• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Features that should return? Here's just a few my list:
  • Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, and Hordes return. Sun/Moon removed them to prioritize putting trainer models during battles , which I also liked. Now with the power of the Switch, I cant see why they can't pull off both simultaneously this time around.
  • Trainer rebattles. This was a series staple for three gens, and was removed for some reason in Black/White. ORAS brought it back, but only for one game.
  • Seals. This gave a cool effect when your pokemon came out of the pokeball in gen 4. With todays hardware it would be even cooler.
  • Regional variants. Cool concept that really worked well. Cant see why they cant do the same for Galar.
  • Seasons. It's a cool feature in gen 5, sad that it never came back.
  • Bases/house you can customize. It was awesome in gen 3 and 4. Again ORAS brought it back and did it exceptionally well, but it was never brought back after that.
And this is just scratching the surface. Havent even gotten to some of the bigger things that were removed, such as a competent post game.
I'm pleasantly surprised that a lot of people agreed with me on bringing back these omissions.

Something else I want additions and changes to, is the existing core battle system. I love the battle system (its great), but its also getting stale at the same time. No, I'm not talking about gimmicks that would be removed the generation after, I'm talking about changes to the core system itself.

Generation 1-5 all had changes, that have stuck with pokemon all the way up to now, and will still be for a long time:

Gen 1: The one started it all, so it makes sense that it didnt "change" anything. Good start tho.
Gen 2: Breeding, Held Items, Weather conditions, dark/steel type
Gen 3: Abilities and Natures, plus the redone EV/IV system, double battles
Gen 4: Physical/Special Split (which I still consider the single best improvement the series has ever gotten)
Gen 5: A bit more light in terms of changes, but still gave hidden abilities and infinite TM's to us, along with triple/rotation battles (okay this one was removed last gen but I'm betting on it returning with SW/SH)).

Generation 6/7 were focused megas and z-moves, which were discarded after a single gen each. I want improvements to the core (for example, something like the addition of dual type moves). Rather than these super-saiyans and kaijus.

When cold, I think they mean colder than Temperate.
The UK is a temperate climate. There are very few places in the world that are colder than temperate and the UK most certainly is not one of them.

Here is a map for reference- Temperate climate - Wikipedia

I also find quite annoying the huge use of gaussian blur (which basically leaves everything around the focus point pretty blurry). Here's an example:

View attachment 119827

The games would have looked more definied without it.
=/ Man that screenshot really highlights how bad the lighting on the models is in these games.

Out of all the screw ups in SwSh sofar, Dexit is the least important one for me.

I mean, we are POKÉMON FANS. I'm sure you'll find at least 6 Pokémon we like to make a team. The Pokédex will surely be quite big, to make up for Dexit.

And that's coming from someone like me, who is probably going to skip SwSh. I just don't think Dexit is the problem.

Last edited:
The UK is a temperate climate. There are very few places in the world that are colder than temperate and the UK most certainly is not one of them.

Here is a map for reference- Temperate climate - Wikipedia

=/ Man that screenshot really highlights how bad the lighting on the models is in these games.
When they said they wanted to give all the pokemon in the Galar region a chance to shine, they probably meant that litterally XD

Joking apart...apparently they gave all pokemon shining borders, no matter the time of the day or the actual light. When dynamaxed those borders become pink.

On the topic of UK climate VS France climate... I will just say that a location like Azure Bay from Kalos, wouldn't be possible in Galar xD

France is warmer than the UK.

Last edited:
Galar is NOT UK, Kalos is NOT France, all regions are NOT the same as other real life areas of the world. Even though they are based on certain landscapes and countries in real life, their geography and temperatures differs. UK is temperate in real life, but to the Pokemon universe, Galar is a Cold Region. Not all have to be completely exact.

Not losing my temperature here, I was just making a point, hence why I had to use capital letters.

Out of all the screw ups in SwSh sofar, Dexit is the least important one for me.

I mean, we're supposed to be POKÉMON FANS. Not only fans of certain Pokémon. Of course, we all have our favourites and we hope they are included in SwSh... But even if some of them aren't, I'm sure you'll find 6 Pokémon we like to make a team. The Pokédex will surely be quite big, to make up for Dexit.

And that's coming from someone like me, who is probably going to skip SwSh. I just don't think Dexit is the problem.
This isn't about building a team for a single playthrough. Their policy means that we can never know when a given Pokemon will be usable again.

This isn't about building a team for a single playthrough. Their policy means that we can never know when a given Pokemon will be usable again.
Fair enough. This new "direction", could only work if they assure us all Pokémon will be usable in a given generation, across the different games of said generation.

Galar is NOT UK, Kalos is NOT France, all regions are NOT the same as other real life areas of the world. Even though they are based on certain landscapes and countries in real life, their geography and temperatures differs. UK is temperate in real life, but to the Pokemon universe, Galar is a Cold Region. Not all have to be completely exact.

Not losing my temperature here, I was just making a point.
Was that pun really necessary?

And the regions are too the same as their real world counterparts. How could I be a proud Unovan if they weren't (I'm joking of course).

I strongly believe that the Nintendo response is fake. It's way too long and no simple employee has a right to say more on this topic than even Masuda has done, let alone encourage fans to voice their complaints on social media. Also:

Thank you to the mods for their help! Thank you to the people who believed me! Thank you to everybody generating discussion and supporting each other! Apologies to everybody who was snapped at/downvoted on my behalf! Thank you to Wholesome Nintendo Person, you’re breathtaking! Thank you and goodnight, I need a heckin’ good sleep!
This screams that she's trying too hard to get attention.

Last edited:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c1y1n6/so_i_spoke_to_nintendo_customer_service_i_think/

At first, it seemed to be a very suspicious post that seemed too good to be true. However, the subreddit moderators were able to confirm the email 'to their best of knowledge'.

If so... Then it speaks a lot to how we can give feedback about the game - Via social media.
The most interesting info is actually that GF delivered the boiling potato to Nintendo and Nintendo sent it back to GF.

This video is very interesting, as the lore of Sword and Shield may tie into the Gen 4 remake next year. The Dynamaxing phenomenon may have something to do with the Distortion World, where the interfering with Space and Time causes the Pokemon to grow gigantic in size. One of the plates of Arceus in Gen 4 mentioned something about it fighting Giants at the dawn of creation, and that the Giant Pokemon is likely the reason to Giratina's banishment. The hill figures, the Gym symbols could also be of the Lake Guardians helping to stop the Giant Pokemon in time long ago. A fun theory that's fun to watch and speculate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN5Ypc08IZg

Not losing my temperature here, I was just making a point, hence why I had to use capital letters.
It's a cold region based on what- the one snowy area? Have you looked at Kalos's map?

When they said they wanted to give all the pokemon in the Galar region a chance to shine, they probably meant that litterally XD

Joking apart...apparently they gave all pokemon shining borders, no matter the time of the day or the actual light. When dynamaxed those borders become pink.

View attachment 119828
=/ Can't say that it was the best lighting choice... I think it contributes greatly to that "plastic-y" feel that some have mentioned.

One of the plates of Arceus in Gen 4 mentioned something about it fighting Giants at the dawn of creation, and that the Giant Pokemon is likely the reason to Giratina's banishment.

"When the universe was created, its shards became this Plate."
"The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate."
"Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One."
"Three beings were born to bind time and space."
"Two make matter and three make spirit, shaping the world."
"The Original One breathed alone before the universe came."
"The powers of Plates are shared among Pokémon."
"The rightful bearer of a Plate draws from the Plate it holds."
No mention of giants here... And Giratina's banishment is always said to be because of its violence-if it was fighting a Giant Pokemon, why would Arceus banish it if it was doing the same thing?

No mention of giants here... And Giratina's banishment is always said to be because of its violence-if it was fighting a Giant Pokemon, why would Arceus banish it if it was doing the same thing?
''the power of defeated giants infuses this plate'' - That's what one of the plates said.

"The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate."

It won't turn out to be Dynamax, but the legend does mention giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom