• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that means that I'm gonna have to start paying for all the free to play games in which I ignore the microtransactions because I can do that.
It's, unfortunately, a necessary evil to change the future for the better.

Am I the only one that likes third versions?
Everybody likes third versions. They're objectively great games.

People just hate the concept of third versions, because everything you like about a third version, should've already been in its preceding initial pair.

Here is an example: everything you love about Pokémon Platinum (the Battle Frontier, Distortion World, the expanded Pokédex, Looker, etc) should've already been included in Diamond and Pearl instead.

Last edited:
I think I'm just gonna avoid this thread, and Facebook, until the game's release day.

I already watched it and this is why I want that bill that makes microtransactions illegal in the U.S. to pass because if that does pass, Pokemon GO won't be as profitable in the U.S. anymore. Now, of course, Pokemon will prioritize their Japanese audience, however, Niantic is an American company so that bill will affect Niantic negatively, which is needed for Pokemon GO to stop dominating Pokemon.
I hope that never passes... GO is easily the best mobile game that I have ever played because it's free, it doesn't have ads, it has continuous playability and microtransactions are 100% optional. I don't understand the villainizing of it at all. It's being used to supplement the games, not take away from them.

And alright, I have just realized that I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about when it comes to post-game content. They cut the Battle Frontier from ORAS, okay- but it had the Battle Resort instead, and Kalos had the Battle Maison and Alola had the Battle Tree. Pretty sure every game has had a battle facility since battle facilities were first introduced, so what was it about the Battle Frontier that was so great and how many of the other games actually had "good" post-game content and why? What are people expecting when it comes to post-game content?

=/ Okay yeah, that rural thing is a problem that needs work. (Again, boyfriend has an issue with this.)

But I think opening it up to other developers to come up with stuff to do with your pokemon would be neat and could encourage more great spin-off games to be made? Like "Oh we made this really cool Pokemon spin-off and it stands fine on its own but if you want you could also transfer your pokemon from your main series game and play with them here too!" and that would be really neat to see what other developers come up with besides Game Freak. And I think that would also actually push Game Freak to put more into their own games to keep the main focus on them, because they can't just let the spin-offs all steal their spotlight either.

I mean, just look at GO- that became a hit and what did they do? They made Let's Go to work with it like "Hey look, we can also do that thing that has your attention." If we get more spin-off hits, then what will their response be? "Hello guys, look what we just added to our game because of this other thing that has your attention!"

And that's how we use the mobile market to put features back in pokemon. >=3
I will admit adding compatibility to the main series games did get me back into go when I had stopped playing it even after gen 2 and 3 mons got added. Lets go made me log back in for the first time in months. So go helps the main series and vice versa.

Not really, he's just so full of himself by ignoring the facts.

Nope he isn't. The subject in question (The one Verlis counters) says that Masuda said from the start that if they have enough time and resources, they would have included the National Dex.

But Masuda has never said that. This is a line from an interview from Masuda himself:
'We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon '

This line alone makes all the arguments the subject in question has invalid, since with saying this, he is exposed as being a liar, since an interview from Masuda says otherwise and as such is a fact, so the subject in question and not Verlisfy is ignoring the facts, especially since the subject in question also said LGPE aren't main series games, ignoring the fact that Gamefreak has confirmed otherwise.

Nope he isn't. The subject in question (The one Verlis counters) says that Masuda said from the start that if they have enough time and resources, they would have included the National Dex.

But Masuda has never said that. This is a line from an interview from Masuda himself:
'We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon '

This line alone makes all the arguments the subject in question has invalid, since with saying this, he is exposed as being a liar, since an interview from Masuda says otherwise and as such is a fact, so the subject in question and not Verlisfy is ignoring the facts.
XD ...Verl making a good point for once. Good job, Verl, you get a stale cookie.

And alright, I have just realized that I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about when it comes to post-game content. They cut the Battle Frontier from ORAS, okay- but it had the Battle Resort instead, and Kalos had the Battle Maison and Alola had the Battle Tree. Pretty sure every game has had a battle facility since battle facilities were first introduced, so what was it about the Battle Frontier that was so great
It's fairly simple. The Emerald Battle Frontier has 7 Battle Facilities.

Its replacement in ORAS, the Battle Resort, has only 1 Battle Facility: The Battle Maison.

It's fairly simple. The Emerald Battle Frontier has 7 Battle Facilities. Its replacement in ORAS, the Battle Resort, has only 1 Battle Facility: The Battle Maison.
XD So what they need to do is add seven of them instead of one to not be cutting corners? I guess that isn't asking too much, but it does feel a bit silly.

And alright, I have just realized that I don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about when it comes to post-game content. They cut the Battle Frontier from ORAS, okay- but it had the Battle Resort instead, and Kalos had the Battle Maison and Alola had the Battle Tree. Pretty sure every game has had a battle facility since battle facilities were first introduced, so what was it about the Battle Frontier that was so great and how many of the other games actually had "good" post-game content and why? What are people expecting when it comes to post-game content?

My own two cents on the matter, as I only speak for myself, of course:

I don't have anything against Battle Tower/Maison/Tree. In fact, currently I'm prepping some teams for my USUM Battle Tree run! But, in a nutshell, these facilities lack the creativity and thinking outside of the box thought that went into several of the battle facilities prior.

This post would end up getting pretty lengthy if I went into the whole entire nuts and bolts on why I personally valued the Battle Frontier so much, so I'll sum it up with this: In Emerald, you had a Battle Facility that was based entirely on luck. You also had a battle facility that couldn't even let you command your own Pokemon, and it was based purely on natures and moves. There was a battle facility in which hold items were completely banned. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. HGSS/Platinum's Battle Frontier offered something different, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

The tl;dr of it is that I miss all sorts of wacky restrictions that Game Freak could come up with simply to make the challenge more fun for me. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong per se with how things currently are (and heck, even the Pokemon World Tournament in B2W2 is an excellent way to spin things up, and I loved that), but I can't help but miss how unique those challenges were and that made challenging the Battle Frontier that much more fun for me rather than the typical "beat as many trainers up as you can" challenge. Yeah, the Battle Frontier on a fundamental level was that, but the restrictions were what made it memorable and even if the Battle Frontier doesn't make a return, I hope the elements of it, at the very least, do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom