• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this by Pypixy on deviantart:

impidimp_by_pypixy_dd945d5-pre.jpg

Welp my brother just informed me that from what all he's read about Gamefreak's terrible decisions that he's never buying a new pokemon game again.

So looks like I won't be getting other-version exclusive pokemon at all since he's literally the only person I know not-online who might have played it.

: ) Thanks Gamefreak. I hate yer guts.
What about your girlfriend?? Is she not getting the game or is she getting that same version as you or does she live far away?

Am I the only one who really didn’t like Impidimp and Yamper much? Impidimp looks like a child's 2-d paper doodle whereas Yamper (I keep calling it Pamper..) looks nice, but currently looks like it’s made of plastic. Will have to wait for official art for verdict on that one.
I dislike them both. I think Impidimp is ugly and I think the reason I dislike Yamper is just because its eyes are too far apart lol...

What about your girlfriend?? Is she not getting the game or is she getting that same version as you or does she live far away?
Sadly my girlfriend stopped being able to play the cumbersome motion control requiring nintendo games due to the disease she has. On top of that, she lives in another state.

OwO I Can tell you, I am filled with the fury of 1000 suns and enough salt to absorb the world's oceans.

Edit: BUGGERS BETTER NOT BE TALKIN SMACK ABOUT MY IMP SON!! (9O-O)9 gonna be hell to pay

I dislike them both. I think Impidimp is ugly and I think the reason I dislike Yamper is just because its eyes are too far apart lol...
Yamper's mouth looks weird and it’s eyes look lifeless to me... hopefully it evolves into something better. The design could be so much better with a few alterations (just make fur visible...).

Currently both of them look like they’re out of a children's cartoon.

Vikavolt, Hydreigon, Flygon, Lucario, Tyranitar, Snorlax, Eeveelutions, Abomasnow, Gengar, Mudsdale, Charizard, Roserade, Arcanine, Machamp, Galvantula, Manectric, Gardevoir, Gallade, Goodra, Mimikyu, Weavile, Clefable, and Togekiss. These are all pokemon people are known to play that can go into the games. And the dex isn't even done

I wonder if camping will be a feature in this game.

So uhhh, I wasn't going to post this here because it's not completely accurate and right now the range is really big and I was afraid of people's reactions/judging/pointing out flaws lol

But I have been doing a thing where I analyze the news speed of past pokemon games (up through black/white) and how quickly the pokemon were revealed to how many are revealed + found for SwSh. It's kind of convoluted but will probably get more accurate as time goes on. I did this for sun/moon too but they surprised us with a crazy fast news cycle so it was inaccurate.

(These are for at release numbers of new pokemon, not including extra event mythicals etc announced later)

Here's what I calculated after the news drop last week:

and here's now (very large range lmao. all because of the sheer amount of pokemon in black and white)

I suppose I'll put these on my profile or in my signature starting now. They're really fun to do though.

If we don't get anything else by the end of June these numbers will plummet drastically.

Last edited:
So uhhh, I wasn't going to post this here because it's not completely accurate and right now the range is really big and I was afraid of people's reactions/judging/pointing out flaws lol

But I have been doing a thing where I analyze the news speed of past pokemon games (up through black/white) and how quickly the pokemon were revealed to how many are revealed + found for SwSh. It's kind of convoluted but will probably get more accurate as time goes on. I did this for sun/moon too but they surprised us with a crazy fast news cycle so it was inaccurate.

(These are for at release numbers of new pokemon, not including extra event mythicals etc announced later)

and here's now (very large range lmao. all because of the sheer amount of pokemon in black and white)

I suppose I'll put these on my profile or in my signature starting now. They're really fun to do though.

If we don't get anything by the end of June these numbers will plummet drastically.
Oh, that's a really interesting calculation! I myself love to go through different things we see in the trailers and write all my ideas down on what we could see there. I especially love it when we get to see new places to I can speculate on them.

And I completely get that feeling. Whenever I post an idea that I have spent some time into I get a bit nervous. We sure do like to tear each other apart here. We are all freaking terrifying sometimes.

For example Vivillon wasn't in SM-regional dex but it was coded in the game. So you could encounter Vivillon in Battle Tree, in online battles, you could get one via trade. But now if Vivillon isn't in galar-dex you won't see that Pokemon at all. So supposed "casual fans" actually have a reason to be sorry. Because instead of battling with 809+ Pokemon, they will only battle the same chosen 500.

By the way Vivillon wasn't in a regional dex since XY. And we have Butterfree in galar, i don't think gamefreak will add another butterfly Pokemon. So who thinks excluding Pokemon out will help players try new things, think again. You will be able to use 151 + Lucario + tyranitar and other over popular Pokemon.

For example Vivillon wasn't in SM-regional dex but it was coded in the game. So you could encounter Vivillon in Battle Tree, in online battles, you could get one via trade. But now if Vivillon isn't in galar-dex you won't see that Pokemon at all. So supposed "casual fans" actually have a reason to be sorry. Because instead of battling with 809+ Pokemon, they will only battle the same chosen 500.

By the way Vivillon wasn't in a regional dex since XY. And we have Butterfree in galar, i don't think gamefreak will add another butterfly Pokemon. So who thinks excluding Pokemon out will help players try new things, think again. You will be able to use 151 + Lucario + tyranitar and other over popular Pokemon.
If with 151 you mean the original ones, it seems that Masuda replied to a question about transferring Pokémon from LGPE and said that they have to be in the Galar dex.

I don’t think every single Pokémon from Kanto will be in.

If we don't get anything else by the end of June these numbers will plummet drastically.

Taking an average of your numbers suggests ~113 new pkmn, which would be decent.

The sheer number of new pokes in BW was amazing, rally gives it a lot of replay value imo.

Quick question watching the gameplay long video (also the update to the website): While I see a nice ORAS throw back in the sneaking in the overworld does this mean random battles are a thing of the past?

That overworld is barren either way.

That aside, the raid battles, while not horribly amazing ARE new grounds tread for this franchise the mechanics seem pretty polished and dare I say, fun.

As for what seems to be a cutoff, I assume they'll either patch them all in down the line or make more titles (hopefully updating older versions this time for spread compatibility and not punishing players for NOT wanting to go after the shiny new toy) to obtain friends from the past (and start from scratch). From the roster of monsters shown off thus far it doesn't seem to be a complete and total Kanto wankfest. And let's hope GF is smart enough to keep it that way.

I want to see where they're going with that.

If with 151 you mean the original ones, it seems that Masuda replied to a question about transferring Pokémon from LGPE and said that they have to be in the Galar dex.

I don’t think every single Pokémon from Kanto will be in.
Butterfree line
Charizard line
Machamp line
Gengar line
Arcanine line
Seaking line
Onix line
Raichu line
Snorlax line
Rhydon line
Gyrados line
Ninetails line
Dugtrio line
Clefairy line
They have been confirmed, and I am pretty confident that we will have more.

Quick question watching the gameplay long video (also the update to the website): While I see a nice ORAS throw back in the sneaking in the overworld does this mean random battles are a thing of the past?
Random battles are still in. They actually showed/talked about that during treehouse yesterday. You can even get random encounters in the wild area, alongside the overworld pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom