• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pokemon with obvious LGBTQ+ storyline and characters would be so amazing!
Like, come on, this is a 21st century and we need an open minded mindsets that respect all people to all kinds.
It won't hurt anyone right ?
The best we're going to get is the Male protag/that one hiker, the female protag/Shauna, and the female protag/Lilly. It's okay as long as long as it's subtext.

If it's not subtext and becomes a part of the story, the game will be banned in Russia and a bunch of other countries or cause more work for the localizers to edit the stuff out. The latter probably won't happen since the EU was the one that made Nintendo get rid of the slots but everyone got the game corners taken away.

Take note, some stuff like the cursing and the insults were more so liberties overexaggerating their non belief.

My, such pleasant responses...

I'm kind of curious what Meteordyna is. I would assume it's a major Legendary since (as mentioned before) its name alludes to the new gimmick and new gimmicks are usually tied to major ones like Necrozma to Z-Moves. The question I have is what that role of importance it would have since due to the overlap with the other rumor there should be a fourth Legendary in Eternatus, and unlike Meteordyna where the leaker wasn't sure how important it was, Eternatus was clearly thought of as the wolves' counterparts as the leaker took them to be opposites. So unless Eternatus is Meteordyna (which isn't likely due to how TCPi handles the Cover Legendaries' names across languages), it doesn't seem to be their 'third legendary', so where would it fit relative to the others?

When can we expect Pokemon news today?
Taking a look back in time:

Summary here: Misc info on staff, route 1 info, tiny bits of story info, popplio knowing disarming voice, new battle mode (battle royale). Total of 3 new pokemon, all early route. New abilities

and
Nintendo direct before pokemon xy development roundtable

Summary here: New type (fairy). Two new pokemon + name of a third (vivillon, noivern, spewpa). New features - sky battle (leaked) and pokemon amie (announced).

Pokemon xy devlopment roundtable (think: probably like pokemon treehouse)

summary here: general info (languages + connectivity + visible IVs/EVs), three new pokemon, rideable pokemon, more amie and sky battle info, new wild battle type.

Overall: Some light general info, one or two new mechanics (I'm expecting one or elaborating on ones we've already seen, considering we got a lot of info last week), probably 3-5 new pokemon. Possible tiny bits of story information. I expect we'll get info on the new amie/refresh system, personally.

edit: I just realized you said when not what LMAO

Last edited:
Taking a look back in time:

View attachment 119566

Summary here: Misc info on staff, route 1 info, tiny bits of story info, popplio knowing disarming voice, new battle mode (battle royale). Total of 3 new pokemon, all early route. New abilities

and
Nintendo direct before pokemon xy development roundtable
View attachment 119567
Summary here: New type (fairy). Two new pokemon + name of a third (vivillon, noivern, spewpa). New features - sky battle (leaked) and pokemon amie (announced).

Pokemon xy devlopment roundtable (think: probably like pokemon treehouse)
View attachment 119568
summary here: general info (languages + connectivity + visible IVs/EVs), three new pokemon, rideable pokemon, more amie and sky battle info, new wild battle type.

Overall: Some light general info, one or two new mechanics (I'm expecting one or elaborating on ones we've already seen, considering we got a lot of info last week), probably 3-5 new pokemon. Possible tiny bits of story information. I expect we'll get info on the new amie/refresh system, personally.
Any idea when are we having the direct today?

Could it be censored and then released in your country?
Nintendo doesn't care about my country, if eshop availability is any indication. Also, it might make the problem worse. If you know about Steven Universe, then you will remember what happened when they censored Ruby and Sapphire's relationship in the UK version.

To explain the problems in my country: The specific issue is gay marriage. It is still not legal in my country. However, both sides are pretty vocal (and annoying). The last presidential elections were between a candidate that was lazy but kept promising to approve it, while the other was more or less like Trump, but fundamentalist and homophobic. Thankfully, the lazy one won, but haven't done anything to fix, well, anything. Let's just say that nobody is happy. On the plus side, no (physical) violence happened.

Since Pokémon is extremely well known and kids media it might end up being in the center of that controversy, which might get it banned.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just being paranoid after how last elections went (they were extremely annoying), specially considering no other game has been banned as far as I know, or any media aside from that one South Park episode.

Stick Bash a new Grookey move?

Grass ,
physical,
damage dealing ,
SOUND move ?

Stick and bash would suggest that and should be that in my opinion. Interesting will be the effect of it.

Interesting it hit the sheep and cause great damage despite it having "Fluffy".
Could it mean that sound moves go through Fluffy like Long Reach or is it the effect of this move?
interesting if it would break through abilities and shielding moves then even Soundproof users would have a problem with that.

I think power 75 or 80?

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't care about my country, if eshop availability is any indication. Also, it might make the problem worse. If you know about Steven Universe, then you will remember what happened when they censored Ruby and Sapphire's relationship in the UK version.

To explain the problems in my country: The specific issue is gay marriage. It is still not legal in my country. However, both sides are pretty vocal (and annoying). The last presidential elections were between a candidate that was lazy but kept promising to approve it, while the other was more or less like Trump, but fundamentalist and homophobic. Thankfully, the lazy one won, but haven't done anything to fix, well, anything. Let's just say that nobody is happy. On the plus side, no (physical) violence happened.

Since Pokémon is extremely well known and kids media it might end up being in the center of that controversy, which might get it banned.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just being paranoid after how last elections went (they were extremely annoying), specially considering no other game has been banned as far as I know, or any media aside from that one South Park episode.
I wish I could sad react.

Oof my bad I thought that said what not when @_@ omg I'm tired (too tired to read properly but awake enough to make that whole big post analysing past e3 reveals apparently)

12PM ET/9AM PT
Your info was useful to me anyway! Thanks!

And seeing the LGBT discussion, I too wish that we had a sad react...

I don't know if it will pop up during the E3 Direct, but I think its likely we'll see something new today during the demo. My guess is maybe a couple new Pokemon. I wanna say the chipmunk Pokemon is likely, and maybe the electric corgi the Dynamax Rumor mentions.
I'm hoping to see the corgi too - I also hope that the leaker got its name wrong, because pamper sounds like an awful name for various reasons...(even just "Pemper" would be better, like pembroke corgi, or pamber)

Stick Bash a new Grookey move?

Grass ,
physical,
damage dealing ,
SOUND move ?

Stick and bash would suggest that and should be that in my opinion. Interesting will be the effect of it.

Interesting it hit the sheep and cause great damage despite it having "Fluffy".
Could it mean that sound moves go through Fluffy like Long Reach or is it the effect of this move?
interesting if it would break through abilities and shielding moves then even Soundproof users would have a problem with that.

I think power 75 or 80?
Sorry dude, but I don't think Sound type will be a thing if not ever. Pretty sure Stick Bash is just a Grass type move like Leafage is to Rowlet, and the move might not even be that strong, just Grookey might have a high attack stat.

Sorry dude, but I don't think Sound type will be a thing if not ever. Pretty sure Stick Bash is just a Grass type move like Leafage is to Rowlet, and the move might not even be that strong, just Grookey might have a high attack stat.
I think maybe they were suggesting it's a sound-based move like uproar or screech rather than a new sound type?

What if we don't get any new news today at E3 and it's just the demo playable there. I mean, I doubt Masuda would have flown all the way here to California for just that, but I really want to keep my expectations low for tomorrow, Pokemon wise, only because we just had a direct. Animal Crossing news, on the other hand, I'm fully expecting and will be, once again, extremely disappointed if it's not shown at E3.

Also, do we think, if there is new Pokemon info at E3, will we see it on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd day?

More info on Zacian and Zamazenta would definitely be nice, though it's probably too soon to show off what they were preparing themselves for in the trailer. Do we think Zayero could be a think?

Leon - Lionel (Messi reference?).
I hope it is a Messi reference. As a Cristiano Ronaldo fan myself, I would gladly kick Lionel's ass in-game. I would probably name my Player Character "Ronaldo" just to make the final battle against Lionel more worthwhile. ;)

Last edited:
I hope it is a Messi reference. As a Cristiano Ronaldo fan, I would gladly kick Lionel's ass in-game. I would probably name my Player Character "Ronaldo" just to make the final battle against Lionel more worthwhile. ;)
As someone that played on a EU Spanish server in Warcraft, go ahead. The people in that server worshipped Messi like a god.

not sound type but sound based move. We will see.
After Leafage I think grass needs a better move when compared with water and fire.
Taking that "water" got Razor Shell in the past.
Fire got "Mystical Fire".
Also it would break substitutes and we don't know if they didn't created a pokemon with strong ability similar like "Flaffy" or better that could be weak to sound moves?

Looking at past early moves like Leafage(40, physical), Leaf Tornado(65, special), Vine Whip(45, physical) grass needs something different , strong and useful with secondary effect.

at least it would be very different from Leaf Blade and Seed Bomb.
Imagine a grass sound move with effect like Feint , wouldnt be bad taking that grass isnt offensive that good like normal type and would make sense with sword and shield theme.

Last edited:
I hope it is a Messi reference. As a Cristiano Ronaldo fan, I would gladly kick Lionel's ass in-game. I would probably name my Player Character "Ronaldo" just to make the final battle against Lionel more worthwhile. ;)
Given that the japenese name is Dande, from dandelion, I think they just took the second part of the word and worked on it for reference the flower as well. The same went for the Italian translation, when they call him Dandel.

Given that the japenese name is Dande, from dandelion, I think they just took the second part of the word and worked on it for reference the flower as well. The same went for the Italian translation, when they call him Dandel.
Yeah, but I wouldn't put that out of the way, considering how this game has prominent soccer-like stadiums and soccer is prominent in both LA and Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom