• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-games like the Delta Episode is the thing that they should be doing for the first pair of games, getting the 3rd legendary story out of the way so a 3rd version doesn't have to exist. I prefer that they don't make another version of the game just with the content that's missing from the first two, this is why I highly prefer the remake route over the 3rd game, always had and always will.

My only beef with the Delta Episode is how abrupt it ended. What frustrated me in particular is that Zinnia pretty much went "ok my job is done" and up and left and so did her grandmother iirc. It would be nice if we could have a friendly battle with her, but it left a bad taste in my mouth knowing that when all is said is done, it's pretty much as if the Delta Episode never really happened in the first place. For what it's worth though, I did appreciate what we did get and the DE as a whole was enjoyable.

Also in regards to third versions: Part of me doubts that people are going to eat up what is essentially the same game re-sold, since those don't tend to sell overly well compared to the first two base titles, anyway. Game Freak was able to get away with it previously since $40 is probably not a whole lot when you're in the handheld market (Pokemon pretty much dominates there if I'm correct), but asking $60 like every other Switch game out there is going to be a much harder sell.

So basically, in handheld spaces, Game Freak didn't have a whole lot of competition and dominated because it's easy to get a (2/3)DS just for Pokemon. Switch though? With how (and I mean this positively) congested the Switch library is? People can easily pass up on Pokemon games if Game Freak half-asses things.

Last edited:
Yes. It doesn't need the extra content.

Hence my last point =P

People can easily pass up on Pokemon games if Game Freak half-asses things.

What I was saying, for clarity, is that there may be better options out there if people feel like Game Freak doesn't deserve their hard earned dollar and not feel like they're really missing out on a whole lot/not have anything else to play in the meantime. Not like the Switch is void of any other (J)RPGs to play.

It's likely a more difficult environment for "third versions" (as far as Pokemon goes) to sell well as opposed to outright sequels.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Fire Emblem Three Houses is going to be released on the Switch as well and it's going to be different from previous Fire Emblem games in some major way. So yeah, Pokemon really can't afford to keep doing 3rd versions if they want their franchise to be successful on the Switch.

Was Persona 5 a good game that was positively received to begin with?
It’s widely considered one of the best JRPGs in the generation (it is my favorite for sure), and one of the best JRPGs of all time, and it sold a lot (considering Persona’s usual sales), so I’d say it’s both a good (great) game, and was received well.

Don't forget that Fire Emblem Three Houses is going to be released on the Switch as well and it's going to be different from previous Fire Emblem games in some major way. So yeah, Pokemon really can't afford to keep doing 3rd versions if they want their franchise to be successful on the Switch.

I do agree that third versions should stop, but from what I saw online, there is a bit of skepticism/criticism on FE adopting the Persona/calendar system for the first part of the game.

Although the bulk of criticism of Three Houses, from what I gathered, is based on the graphics, with similar opinions that were mentioned about Sword and Shield.

Hence my last point =P

What I was saying, for clarity, is that there may be better options out there if people feel like Game Freak doesn't deserve their hard earned dollar and not feel like they're really missing out on a whole lot/not have anything else to play in the meantime. Not like the Switch is void of any other (J)RPGs to play.

It's a more difficult environment for "third versions" (as far as Pokemon goes) to sell well as opposed to outright sequels.
And my point is that Persona 5 R is akin to a third version, and yet the fans don't seem to mind too much because they're used to it. In light of Dexit, SwSh+ could just get 100 of the missing Pokemon and some story stuff. Who knows what the general reaction would be.

...to everyone using the pokedex entry to defend Wingull never flapping its wings- you really gotta understand that that doesn't mean that Wingull floats. It's like a seagull and rides on updrafts, but it still needs to flap its wings occasionally. The fact that it just solidly levitates isn't right.

Hate to revisit this but I've been gone a while. The point is that it's closer flavor-wise to the Pokedex entry if it doesn't flap its wings. It does flap them when you encounter it but saying it levitates isn't accurate. It does sway a bit like it's gliding on the wind. Joe Merrick posted some stuff on his Twitter page that points this all out quite nicely. I do agree that their slowing and turning animations could use some work, but there's nothing wrong with the gliding. Wingull has always done that and still does because that's what it's supposed to do for in-game lore reasons.

Ruffoldrowlit has made this video talking in depth the situation with Game Freak, mobile games and the Pokemon situation in general.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpsvyJuMYc

And I swear, if they don't bring in the old characters in SwSh and instead say that they're on Pokemon Masters, then they have certainly missed a great opportunity.

Please watch and see what you think.

I already watched it and this is why I want that bill that makes microtransactions illegal in the U.S. to pass because if that does pass, Pokemon GO won't be as profitable in the U.S. anymore. Now, of course, Pokemon will prioritize their Japanese audience, however, Niantic is an American company so that bill will affect Niantic negatively, which is needed for Pokemon GO to stop dominating Pokemon.

That video has a little too much gloom and doom to it. Game Freak will probably keep developing Pokemon games for a long time, but if they can cut corners and get away with it, they will. They could always put a nice spin on it.

Dexit complaints should never be phased out until the situation has been resolved.

Last edited:
That video has a little too gloom and doom to it. Game Freak will probably keep developing Pokemon games for a long time, but if they can cut corners and get away with it, they will. They could always put a nice spin on it.

Dexit complaints should never be phased out until the situation has been resolved.
And yet they will. The complaints can only last so long until people get tired and/or bored and move on to something else. The internet has the attention span of a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom