of ORAS, It was Ohmori, yet the Battle Frontier was still excluded from ORAS because of Masuda's views.

He said he (probably) won't be the director of future games. He is still very much the Company Director, and the man who decides what direction the games will take.

Please note that Masuda wasn't the Director of ORAS, It was Ohmori, yet the Battle Frontier was still excluded from ORAS because of Masuda's views.
Would you mind linking to your source for this? I’m genuinely curious.

Is ORAS even worth it without Battle Frontier? Was wanting to get it soon (no I still haven't played it yet) but I just found this out the other day and it majorly killed my hype :/

Would you mind linking to your source for this? I’m genuinely curious.
Here

Translation:
a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.
a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past

I'm happy other franchises like Zelda don't adhere to such an abhorrent philosophy. Really hope that idea was abandoned during the development of Sword & Shield. Adhering to a mindset of contributing to modern day ADHD is what is sucking quality out of the series.

Okay chaps predictions for April.
What do ya think we'll see?
I'm hoping we'll at least see something this month. Even if it's small. I know in the past we haven't gotten anything in April, so it's hard to predict. But with this past month of CoroCoro hinting at something soon, and the deleted tweet on "Gym Masters" from Nintendo, I think it's safe to say we have at least a small chance for some news.

I'd like to see the cover legends, as well as the covers of the games. I think because of that tweet too, we also might have a good chance of seeing at least something these new gyms. And please let's get some footage of the starters in-game, and more footage of the game in general. I need to see more of this beautiful region!

I’m thinking cover legends, professor, maybe the rival and possibly regional bird, regional rodent, and/or regional bug.

What I’m really hoping for is some new baby Pokémon or new evolutions that might appear in the anime before gen 8 drops officially like they used to do for Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and (to a far lesser extent) Kalos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom