• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, only stats. Just like what happened with Draco Meteor. My guess is that they will do the animations once the name has been chosen.
oh i see. so is it really limited to 8 characters? draco meteor has more characters :( how to enter?

I think a fun idea once the final evolutions are released would be to make an image of all the speculated evolutions of Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble next to the real ones and see which ones we like the most. Who was the most creative and put the most thought into the designs.

oh i see. so is it really limited to 8 characters? draco meteor has more characters :( how to enter?
The japanese name has 7 characters in it. It's the english translation that makes the name longer.

I think a fun idea once the final evolutions are released would be to make an image of all the speculated evolutions of Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble next to the real ones and see which ones we like the most. Who was the most creative and put the most thought into the designs.
With this fanbase, that'd be a bad call, cause it's obvious they'll just go to the fan designs. Well depends on how they end up looking, but there's bound to be backlash no matter what so.

Draco Meteor's Japanese name is りゆうせいぐん. Only 7 characters. Ryuuseigun. Roughly translates to meteor swarm.

Non-native Japanese people can't enter unless they can get their hands on a copy of this month's CoroCoro.

With this fanbase, that'd be a bad call, cause it's obvious they'll just go to the fan designs. Well depends on how they end up looking, but there's bound to be backlash no matter what so.
You right. With Gen 6 and 7, I wasn't the biggest fan of Chesnaught, Incineroar and Greninja (still not), but they're official Pokemon so I have grown to respect them. I still wish Gen 6 took different directions but oh well.

Last edited:
That's literally any pokemon, that has their own personality, that's just how they're designed. I think what you have a problem with is the broader imagination to see pass what's in front of you. (Hope that didn't sound like an insult)
I guess? XD I think maybe yeah? Like I can reimagine them easily if I take them and redraw them, no problem. But in-game their looks would go starkly against whatever character I'd try to give them so I find that aspect to lack appeal and that sounds like what you're saying.

Fun way to see how close we all got to the real designs, too. I wonder if anyone so far has actually gotten remotely close?

Fun way to see how close we all got to the real designs, too. I wonder if anyone so far has actually gotten remotely close?
I've seen some fan designs that I really like and think that Gamefreak would go with something similar and then I've seen some that are just so off the wall impossible.

Their names denote a theme to their individual characters but the overall design will be very hard to get right.

Grookey will have something to do with cheerleading or a beat, staying on tempo, maybe marching band. Sobble will have something to do with dramatics, its name is literally sobbing bubble. We've seen it being shy. Scorbunny could turn out to be like a gymnast or a track star, super quick, etc.

I guess? XD I think maybe yeah? Like I can reimagine them easily if I take them and redraw them, no problem. But in-game their looks would go starkly against whatever character I'd try to give them so I find that aspect to lack appeal and that sounds like what you're saying.
And that's why the anime or manga handles pokemon better in terms of personality. Honestly you can even just have an idea by looking at their traits in their summary to help out.

I've seen some fan designs that I really like and think that Gamefreak would go with something similar and then I've seen some that are just so off the wall impossible.

Their names denote a theme to their individual characters but the overall design will be very hard to get right.

Grookey will have something to do with cheerleading or a beat, staying on tempo, maybe marching band. Sobble will have something to do with dramatics, its name is literally sobbing bubble. We've seen it being shy. Scorbunny could turn out to be like a gymnast or a track star, super quick, etc.
A fun idea for Sobble was that it could evolve into a horned lizard mixed with a chameleon that shoots water from it's eyes

You know, this is kinda weird, but after @KiranTheWitch's suggestion, what if Grookey evolves into one of those Japanese cheerleaders, like the ones from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!?
What's the difference between those cheerleaders and like... American cheerleaders? Just curious because I went to look those up and I'm not sure what the difference is. XD

The provided images on Wikipedia and the description conflict. The images show standard cheerleaders in standard outfits doing standard cheerleader things. The description says they do things cheerleaders typically don't do, supposedly.

The provided images on Wikipedia and the description conflict. The images show standard cheerleaders in standard outfits doing standard cheerleader things. The description says they do things cheerleaders typically don't do.
I guess this is a problem with Wikipedia images, since the description is correct.

I remember back at gen 5 when the final evo leaks they thought it was fake because samurott was just too far off from dewott(a design that leaked from an anime spread sheet) and oshawott also Emboar was said to be fire/fighting and everyone assumed it was fake because they were sure that there is no way gamefreak will make a fire/fighting 3 gen in a row

Then in gen 6 people assume both greninja and hawlucha as fake because someone claims that they make the design and it was fake and the leak appears a week before the game released, also during that time a fake poison type pokemon with great design also appears so people just assume that both greninja and hawlucha was real fakes

Gen 7 surely most of us remember how many dismissed the starter leak due to both incineroar and primarina's design one looks like a fire/fighting, also most people really wants a fire starter that stands on 4 legs, and the other was too feminine.

Wonder how will gen 8 starter final evo would leak

I remember back at gen 5 when the final evo leaks they thought it was fake because samurott was just too far off from dewott(a design that leaked from an anime spread sheet) and oshawott also Emboar was said to be fire/fighting and everyone assumed it was fake because they were sure that there is no way gamefreak will make a fire/fighting 3 gen in a row
There was also that one person that said he made the starters. He said Samurott's pose was based on Dialga and Emboar's on Rhyperior. Same thing happened with Gen VII's starters.
Gen 7 surely most of us remember how many dismissed the starter leak due to both incineroar and primarina's design one looks like a fire/fighting, also most people really wants a fire starter that stands on 4 legs, and the other was too feminine.

Wonder how will gen 8 starter final evo would leak
To tell the truth, those people were fooling themselves because Mallow's appearance on Incineroar's sheet confirmed them as real.

If people already talking about starters, litten becoming tony the tiger started as a joke that turned out to be real.

don't think i've ever seen someone guess the direction of the starters completely blind. it's really in that same bucket of things that fans never really predict right (along with things like regional themes and storyline).

off the wall a bit, but how would you guys feel if we ended up getting starters with the second typing being the same for all of them? (this time around or in the future?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom