• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure if that’s going to stop GameFreak since we already had a grass monkey before Grookey, a fire fox with mystical powers before Delphox and a water frog before froakie.
I know, I would just prefer if Sobble doesn't become a chameleon. I wouldn't mind an other chameleon Pokémon in the future, even if I am not a fan of them.

But I fully expect Game Freak to disappoint me :p

Last edited:
This sort of stuff matters to me ever since Kalos and Alola. =P Alola really stepped up the game when it comes to cultural influences and I'm hoping Galar does the same!

To me, the humor that comes out of England is some of the best on the planet. I'll be sad if the game doesn't have some sort of ode to that in the game somewhere.

As an LGBT person I don't like being used as a token for PR points.

I wouldn't mind if they threw in something like 2 same-sex NPCs watching scenery together and saying nice things to eachother, or something like a female NPC mentioning having a girlfriend, but I don't want to see any direct mention of LGBT words in the game and I don't want to see dev twitter posts saying "by the way this character is gay and that character is nonbinary, (look at how inclusive we are, buy our game if you agree!)"

No thanks LOL
I still remember the outcry from the design of Lenora in Gen 5 where they had to alter her design for the west in the anime to remove the apron lol Although the memes with Pokemon Black having Whimsicot and Pokemon White having Lilligant were just as criticised.
The outcry over that was perfectly valid imo.

As long as the LGBT stuff in Pokemon games is very subtle, I am fine with it. There was actually one such case in X and Y, one of the possible trainers that you can face in the Battle Chateau is a Beauty who used to be a Blackbelt, in the Japanese version, she used to be a man. Just as long as it doesn't take over, I am completely fine with it. And about the rival, the best middle ground for a shipping story is to let players choose the rival's gender, as I have said before.

LGBT rep in Pokemon would be awesome =) I don’t foresee it happening anytime soon (certainly not in SwaSh) but it would be a great way to relate to a character in a universe that I already love. And no it doesn’t have to be political. LGBT relationships/identities are not political statements they’re just normal life. Pokémon should always strive to create relatable characters.

I don't think that identity politics will ever be in Pokemon unless an American developer picks up the franchise, but I highly doubt that would happen unless GF goes bankrupt.

I don't think that identity politics will ever be in Pokemon unless an American developer picks up the franchise, but I highly doubt that would happen unless GF goes bankrupt.
Because LGBT people exist in America only? swiftgallade46 put it perfectly, it's part of normal life. If you see diversity as forced, maybe you should spend some time in the actual real world? :rolleyes:

Was the red wolf debunked in the meantime btw?

Because LGBT people exist in America only? swiftgallade46 put it perfectly, it's part of normal life. If you see diversity as forced, maybe you should spend some time in the actual real world? :rolleyes:

Actually, they exist in the west

Americans are the only people obsessed with identity politics. The concept of identity politics hardly exists elsewhere, especially in Japan, where minorities are almost nonexistent.

As an LGBT person I don't like being used as a token for PR points.

I wouldn't mind if they threw in something like 2 same-sex NPCs watching scenery together and saying nice things to eachother, or something like a female NPC mentioning having a girlfriend, but I don't want to see any direct mention of LGBT words in the game and I don't want to see dev twitter posts saying "by the way this character is gay and that character is nonbinary, (look at how inclusive we are, buy our game if you agree!)"

As someone who clicks on every npc there is no matter how many times i have played the game, i can guarantee you there are some though very very few. so its not like they are absent. i too wouldn't mind seeing things like that a little more often simply for a little real world reflection. kinda like how these regions are a reflection of real world countries. I mean i think they show in the anime more often than in the games.
It would also be nice to see more racial diversity and it seems they are stepping it up there. i also hope to see more diversity in npc cloths/fashion. i just want people to look like people from all over.

Americans are the only people obsessed with identity politics. The concept of identity politics hardly exists elsewhere, especially in Japan, where minorities are almost nonexistent.

I agree with you, but the UK recently has had this attachment to the same thing and they need to get away quick, as an LGBT person living in the UK, identity politics does nothing but complicate things moving forward in regards to coming to agreements in anything.. The only case where I would say identity politics is acceptable right now IS America... there's no other place I've heard of where an innocent black man can be gunned down cold turkey by a white police officer only to "suspended on paid leave", so I completely get that approach, what with their historically racist police force lmao.

Yikes, this is totally false, friend. LGBTQ individuals exist globally Japan included. And Pokemon is a globally marketed franchise that increasingly is exploring cultures outside of Japan where different values are emphasized and different minorities are more prevalent. Finally again, identities are not “politics”. It’s a shame that people consistently politicize them, but the fact is that an LGBTQ identity is just someone living their life and nothing more.

Anyways haha this is definitely a can-of-worms and I don’t want to get too far off topic. But I’ve said my piece. At most we could get some kind of subtle nod in SwaSh which would be fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom