• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you know people are playing rumble for the first time, specially since with Go, we're effectively in Pokemania 2.0.
Fair enough, it’s always safe to experiment in the mobile sector since that’s the most prominent right now. I’m still sticking to my opinion that they have far better options to use for spinoff titles, though. To each their own!

If there’s any silver lining, though, I hope this at least leaves the door open for some of my favorite spinoffs to make a return in gen 8 on the Switch.

Not even close. The most we have is that pokemon is on the verge of being recognized as a game series that it's okay to enjoy. I credit this more to the general attitudes regarding fandoms changing over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another poison dart frog- I love Croagunk, but one that actually has spots and neon colors would be fantastic.
I just think another poison dart frog that attacks with its hands specifically is a little too similar- Croagunk's iconic move is jabbing, and its re-emphasized when it evolves into Toxicroak and the orange finger is accentuated even more and made into a spur type thing.

I mean, its definitely possible that they could give us another poison dart frog that's themed around clapping instead of jabbing, it just feels a little too close to me.
Greninja line uses the bubbles some frogs create as a basis for projectile based attacks, the Polis use the spiral intestinal tract of tadpoles for a hypnosis theme, and the Palpitoad line is themed around vibration and audio, based on the noises that frogs make- there's more ideas out there for unique attack styles and attributes if they wanted to make another dart frog.
I agree. That's actually what I am hoping for, if they do a poison dart frog that they would focus on the bright colors in its design and is poisonous skin that effect you by touching the frog on ability. perhaps it can be a special attacker with water and poison moves.
actually read that there is a tiny snake that is immune to the poison of the dart frogs so they eat them. maybe there will be a snake pokemon near by too that is immune to poison attacks.

They happen to be quite different in execution though: Feebas is mainly Ugly>Beauty whereas Magikarp is Weak>Strong.
yeah but the same could be done with the toxicroak and a pretty bright colored poison dart frog. they are sometimes kept as pets for their beauty anyway.

They happen to be quite different in execution though: Feebas is mainly Ugly>Beauty whereas Magikarp is Weak>Strong.
it's still the same general small, weak fish becomes strong dragon-like serpentine fish. and if you wanna get into the technicalities of it all, who knows exactly what a supposed reused concept would be. maybe this supposed frog becomes Poison/Ground and its claps as a Stage 1 turn into creating earthquakes or whatever.

and Zeraora... the latter I am sorta okay with, if it wasn't an event Pokemon I actually missed. Rip, me.
I have a ton of unscratched Zeraora cards if you want one of the codes. The dude at Gamestop seriously gave me like 20.

Why is it silly? It’s just my opinion and preference. Doesn’t have to be PMD either, they have a slew of spinoffs to choose from.

I’m not blaming any company other than TPCi for making the choice to commission another Rumble game over something else. I’m bored with the Rumble concept. 4 years didn’t change that.
Are spin-offs even commissioned? I was under the impression that companies came up with the idea for a game and approach TPCi for permission to use the characters, not that TPCi came up with the idea and handed it out to some random developer to make it. Which would mean that it's the developer's choice to make a new game, not TPCi's.

Are spin-offs even commissioned? I was under the impression that companies came up with the idea for a game and approach TPCi for permission to use the characters, not that TPCi came up with the idea and handed it out to some random developer to make it. Which would mean that it's the developer's choice to make a new game, not TPCi's.
I’m almost positive that it has to at least be both. Always waiting for other developing companies to approach you would likely not be a very good business practice.
And even so I’m iffy in believing this is the only possible side game in their queue. They probably just picked it to expend their mobile presence which is fine but doesn’t really appeal to me at all as a long time fan with Nintendo consoles.

Found a rumor on 4chan:

"The next Pokémon Direct for Sword and Shield will air on Wednesday, May 22. There will be an announcement for it the day before. Trailer will show:
-New legendaries, both wolves and both pure steel. Signature moves are shown as well as their abilities. Nothing too special. Wasn’t crazy about the design.
-Bird Pokémon shown. It’s a blue jay (Normal/Flying at least for the first form)
-Bug Pokemon shown. A small round beetle. Pure bug for the first form at least
-poison dart frog Pokémon with huge hands. Gets a move called Venom Clap, which does damage and sets up Toxic Spikes. Poison/Water
-Shows the professor. It’s a woman named Professor Cypress. Her lab is the house by the lake, overgrown by plants (she studies the effects of human innovation on nature and Pokémon)
-First gym leader is an old blacksmith who remembers the region when it only started to begin innovation. He’s in the steampunk city.
-trailer talks about the importance of trains in the region
-Don’t really get to see many new areas in the trailer, except new parts of the steampunk city. Including inside a train station.

I should note—I don’t have inside information on the game itself. Just this specific direct."

I like some of the ideas in this actually. Whether it's real or not is still kind of hard to tell, but the fact that they would use another Pokemon Direct to air the second trailer is really putting up some red flags for me. But besides that none of this seems too out of the dark.

As others have stated, while Croagunk is already a thing (poison dart frog Pokemon who uses its hands), I think I can still see them wanting to do another. I would love to see a really colorful one this time around,

I also really love the idea of a blue jay Pokemon. Even if t kept that normal and flying type throughout its evolution design I still really want one. Blue jays are one of my favorite birds because Jay (based on the blue jay) is the name of one of the first in-depth characters I ever made. If it ends up being real and I love the whole evolution line then I think I can say I have found my second member of my team.

The innovation thing is also a little bit of a red flag for me, but not big enough for me to call the whole rumor fake. It's used a lot because one of those old rumors that gained a lot of traction and infamy because they just kept being brought up (Piuk or Plus/Minus, I can't remember which one it was). This does make me definitely consider the legitimacy more, but honestly looking at Galar, it's a somewhat sensical theme to come up with. The differences between the areas of the game somewhat represent it, with some areas being much more rural, and others being more urban. Innovation is often correlated with the big boom of industrialization, and the continuing boom of technology. You can see this in Galar when you compare some of the towns. So yes, it makes a little bit of sense for it to be used.

The gym leader thing is also striking me a bit. The first trailer heavily showed off the grass stadium that's in that somewhat farm like city just slightly North of the steampunk one. Based on how it also matches with many of the other gyms in the region with the stadium theme n the outside, I still think that is going to be our first gym. This makes me question it a bit. Also, the rumor talks nothing about whether or not this gym is in a stadium.

Overall, leaning more towards fake for this one, sadly, but I think there are still possibilities for it being real. I wish it was. I love most of the ideas in it, especially the blue jay Pokemon, and of course, it would mean we had information coming soon.

___

On the debate of cat and dog Pokemon, I love of 'em. Sure, there are a lot, but they always find ways to differentiate them at least a little bit, with typing or breeds they are based on. Yes, some of them are pretty similar regardless of that, but they are also pretty great for keeping up with appealing to the crowd of younger fans, and fans that prefer the cuter Pokemon. Oh, and merchandise, can't forget that. I mean, I might be a bit biased because I love cat Pokemon (dog ones not so much, but might as well continue with both)

I’m almost positive that it has to at least be both. Always waiting for other developing companies to approach you would likely not be a very good business practice.
And even so I’m iffy in believing this is the only possible side game in their queue. They probably just picked it to expend their mobile presence which is fine but doesn’t really appeal to me at all as a long time fan with Nintendo consoles.
It's Pokémon, though. With that kind of popularity, they hardly have to wait for developers. And the main series sells so well, it's not like they need spin offs to survive. They're just a bonus that benefits them and the outside developer.

It's Pokémon, though. With that kind of popularity, they hardly have to wait for developers. And the main series sells so well, it's not like they need spin offs to survive. They're just a bonus that benefits them and the outside developer.
They don’t need them to survive, no, but that’s not really the goal of any business. The goal is to maximize revenue. No company (other than possibly Nintendo) would know better than Pokémon themselves when the ideal time is to release a spin off game and what that game should be and on what platform. Pokémon is big, but always relying on other people to come to you is not a good business practice and is unreliable.

They don’t need them to survive, no, but that’s not really the goal of any business. The goal is to maximize revenue. No company (other than possibly Nintendo) would know better than Pokémon themselves when the ideal time is to release a spin off game and what that game should be and on what platform. Pokémon is big, but always relying on other people to come to you is not a good business practice and is unreliable.
But they don't need spin off games, so why would it be part of their business practice to go "Oh we need a spin off, let's ask this random other developer to do it."? That would mean that TPCi felt the need to design a spin off concept and then handed it off to someone else for a little extra revenue that they then have to share with the third party company.

A lot of the decision to make a game has got to be with the third party developer or else they would surely be commissioning a sequel for every spin off each generation instead of just whenever the developer gets around to making one.

What spin-off games do you have in mind? It isn't realistic to expect anything that is over a generation old, so that leaves PMD and Art Academy in terms of retail games. And I'm guessing that you (like most people) don't care about Art Academy, so is this all about PMD? You do realize that Spike Chunsoft own the Mystery Dungeon IP, right? At any rate, PMD games are usually released in gap years, with the exceptions (Sky and Gates) being on the less grand side (promotionally at least).

I don't see how they could even do a sequel considering how the movie ended.

You realize you're talking about Hollywood, right? If it makes money, they will make a sequel no matter how the last movie ended.

I was always thirsty for a tiger Pokemon, preferably Electric type, since tigers are my favourite animals. (I know, Raikou is a thing, and I love it, but it's a sabretooth and I wanted a real tiger)

Hope you like corgi tigers, because we almost had them in Gen I and Gen II. It was one of the biggest losses in my opinion.

I’m not really sure why the developer matters at all? I don’t really care who is making them, I’m just sick of them lol. Mystery Dungeon etc. were also released 4 or (much) more years ago.
You might not care, but seeing as Pokemon has only asked these studios to do these games, it clearly matters to them.
Releasing games in highly close proximity to one another is not done very often as far as I know. So, yes, Rumble being released right now gets in the way of another spinoff game that I (and I’m sure many others) would prefer to see much more regardless of developer.
What are you talking about? Pokemon Rumble World, Pokken Tournament, and Super Mystery Dungeon released in the same year, 2015. Pokemon Conquest and Gates to Infinity were both released in 2012. The first Pokemon Rumble released in 2009, as did Explorers of Sky. XD released in 2005 with the first Mystery Dungeon games in Japan. PokePark 2 and Rumble Blast both released in 2011. Detective Pikachu and Quest were both released in 2018. This happens all the time.
So are you trying to say that not a single other developer was available for the past four years other than Ambrella? .-. I find that hard to believe.
No developers that could set aside a year or so of time to develop a game, while they had their own projects? Why is that so unlikely? Look at Spike Chunsoft's lineup for the past four years.
  • Danganronpa: Unlimited Battle (iOS, Android, 2015)
  • Kenka Bancho 6: Soul & Blood (Nintendo 3DS, 2015)
  • Ukiyo no Shishi (PlayStation 3, 2015)
  • Ukiyo no Roushi (PlayStation Vita, 2015)
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon (Nintendo 3DS, 2015)
  • Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (PlayStation Vita, 2015)
  • J-Stars Victory VS+ (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, 2015)
  • Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics (PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, 2015)
  • Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (Nintendo 3DS, 2015)
  • Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky (co-developed with Tri-Ace) (PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, 2015)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo 3DS, 2016)
  • One Piece: Burning Blood (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, 2016)
  • Zero Time Dilemma (Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, 2016)
  • Fire Pro Wrestling World (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, 2017)
  • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, 2017)
  • Seikimatsu Days: Our Era's End (Android, iOS, 2018)
  • Zanki Zero: Last Beginning (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, 2018)
  • Jump Force (PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, 2019)
  • AI: The Somnium Files (Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, 2019)
I'm not that surprised that they wouldn't have time to start another Mystery Dungeon game.

I should note—I don’t have inside information on the game itself. Just this specific direct."
Somehow this person has inside information on Game Freak's marketing plans, but were unable to get anything else? Lol, sure.

All I find on this forum is strife and divisions, a typical case as expected in fandoms.
It's not a bad thing to doubt a rumor's validity, especially given the huge number of fakes out there. Nor is it a bad thing to have differing opinions. That's not inherently "strife". (However, looking down on other people for not agreeing with you, and complaining about it...that's stirring up problems more)

My only concern is if they decide that mobile games are the only thing they should be doing. They have reason to come to this conclusion.

I have a ton of unscratched Zeraora cards if you want one of the codes. The dude at Gamestop seriously gave me like 20.
That would be real nice, I'd kinda love you for that roflmao

Hope you like corgi tigers, because we almost had them in Gen I and Gen II. It was one of the biggest losses in my opinion.

It's cute, it's a tiger, it's an Electric type, it's not anthro. I couldn't possibly ask for more. It actually looks like a tiger-mouse tbh, but still adorable. I'd name it Fluffball.

coughs
Baaack on topic, though... I don't think knowing specifics of a direct but not about a game isn't that impossible. I'd assume people who work on those marketing things don't necessarily work also on the actual game, and possibly don't care to talk to colleagues about that. I mean, some people don't care about Pokemon that much.
But otherwise not sure I'm buying into the "leak". Nothing of it really strikes me as "I hope it's not true", I'm not overly excited for any of it either, though. I just feel like, if that's all, then it's for one a bit much for a single direct as well as a bit underwhelming (although, tbf, bullet points tend to generally be more underwhelming than seeing footage in action).
So I'm on the side of fake.

My only concern is if they decide that mobile games are the only thing they should be doing. They have reason to come to this conclusion.
Kind of agree. Or that games start to become more mobile influenced (like Go -> Let's Go). I think that would make the franchise reach the point when I'll actually be dropping it because while I love handhelds, I'm not the biggest fan of mobile games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom