• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they don't spend too much time on one game, that's really the only worry I have for the Direct, why not show more about multiple announced games while announcing new ones?

I hope they don't spend too much time on one game, that's really the only worry I have for the Direct, why not show more about multiple announced games while announcing new ones?
Well, this definitvely won't apply to pokemon, considering they did a 15 minutes direct a week ago. 3-4 minutes at best is what I'm expecting.

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1138431087447875585

#Pokemon Fact:
️
6/11
⏰
9:00 a.m. PDT
1f4cd.png
#E32019 Need we say more?
⚔️
️
Look out for #PokemonSwordShield news in today’s #NintendoDirect! http://bit.ly/2LLksB0

Perhaps Sword and Shield will be X and Y done right.
It's too early to tell. Maybe you are right.

But for now (emphasis on "now") SwSh feels to me like XY done wrong: Dynamax is basically Mega-Evolution's annoying and unpopular younger sibling, and the Galar region is the Kalos region's less sexy cousin.

Last edited:
It's too early to tell. Maybe you are right.

But for now, SwSh feels to me like "XY done wrong": Dynamax is Mega-Evolution's annoying sibling, and Galar is Kalos's boring cousin.

For me, the Dynamax system is quite ambivalent, based on what they shown.

In terms of gameplay purpose, I much prefer Dynamax to Megas because they’re available to every Pokémon, it’s something that has a limit in turns in a battle, and the fact that gym leaders (and possibly main characters in the story) use it as well.

On the other hand, I prefer a transformation then a size increase. Although my perception might change if there’s a story reason, for example as some theorized, that the third legendary is connected with this phenomenon.

My hype when i woke up: zero
now: over 9000
SwSh news is my new drug : p

I much prefer Dynamax to Megas because they’re available to every Pokémon, it’s something that has a limit in turns in a battle, and the fact that gym leaders (and possibly main characters in the story) use it as well.
That's my biggest issue with Dynamax, actually.

Unlike Megas and Z Moves (both of which are pretty easy to ignore, if you dislike them), Dynamax seems to be very much shoved down our throats, whether we like it or not.

Its a little over 3 hours until the direct, I believe?

I'm looking forward to it! (Well, most of it- my feelings on Fire Emblem are pretty negative and they're bound to cover it, so that's gonna be boring for me. Fingers crossed for more Pokemon info and that Animal Crossing news everyone's hoping for though!)

If that new leak is to be believed, Wooloo might be the early route mammal, which would be interesting- we've never had something quite so big fill that role before. It also makes more sense as the early route mammal than the potential chipmunk, to me, because the chipmunk's line sounds like it already has a different gimmick and is more akin to a Pokemon like Crabrawler. I guess I could see Wooloo evolving into something Stoutland-esque?

It'll be interesting to see what they offer for the playable demo, too- my most optimistic E3 prediction would be that we get a little more information in the Direct itself, a Treehouse demo that shows an early part of the story and some more early route Pokemon ala what we got for SuMo a couple years ago, and a demo that shows off a different part of the game play, (my guess is the wild area). My more pessimistic expectations are that we get no Direct screen time and the Treehouse folks just play the same demo that's on the showfloor, but even then we're likely to see something new.
Can you believe Wooloo is actually just 60cm tall? My heart can't handle it ;___; It makes it just a little taller than Patrat and Bidoof.

EDIT: Happy bday PkmnTrainerV, hope you have a nice day!

Looks like we are gonna see new Sword and Shield details in the Direct! I figure its just gonna be a couple new Pokemon and maybe something like refresh and customization?
Ohh I'd love if they showed something that, especially since the clothing options they showed us for the other trainers in that example raid footage looked like they had a lot of potential. All I really want is to give the girl trainer long pants and cool jackets, and they've got the cool jacket part down- It also looks like they might let you layer jackets over shirts?? Which would be exciting if it is the case!

And Refresh/Amie have been one of my absolute favorite additions to the Pokemon series, so getting to see the next version of that is something I really want. The camping is honestly the thing about that leak that seemed the most exciting to me, so fingers crossed!

That's my biggest issue with Dynamax, actually.

Unlike Megas and Z Moves (both of which are pretty easy to ignore, if you dislike them), Dynamax seems to be very much shoved down our throats, whether we like it or not.
I understand your point, in the sense that if you don’t like the mechanic, you don’t have to look at it or use it if other characters don’t use it.

On the other hand, though, if you like it, using it makes the game easier since your opponent doesn’t use it (expecially in XY which were quite easy games already).

I feel probably similar to you in regards of gigantic Pokémon, although I think a story explanation done properly might ease my personal feelings on how the new mechanic aesthetically looks like.

In a perfect work with infinite resources in development, I’d have loved a mix between the Megas in terms of appearance and Dynamax in terms of mechanics/availability for everyone.

I hope we get same species Pokémon being differently sized and that we also notice it while playing.

So let's say there's a cutscene with Leon and his Charizard and you have a Charizard too but a bigger one, you notice that your Charizard is bigger than Leon's.

COuld be hard to pull off, but they could start with just 3 'standard' sizes.

Well, now that it looks like we will at least be getting something in the direct itself, I am going to predict a little more than my earlier side of probably only seeing the early route Pokemon.

• Early route Pokemon (nothing new here)
  • Typings for Zacian and Zamazenta, maybe something with what they were doing at the end of their reveal trailer
  • Something that is unpredictable, something a bit bigger than this stuff: a few brand new Pokemon that aren't the early routers, more into the Dynamax phenomenon, just anything big. (I would die if it ended up being the new Eeveelution or something like that)
Whatever way it goes, I definitely think now that there will be something bigger in there than typings for legends and early route Pokemon. I know that early route Pokemon is not the most exciting thing to some people, and going off of how they revealed SM's early route Pokemon in the Treehouse, I don't think this is something that could push having a part in the Direct itself. As cool as typings for legendaries are as well, I think it's something they could have saved till a slightly later date, without them having to be put into a Nintendo Direct. I think these things can totally be included, but I think they might want to do something bigger with their time on the stage, inspire the hardcore fans to watch and just want to make them buy the games more, and bring in new fans.

That's just my two cents though. For all we know it could be very little info, or even just a rehash on old info (gosh I hope it's not that). Pokemon is really hard to predict as to when it wants to drop news.

I prefer if they save the demo for the Treehouse event so that they can show more mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom