• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sobble’s looks more like a middle evolution than a final one.
I feel like it looks like it could be a final evolution... but like, a final evolution from gen 1-3. I could buy it as a final evolution now, but I think they've been trending towards more complex designs for a while so its a little less likely.

It is my favorite of these designs- I think the detail of the hands is really nice, and incorporates one of the chameleon traits that I most hope ends up getting used in the real evolution's design (I think those weird hands have the potential to be really cool).

I like the mask and general look of the Scorbunny evo, and I'm glad that it was pointed out that those egg things are grenades (I was really confused, I thought they were like, color swatches?? But easter egg grenades is a really cool idea). I think the color palette is a little boring, and almost the same colors that Scorbunny has starting out- which can absolutely happen, but sort of results in the evolution feeling washed out to me, there isn't enough contrast for it to feel like a really solid design.

I can't speak to whether or not the Grookey evolution is like, that good, because I just really don't like most ape/gorilla designs in general. I feel like that evo and some of the drawings for the Scorbunny evo are what makes these not convincing to me- the drawings seem a little poorly constructed, specifically some of Scorbunny 3's faces and that back shot of Grookey 3 where its body seems kind of... misshapen? Plus, I think a lot of people are sort of with me about apes and gorillas not being the most appealing animals, so while I think one could definitely happen as a starter evolution, I feel like Gamefreak would be pulling out as many stops as possible to make it look cool, and maybe wouldn't go with 'big silly cartoon gorilla with a puffball on its head'.

Unova is and I think Kanto is an actual region in Japan.

That’s just two out of 8 regions though. 1/4 is too low a ratio to be a convention.

Someone had pointed it out earlier but I'll leave this here:
galar m (genitive singular galair, nominative plural galair)

1. (pathology) sickness, illness, disease, infection

2. affliction, misery
With the code name of the games being 'hero', I'm expecting a large scale story, Sinnoh-esque and lore heavy involving Legendaries. It is also supported by the games' theme being 'The strongest Pokemon' and 'Forge your way to greatness'.

Maybe the 'hero' or the player character ends up somehow saving the region from misery or a proverbial 'disease' (issue) which is shaking up Galar.

Maybe the name is a double meaning: an affliction as well as 'Gallant+Valour'.

Last edited:
That’s just two out of 8 regions though. 1/4 is too low a ratio to be a convention.

Someone had pointed it out earlier but I'll leave this here:

With the code name of the games being 'hero', I'm expecting a large scale story, Sinnoh-esque and lore heavy involving Legendaries. It is also supported by the games' theme being 'The strongest Pokemon' and 'Forge your way to greatness'.

Maybe the 'hero' or the player character ends up somehow saving the region from misery or a proverbial 'disease' (issue) which is shaking up Galar.

Maybe the name is a double meaning: an affliction as well as 'Gallant+Valour'.
Wait what, I was just pointing out that it had been based on country/region name in the past. I wasn’t suggesting that Galar was too.

GameXplain is better than RuffledRowlit, although they are fair game for jokes about their "analysis", which always amounts to speculation. Regardless, I like their videos.

That's because Gamexplain are a great channel with informative videos and speculations and don't have a video every 2 hours screaming clickbait labelled something like "ALL GALAR POKEMON REVEALED" lmao. Most of the Poketubers in Rowlit's category just go by algorithms, it's not like they have any real new information with substance besides the same leaks/rumours we see on here every day.

Some people over on Serebii reported very bad Japanese, especially this:ロングボディ、ダークパレット、スパイ.
Ahhh okay, that makes sense. I was kinda liking the Scorbunny Evo design lol but honestly I don't think we should expect anything "real" until maybe Sept-October at best.

I thought they concluded that the big lake area may be "open world". Is one area being "open world" good enough?

I'm hoping it will be something like Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time if anything, that would be my hope for anything close to an 'open world' feel in a Pokemon game, or at least a certain area having that feel for more openness to happen in a future game.

I liked them. I prefer the simpler Gen 1-3 designs and never was a fan of overdesigned stuff. I thought the Electric type was shown well for Scorbunny3 and would like Game Freak to return to that style.

There's nothing wrong with simple designs, but I feel like there's a fine line between simple and plain out bland and uninteresting, which is my biggest issue with this Grookey evo.

Simple would be like... if it looked more like Slaking, and the stick it was carrying becomes more weapon-like (not sure what kind of weapon, though). At least that way it'd look simple but still be somewhat original. Not just a generic looking ape.

Yes, it seems really unlikely that actual Pokemon designs will leak this time.

However the Sun & Moon final evolutions leaked, I am sure they were able to figure it out and are more strict about providing the artwork early!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom