• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, if you’re going to call out money grabbers then Mew being locked behind the 50$ Pokeball plus is much worse than Meltan.

I wouldn’t even call Meltan a money grabber scheme either, because at least Go is free (I don’t like it either but free is free).

Hell yeah I agree with this lmao. But they still make a certain profit passed a certain amount of downloads regardless of it being a free app, the micro transactions have it sitting at the top of the leader board still. I agree that Mew is more of a cashgrab than Meltan behind the pokeball, but that just puts more to my point tbh - cashgrab in general.

Hell yeah I agree with this lmao. But they still make a certain profit passed a certain amount of downloads regardless of it being a free app, the micro transactions have it sitting at the top of the leader board still. I agree that Mew is more of a cashgrab than Meltan behind the pokeball, but that just puts more to my point tbh - cashgrab in general.

You can get Meltan for free without using microtransactions, and the free app doesn’t take any money from you, unlike Ranger.
You can just install go, get a Meltan and delete the app, whereas the Mew, and Ranger methods are way more pricey.

Meltan really isn’t a cash grab from the consumer's perspective.

You can get Meltan for free without using microtransactions, and the free app doesn’t take any money from you, unlike Ranger.
You can just install go, get a Meltan and delete the app, whereas the Mew, and Ranger methods are way more pricey.

Meltan really isn’t a cash grab from the consumer's perspective.

It is when you have to upgrade to anything above an iphone 5 lol, because GO! isn't supported by anything before that now, and a TON of people still have older versions of phones and IOS.

Anyway, the point is, you would essentially have to buy Let's Go if you wanted to play or use Meltan properly, GO! as you said, is a mobile app spin off, so technically, impatient people are suffering the most because if you don't want to fork out £60 to play Let's Go and actually use Meltan as a Pokemon as opposed to GO!'s terrible battle system, then you're waiting to fork out £60 for SwSh to get it as an eventual event download - which equates to, an essential cash grab. Much like USUM as an entire experience.

I said it before and I'll say it again...the GTS and wonder trade exist.

There's going to be a surplus of Meltan and people who bought let's go are probably going to bank almost all of them and just distribute them in Sword and Shield. There will be no need for a Meltan event because there's going to be like 40 billion of them. So essentially, minus the phone issue, Meltan are still free as long as you have a Gen VIII game.

It is when you have to upgrade to anything above an iphone 5 lol, because GO! isn't supported by anything before that now, and a TON of people still have older versions of phones and IOS.
The vast majority uses compatible androids though, and I'm saying it as an iOS user.
Anyway, the point is, you would essentially have to buy Let's Go if you wanted to play or use Meltan properly
Seriously?
Did you just say that you do not want to use a Pokémon in the game containing that Pokémon?
That’s like complaining that you need to purchase Sun/Moon to use Magearna so it’s an utter cashgrab.

What would you even claim the event Pokémon on if you don’t want to play any compatible game with it?
By that logic GameFreak could literally include Meltan as a regular encounter and you’d still class it as a cash grab.

New Pokemon are incentives for people to buy games. By that logic literally any game containing a new event exclusive is a cash grab.

The vast majority uses compatible androids though, and I'm saying it as an iOS user.

Seriously?
Did you just say that you do not want to use a Pokémon in the game containing that Pokémon?
That’s like complaining that you need to purchase Sun/Moon to use Magearna so it’s an utter cashgrab.

What would you even claim the event Pokémon on if you don’t want to play any compatible game with it?
By that logic GameFreak could literally include Meltan as a regular encounter and you’d still class it as a cash grab.

New Pokemon are incentives for people to buy games. By that logic literally any game containing a new event exclusive is a cash grab.

No that wasn't what I was implying, that's entirely different because Magearna was available in the game it debuted in, with ease of access to it through an event, downloading GO! and doing the things necessary to get Meltan, to then only be available to use in a "spin off main series" game with heavily limited movepools for every Pokemon that we've come to know, is restrictive. Technically, we don't even know Meltan/Melmetal's full moveset potential BECAUSE of Let's Go, so therefore I still see it as just a quick cash grab for older/veteran players to buy Let's Go, outside of Mew because most of us already have it through various other events on our actual main series games.

I can't believe people are so obsessed over mythical Pokémon. I barely ever bother with Mythicals these days.

It's cool when Mythicals at least have some in-game tie in, like Celebi's Shrine in Ilex Forest, but newer Mythicals are just lore-lacking DLC.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am no Pokédex completion fan, so I guess I just don't see the appeal of Mythicals for the sake of Mythicals.

Last edited:
With the new starters, somehow I’m seeing the familiar traits to Gardenia with Grookey and Maylene with Scorbunny. Yet I can’t think of what suits Sobble apart from Misty.

With the new starters, somehow I’m seeing the familiar traits to Gardenia with Grookey and Maylene with Scorbunny. Yet I can’t think of what suits Sobble apart from Misty.
i'd say siebold for the color scheme (blue/yellow/white) and exotic chief theme i guess. or lana for being young and naive and some color scheme as well.

i'd say siebold for the color scheme (blue/yellow/white) and exotic chief theme i guess. or lana for being young and naive and some color scheme as well.
Was siebold a coward like antrone is in sonic SATAM?

Last edited:
to then only be available to use in a "spin off main series" game with heavily limited movepools for every Pokemon that we've come to know, is restrictive. Technically, we don't even know Meltan/Melmetal's full moveset potential BECAUSE of Let's Go, so therefore I still see it as just a quick cash grab for older/veteran players to buy Let's Go, outside of Mew because most of us already have it through various other events on our actual main series games.

This part just sounds like you have a problem with Let’s Go games rather than the way to obtain Meltan itself, which is a different issue entirely.

Well, if she is a traveling companion it would be status quo breaking in a sense. Bring Serena back for the win just to make the meme complete, as she betrays Ash & falls in love with the superior Scottish battling babe.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't read every page of the thread: Year 2022(?) Scottish Lass defeats Ash in Galar League with Armored Bunny

View attachment 116831
bruh looks like sick shit.

I can dig it and one of the more believable rumor images (at least from an art direction perspective).

Would be cool if Scorbunny's evo line was similar to that of a young and hyper active immature child that grows up into a stoic knight. The second evo would be based on a squire which is a knight in training. That would be unexpected for Pokemon's usually easily to predict evolution theming because a lot of us expect Scorbunny to evolve into a soccer player/athlete.

Each purchase of any kind of phone puts exactly $0 into the hands of Pokémon, Niantic, etc. They don’t care about what phone you have, they care about the app. That’s like saying Yveltal was cash grab in gen 6 because you had to buy a 3DS to get one.

Anyway, the point is, you would essentially have to buy Let's Go if you wanted to play or use Meltan properly, GO! as you said, is a mobile app spin off, so technically, impatient people are suffering the most because if you don't want to fork out £60 to play Let's Go and actually use Meltan as a Pokemon as opposed to GO!'s terrible battle system, then you're waiting to fork out £60 for SwSh to get it as an eventual event download - which equates to, an essential cash grab. Much like USUM as an entire experience.
...yes. You do, in fact, need to purchase a game in order to catch the Pokémon that are in that game. That’s how this works ._.

Each purchase of any kind of phone puts exactly $0 into the hands of Pokémon, Niantic, etc. They don’t care about what phone you have, they care about the app. That’s like saying Yveltal was cash grab in gen 6 because you had to buy a 3DS to get one.

Every download of Pokemon Go! as a free to play app garners at least 1% of players at least making 1 micro transaction during their entire time using the app, and there was also a new report from SensorTower that claims that Pokemon Go players spend more than $2 million per day on the game, for a total of $1.8 billion in revenue since the game's launch. Yes, of course their not making money from it lmao.

Every download of Pokemon Go! as a free to play app garners at least 1% of players at least making 1 micro transaction during their entire time using the app, and there was also a new report from SensorTower that claims that Pokemon Go players spend more than $2 million per day on the game, for a total of $1.8 billion in revenue since the game's launch. Yes, of course their not making money from it lmao.
And why is that bad? Pokemon Go is a free game. Using Meltan to promote interest is decent and natural. As for your Lets Go complaint, that is kinda rubbish too imo. Newer games always have had new pokemon as an incentive. If you don't want to, you can wait. It's not like Meltan would stay exclusive to Let's Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom