• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully the world hobby fair news is brand new and not just a reiteration of what we've heard.

I wouldn't expect anything major (eg, gigantomax forms) to be officially revealed to till late july/early august (iirc thats when megas and alola forms were revealed?) but hopefully we hear some kind of response from gamefreak or TPC soon about the current controversy. . Masuda hasn't been active on social media in almost a week (highly unusual but understandable) and there are now literally 800+ replies to every tweet on the official account asking for the nat dex to come back.

The amount of dislikes on the treehouse video is at approx 60K now and it'll only get higher and higher. I don't imagine this will damage sales all that much, but it is definitely damaging the brand, which is why I think it'll be addressed

The amount of dislikes on the treehouse video is at approx 60K now and it'll only get higher and higher. I don't imagine this will damage sales all that much, but it is definitely damaging the brand, which is why I think it'll be addressed
It's already been addressed. They tried to explain it more in the latest Famitsu. And while some of their answers were okay, the rest still makes us skeptic. If they were to address it again then it'd mostly be the same.

It's already been addressed. They tried to explain it more in the latest Famitsu. And while some of their answers were okay, the rest still makes us skeptic. If they were to address it again then it'd mostly be the same.

wouldn't the famitsu article/interview have been done before they saw the actual backlash though? I imagine that was more of a preemptive response

So, what side features would you guys like to see in Galar (other than the National Pokédex)?
Apricorn balls, and being able to get as many of them as I want to. I love them but never really get to properly use them unless I play Johto games. (USUM was a bad joke and spit into the face in that regard, okay)
Otherwise a halfway decent side-thing to do. Contests were pretty neat, something on that or a similar concept that's not at all related to battling would be cool. Mini-games to make Poke-Food (gen 3 & gen 4) out of berries were also nice, small things. I'd love for that to return.
Something like the Dex-Nav I'd also love to return, and while we're at it, bring back Soaring from ORAS.

That's about all I could think of right now, but once other people give their two cents, it definitely reminds me of stuff I'd like to see but forgot to type now. xD

So, what side features would you guys like to see in Galar (other than the National Pokédex)?
The elimination of Tutorial Island.

I get that with each new generation it is supposed to draw in a new crowd of players who never played before. But it really should have been optional or at least not so obnoxious. Give kids some credit by figuring stuff out themselves.

The elimination of Tutorial Island.

I get that with each new generation it is supposed to draw in a new crowd of players who never played before. But it really should have been optional or at least not so obnoxious. Give kids some credit by figuring stuff out themselves.
Not sure that's a side feature, but I think a lot of fans would appreciate that.

Something like Sinnoh's Underground. The mine we saw in the first trailer gave me some hope that there could be Underground interactivity between SwSh and the Gen 4 remakes, and that would be pretty cool.

Also the ability to ride our own pokemon, but we already know that ain't happening. -hisses at the stupid bike-

It's not a side feature. But after how obnoxious Sun and Moon were about holding the player's hand throughout the entire journey and forcing down cutscenes for every couple of steps, I'd honestly consider it an improved feature.

Or at the very least the option to skip cutscenes, which really should have been in those games. If I could have easily watched them on youtube later.

Aside from that...Maybe some kind of equivalent to the VS Seeker. But unless I see it, I doubt it.

Oh! And I wanted the bike to return (bike > Pokeride) but now it includes Rotom so I'm again unhappy by it. :c

Agreed on the tutorial thing, though. Please just make it optional, and don't force people who literally played since the first games go through the nth time of "This is how you catch a wild Pokémon!"

i doubt SwSh will reduce the number of cutscenes or make them skippable. it'll probably even be about the same as SM, although it might feel better because everything isn't islands.

i doubt SwSh will reduce the number of cutscenes or make them skippable. it'll probably even be about the same as SM, although it might feel better because everything isn't islands.
If SwSh is as bad as SM, then I honestly wouldn't even buy them as used copies. The constant overuse of cutscenes (and especially that awful one in the ending) along with the forced linearity are precisely what made me dislike SM so much. I do not want to have to ever go through that again.

If SwSh is as bad as SM, then I honestly wouldn't even buy them as used copies. The constant overuse of cutscenes (and especially that awful one in the ending) along with the forced linearity are precisely what made me dislike SM so much. I do not want to have to ever go through that again.
the number of cutscenes was normal, the only problem is that it constantly had to load a different perspective for them (whereas most prior games just kept with the top-down perspective). one can only hope that SwSh handles the dialogue perspective better this time.

Sorry that you're bothered by people discussing Sword and Shield on the Sword and Shield discussion thread. Feel free to look at other threads if you want to find a new topic.
You've all literally only been discussing Dexit for 200 pages. Take your sarcasm and holier than thou attitude to another thread yourself, TechSkylander.

In another note, I just booted up my copy of US, and renewed my Bank subscription. My Pokemon were all still there and my sub expired in November.

In addition, I was standing in front of a grass patch on Route 8 in Alola and was surprised to note the difference that the grass has in SWSH. It's been a while since I've played, so it's nice to see Galar looking so beautiful, comparing it with Alola, which is still beautiful.

battle frontier or similar fun ways to battle (unlikely because of the reasoning behind not putting one in ORAS)
contests or pokeathlon or some similar challenge
improvements to the amie/refresh feature (bringing back mini games maybe, but not making it the only way to get food, and being able to rotate your pokemon to pet their whole body or even them walking around the amie/refresh(/camp?) area instead of standing still, or having multiple out at once and interacting with each other)

If SwSh is as good as SM, I'd buy them at launch (but I already will haha)

Has anyone mentioned Supertraining to return yet? Because I'd really like that, I already loved that in gen 6.
A battle frontier would be cool, too.

Those "catch and show me this Pokémon's dex entry" requests can be dropped, imo, although other side quests would be kinda neat. I don't know, making the world seem a bit more lively with NPCs who have another role but just standing around to hand you an item or give you a random Pokemon world fact lol
Is it obvious how I'm into mini-game stuff?

the number of cutscenes was normal, the only problem is that it constantly had to load a different perspective for them (whereas most prior games just kept with the top-down perspective). one can only hope that SwSh handles the dialogue perspective better this time.
It didn't feel normal to me, and I have replayed the older games (Gens 1 to 5) several times now.

The problem was that more often than not, there were constant reminders telling me what I should be doing, where I am supposed to go, and what is happening. And many times these reminders were encountered in places where the road ahead is already clearly marked. There were literally moments in the game where a cutscene would finish, then I'm only allowed to take a couple more steps before I'm forced to watch yet another cutscene.

Tutorial Island, oops I mean Melemele Island, was especially bad because they felt the need to stop you to explain literally every single thing. It wasn't that we're told for the hundredth time "This is how you catch a Pokemon." In reality it was, "This is a Pokemon Center. Let's step inside. By the way, there is Poke Mart here." "This is a clothing boutique. Let's stop here so Lillie can buy some new clothes." "This giant school teaches everything about Pokemon. You need to complete your exam here." "This is where wild Pokemon are found. Go crawl in the grass." It was just a constant, right-in-your-face tutorial after tutorial. It was never this bad.

And I hoped that it would come to an end by the time I was finally through with all that, but it hadn't. I was still stopped by quest markers that are scattered everywhere and told what I should be doing. It greatly limited my sense of freedom and independence, and thus my enjoyment with the game. I do not like being treated like a forgetful toddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom