• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who loves Gen IV, I'm still conflicted on whether or not their remakes would happen. Mostly because we're going to go down this endless rabbit hole of every region wanting to get repped in a remake. Like... after Sinnoh, then Unova fans would want a remake of their own on the Switch, and then Kalos fans would want equal treatment... it's gonna be a mess. x.x

I see your point and I don't think past formulas will help guess when we will actually get the DP remake, but I haven't seen the hype train ride as hard for Sinnoh as the demand was for Hoenn remakes as of yet, people are boarding the train for it because we assume it's next in line, but ngl I feel LGJ will knock first at this point lol. Although, Sinnoh would be a great region to have remake in the same gen as Galar...

How could they do Unova remakes when there's Black 2 and White 2, which are story sequels?
They could add some BW2 nods in the post game. Let’s not forget that the 2 versions were just a different take on the 3rd version concept.

"If Sinnoh can get repped on the Switch, why can't my favourite region (Johto /Hoenn/Unova/Kalos) get repped on the Switch, too?"
The Switch’s life span will end by the time there’s time for something like Kalos remakes.

but I haven't seen the hype train ride as hard for Sinnoh as the demand was for Hoenn remakes as of yet, people are boarding the train for it because we assume it's next in line, but ngl I feel LGJ will knock first at this point lol. Although, Sinnoh would be a great region to have remake in the same gen as Galar...

Everything was a Sinnoh hint sometime back though.

And Let’s Go Johto is no doubt after Sinnoh since remakes (Let’s Go or otherwise) actually have one consistent factor: they’re in order of the release of the previous games.

RBY remake (FRLG) >
GS Remake (HGSS) >
RS Remake (ORAS) >
Kanto Remake/FRLG (LGPE) >
Now Sinnoh and then Johto

How could they do Unova remakes when there's Black 2 and White 2, which are story sequels?

well right now i imagine they'd just adapt the bw2 elements into a singular post-game episode with references, but that's so far in the future that we don't know what they'll be experimenting with when it comes to that point

"If Sinnoh can get repped on the Switch, why can't my favourite region (Johto /Hoenn/Unova/Kalos) get repped on the Switch, too?"

right, but... who actually says this as opposed to a more generic wish like "i can't wait for [my favorite] to be remade!"

sure, there were fringes of the fandom that were hoping for Hoenn remakes on the DS and fringes that were hoping for Sinnoh remakes on the 3ds, but i don't think those were the majority of people. those consoles were wrapping up by that time and it was fairly obvious that Game Freak were planning to move up to the 3ds and then the Switch, respectively, and it will probably be the same with Unova and Kalos remakes. there's not much of a call for those at the moment because we're not even sure when to expect the Sinnoh remakes. once those are done, then you'll start hearing "Unova confirmed!" all the time, but yet again we'll probably be closer to the end of the Switch than the beginning when that happens

And Let’s Go Johto is no doubt after Sinnoh since remakes (Let’s Go or otherwise) actually have one consistent factor: they’re in order of the release of the previous games.

RBY remake (FRLG) >
GS Remake (HGSS) >
RS Remake (ORAS) >

Yeah I definitely do hope Sinnoh remakes come before LGJ (if it ever is a thing), and I guess them not including newer gen evos wouldn't be an issue if Sinnoh did come first and LGJ after as of what happened with LGPE, but I'm holding out hope for newer gen evos in a potential new LG game... despite what happened before.

RBY remake (FRLG) >
GS Remake (HGSS) >
RS Remake (ORAS) >

true though this may be in a superficial sense, i don't think it was deliberate. LGPE just happened to be the right choice for the time, and it's specifically a Yellow remake which hedges against the idea that they're hard-replicating the "release order." like, i doubt that anyone at Game freak sat down after ORAS and said, "right, so next thing we're definitely doing is remaking Kanto, because the games after RS were Kanto games." LGPE were made in direct response to Go's sudden popularity and to give nintendo something pokémon-related that they could use to encourage switch sales. it's cute that it does reflect the release order, but nobody really makes enormous business decisions based on a religious fidelity to inconsequential patterns and lists. it's like how Masuda said they didn't even necessarily intend for LGPE to coincide with Yellow's 20th anniversary, but it's nice that it worked out that way

true though this may be in a superficial sense, i don't think it was deliberate. LGPE just happened to be the right choice for the time, and it's specifically a Yellow remake which hedges against the idea that they're hard-replicating the "release order." like, i doubt that anyone at Game freak sat down after ORAS and said, "right, so next thing we're definitely doing is remaking Kanto, because the games after RS were Kanto games." LGPE were made in direct response to Go's sudden popularity and to give nintendo something pokémon-related that they could use to encourage switch sales. it's cute that it does reflect the release order, but nobody really makes enormous business decisions based on a religious fidelity to inconsequential patterns and lists. it's like how Masuda said they didn't even necessarily intend for LGPE to coincide with Yellow's 20th anniversary, but it's nice that it worked out that way

Even if we go by business sense a Sinnoh Remake would feel more fresh than another Let’s Go Game in such a quick succession though.

right, but... who actually says this as opposed to a more generic wish like "i can't wait for [my favorite] to be remade!"

sure, there were fringes of the fandom that were hoping for Hoenn remakes on the DS and fringes that were hoping for Sinnoh remakes on the 3ds, but i don't think those were the majority of people. those consoles were wrapping up by that time and it was fairly obvious that Game Freak were planning to move up to the 3ds and then the Switch, respectively, and it will probably be the same with Unova and Kalos remakes. there's not much of a call for those at the moment because we're not even sure when to expect the Sinnoh remakes. once those are done, then you'll start hearing "Unova confirmed!" all the time, but yet again we'll probably be closer to the end of the Switch than the beginning when that happens

You're missing the gist of my post. =P I'm saying that, hypothetically if Sinnoh remakes were to be a thing, then there's likely going to be more of "remake my favourite region on the Switch!"

Hence, referring back to what I said being a rabbit hole of sorts.

Even if we go by business sense a Sinnoh Remake would feel more fresh than another Let’s Go Game in such a quick succession though.
"feel more fresh" is a pretty subjective thing to throw out there without market research to see what people would gravitate towards. and of course, Let's Go games can likely be thrown together for (even) cheaper compared to a full-blown remake.

They’re likely going to continue “remaking” past gen games until Pokemon is over (god forbid). It’s a good source of revenue while they develop the next generation, and it appeals to the fans who were around when the games originally came out as a means of either drawing them back into the series or giving them a game they would probably like if they never left.

As for Let’s Go becoming a series rather than a one-off, I have no idea. It seems like it could just be a gimmick to promote Go, but I suppose even remakes get old eventually and people inevitably want to revisit regions that were remade a long time ago.

i mean, i think that's ultimately subjective - like, to me, a sinnoh remake feels like hardcore traditionalism. why else would everyone be expecting it? it conforms to their observed historical "patterns" and would presumably be more of a traditional core game in terms of mechanics, or at least, the version of it that the people on this forum want would be

let's go actually does new experimental things with the series and tries to rewire the whole dynamic of the game, and is designed more with a mind toward docked play and go connectivity which are new territories for pokémon gameplay

You're missing the gist of my post. =P I'm saying that, hypothetically if Sinnoh remakes were to be a thing, then there's likely going to be more of "remake my favourite region on the Switch!"

Hence, referring back to what I said being a rabbit hole of sorts.

I guess. i just don't think it would be a very significant or meaningful outcry

Honestly Sinnoh was one of the most beautiful regions imo, and it came at a perfect time and was such a great lead for the 4th gen of Pokemon, and don't get me started on how every starter is just adorably perfectly proportionate and we probably won't get a trio like it again anytime soon. It's another reason why I hope in future at some point that we get new Megas for the 4th gen starters (and Gen 2), just so the gimmick isn't only on a certain set of starters out of the rest, I at least want to see the first 4 gens of starters have some form of upgrade within this generation.

They’re likely going to continue “remaking” past gen games until Pokemon is over (god forbid). It’s a good source of revenue while they develop the next generation, and it appeals to the fans who were around when the games originally came out as a means of either drawing them back into the series or giving them a game they would probably like if they never left.

My bigger concern is... where is the line when it comes to remaking old fan favourites over and over? By the time Kalos has been remade (let's assume this is a thing for example's sake), what does Game Freak even do? Go to Alola, and then start over from Kanto? Maybe I'm just trying to think too far ahead, but this is why I'd personally rather the resources being put into something new and original, you know?

Nothing Sword and Shield related, but decided to add this in because of graphics, gameplay-wise

You remember back when the Game Freak crew went to Spain and Southern France to look at the Cave Paintings, and also a Cathedral in Northern France? Well, I'm still standing on the possibility that they're researching of these locations are for the possible Gen 4 Remakes because in Celestic Town there is Cave Paintings, and Hearthome City's Cathedral. As something similar to Sword and Shield, they will have to find proper inspiration in order to get the architecture and scenery correct.

I can actually well imagine Sinnoh with Sword and Shield's style of graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom