• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda exactly why I stick to drawing white characters tbh. The idea of "maybe I get the skintone slightly off and get chewed out" really makes me think... naaaaaah, I'd rather not risk it.

I don't even care what race Nessa is, just that she looks cool the way she looks, and that's it for me.
I know other artists who feel the same, and it's unfortunate. =/ Like... people are just expressing their love for a character, leave them alone.

If you're so afraid of receiving criticism on your art that you'd stop drawing black people all together, you probably should just stop drawing.
People aren't afraid of criticism, they're afraid of being attacked. Because criticism is one thing, but having the whole SJW squad come down on you for getting the color wrong is entirely something else.

I know other artists who feel the same, and it's unfortunate. =/ Like... people are just expressing their love for a character, leave them alone.
Admittedly it doesn't hit me personally that bad because the works I'm mostly into just so happen to rarely have darker-skinned characters to begin with. It's still a bit frustrating when you've got that at the back of your mind, though: if I get that wrong, might get doxxed, might get harassed, might get attacked etc.

And telling people who are "afraid of criticism" (and these reactions really are beyond criticism most often...) to just stop doing art completely sounds extremely immature and selfish to me, for some reason. In the likes of "You don't do it how I/others think it's right and don't wanna get chewed out for it, better not do it to begin with"

This is such a weak a mindset, especially when there's multiple guides literally meant to help draw dark skin characters.

People aren't afraid of criticism, they're afraid of being attacked. Because criticism is one thing, but having the whole SJW squad come down on you for getting the color wrong is entirely something else.
People take criticism as being attacked all the time specifically in situations like this. The tried and true "SJW" comment.

I've seen people draw Nessa as an ape along with intentionally drawing her pale and making her look like she's in minstrel show. Excuse me if I'm lacking any empathy.
What kinda fanart you see depends highly on what kinda sites you're browsing, so gg to you, I guess.
All I've seen of Nessa are really nice fanarts that I redirect to a friend of mine who's really fangirling her.

I've seen people draw Nessa as an ape along with intentionally drawing her pale and making her look like she's in minstrel show. Excuse me if I'm lacking any empathy.
I saw the former on Twitter, I reported and blocked the artist, because I don't tolerate that sort of thing EVER!

People take criticism as being attacked all the time specifically in situations like this. The tried and true "SJW" comment.

I wouldn't take offense to the use of SJW as a word in this context, when it is clear they are talking about assholes that do illegal shit to harass and bully people.

Perhaps they are offended by left-liberal social justice politics, but I wouldn't assume so based on that.

Like people have pointed out, she's a swimmer, it's logical, which is why I find the whole thing confusing.
I equally as baffled. Not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but here in the States there's a very common stereotype that black people don't/can't swim. So I was very happy to see Nessa, and I figured more people would feel the same way.

How is this “whitewashing” exactly?
I say "whitewashing" instead of "lightwashing", simply because (and this could be cynical on my part) I didn't think the term colorism would mean much here. She can be perceived black and still have her skin lightened up to a degree that's completely different from her original art

D9JbPZwUcAAWxi4.jpg

Yes, she's still black. But changing her to this degree for aesthetics can be taken as a subtle jab at dark-skin no matter her ethnicity. This isn't to vilify the artist or anyone who likes it, but it's something to keep in mind since representation matters.
I just hope that the same people who are taking offense with Nessa's whitewashing, are equally offended by Hermione's sudden change of race. And by the proposed chamg of race for James Bond.
Hermione and Bond's characters aren't tied to their race narratively (compared to characters like Black Panther), so different casting for live-action movies based on merit is a good thing, no?

And this is not the same thing as re-drawing an animated character, especially when there's literally only one other image of reference.

Criticism doesn't involve getting upset at someone for "whitewashing" on artwork that clearly uses a pastel palette and a filter.

It's not like she's even white? She's still dark, she's just not darker.

The ape thing is obviously inappropriate, so there's no defending that one... unless they wanna draw every gym leader as a monkey, then by all means. Pokemon of the Apes.

Hermione and Bond's characters aren't tied to their race narratively (compared to characters like Black Panther), so different casting for live-action movies based on merit is a good thing, no?
Nessa isn't narratively tied to her race either, so that's not an argument.

Last edited:
I say "whitewashing" instead of "lightwashing", simply because (and this could be cynical on my part) I didn't think the term colorism would mean much here. She can be perceived black and still have her skin lightened up to a degree that's completely different from her original art

D9JbPZwUcAAWxi4.jpg

Yes, she's still black. But changing her to this degree for aesthetics can be taken as a subtle jab at dark-skin no matter her ethnicity. This isn't to vilify the artist or anyone who likes it, but it's something to keep in mind since representation matters.

And this is not the same thing as re-drawing an animated character, especially when there's literally only one other image of reference.
This is still confusing me, why is everything but her skin the exact same?

D9JbPZwUcAAWxi4.jpg

just an honest question, would this picture even be an issue if a white character was beside Nessa under this kind of filter artwork? i'd think not. I think that is something to keep in mind.

Huh.

So I asked what race Nessa was, and people didn't answer.

So I'll ask a different question. Why are people so sure she's black? Granted, perhaps I'm just crazy and no other races have skin as dark as that, but I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

Is there anything about her that makes it obvious she is black?

Mind, I have no problem with her being black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom