• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very happy with what was revealed during this direct. Although I admit that I haven't taken a liking to dynamaxing yet as much as I originally did with Mega Evolution and Z moves, mainly because it seems that it is all but officially confirmed that we'll never get another new mega evolution again (Dragonite has gotten ripped off, being the original 'Pseudo Legendary' that gets nothing) or any new Z moves. I'm sure I'll grow to enjoy the mechanic once I start using it though.

I'm also not a fan of how Zacian holds onto a sword in his mouth. I would have preferred if Zacian had blades implemented into it's design just like how Zamazenta has a shield implemented into it. To me, it just feels weird seeing Zacian like that.

I'm also worried that we will in fact be forced to wear certain outfits during gym battles. I hated ride gear in Gen VIII and having to wear it every time we used a ride Pokémon, but if we have to be forced to wear an outfit for every gym battle, that will irritate me more than I should. With that being said, I have a strong feeling that the customisation and clothing options in this game will be much better than SM/USUM, which will make me happy.

Other than that, I really enjoyed everything else. The region looks great (I hope I no longer see people on the internet complain that Sword and Shield looks the same as Sun and Moon) and the Pokémon that wander around the wild look really good as well. Having a free roam camera on the 'wild areas' in between cities is also great, and a good step forward towards a more open world game one day with free roaming cameras in the entire game. Having 'raids' that you can compete in with real players seems like a cool idea as well, and I enjoy seeing a new feature that connects us with players for more than just battling and trading.

Corviknight looks great as well.

Last edited:
If this Team Yell is proven real, and that they are rival Football fans, then I am out! Pokemon at this point seems dead to me, and it's a real shame because I was wanting to give it a chance. There's nothing Pokemon in spirit anymore. Yes we got what we wanted, but not without a harsh price.
I honestly don’t understand what you’re saying, what is the price that you’re talking about?

I don’t like the idea of Team Yell because it’s completely dumb, expecially given that Team Skull was the last one we got, but at least in SM/USUM we got the Aether Foundation. Team Yell alone would be dumb and lackluster at the same time.

But I don’t get why this or anything else in the direct mean it’s not Pokémon anymore. While Skull and this Yell team would be the worse of the whole group, it’s not like we didn’t have bad teams before, Flare is one example, and the ideas of Magma and Hydro were moronic at best.

Well, I just found the answer to one of my earlier questions. I had asked if the double pack would be cheaper than both games individually, and it turns out... it isn't. It goes for virtually the exact same price as both games individually (roughly $120, as both games are roughly $60 on their own), so there really isn't any advantage in getting the double pack, except maybe for the steel book thingy. Looks like I'll be just picking up Sword upon release and grab Shield after Christmas or something after all, just like I had planned originally. Oh, well... would've been nice if they had reduced the cost of the double pack to make it worth buying, but I guess it's too-be-expected. sigh

I honestly don’t understand what you’re saying, what is the price that you’re talking about?

I don’t like the idea of Team Yell because it’s completely dumb, expecially given that Team Skull was the last one we got, but at least in SM/USUM we got the Aether Foundation. Team Yell alone would be dumb and lackluster at the same time.

But I don’t get why this or anything else in the direct mean it’s not Pokémon anymore. While Skull and this Yell team would be the worse of the whole group, it’s not like we didn’t have bad teams before, Flare is one example, and the ideas of Magma and Hydro were moronic at best.
At least the past 6 Gen Teams had proper goals, whilst Team Skull are no more than thugs that do nothing but cause chaos. Having another group like that would ruin the potentials to what Galar should have.

But what if they only appear to be football fans? And they're secretly dabbling in some kind of nefarious plot like....they're bank robbers or something. I might just be remembering that one episode of the IT Crowd though.

Personally I don't count Skull as the villains of Sun and Moon. Aether is more your standard villain team. Skull was just the red haring or just wannabe team of thugs that only appear to be bad due to boredom.

At least the past 6 Gen Teams had proper goals, whilst Team Skull are no more than thugs that do nothing but cause chaos. Having another group like that would ruin the potentials to what Galar should have.
Except that Skull was never the main villains and they are treated as jokes even by the other characters (ex: Ilima). Aether is the actual villain team of the games.

Also, sincerely, I think that if Yell is real then I feel the villain could be someone else...

But what if they only appear to be football fans? And they're secretly dabbling in some kind of nefarious plot like....they're bank robbers or something. I might just be remembering that one episode of the IT Crowd though.

Personally I don't count Skull as the villains of Sun and Moon. Aether is more your standard villain team. Skull was just the red haring or just a want to be team of thugs.
And doing it again would show how out of ideas Game Freak is getting for the already 23 year old franchise.

Do you think the August trailer will be the usual massive August trailer or that we just got the August trailer in advance?

Do you think the August trailer will be the usual massive August trailer or that we just got the August trailer in advance?
What we got is the E3 trailer
august trailer should still be big

And doing it again would show how out of ideas Game Freak is getting for the already 23 year old franchise.
They reused the Team Rocket idea from Gen 1-2 through 4, with BW adding an interesting twists, and then returned to the standard idea of the evil team in BW2 and Gen 6. I don’t see how doing the classic evil team in SwSh isn’t stale while doing a Skull-Aether revamp is.

Team Yell is frankly dumb for me, but if there’s a twist to it, or if there’s another villainous group in Galar, I’ll be as fine as I’d be if there’s a single evil team as in most games. The only problem that I have is if Team Yell is the only one in the game.

And as others said, Team Skull were never meant to be the antagonists in the game, Lusamine and the foundation were, which as a whole was a good idea in my opinion. Considering Team Skull as a mainline evil team isn’t fair to SM.

Looking back at the trailer, specifically the Legends' debut, I noticed that the sword of Zacian, when powered up, its hilt/pommel becomes a fish's tail fin, like that of a shark or dolphin.

If so, it would be cool if Zacian ended up being Steel/Water, moreso if Zamazenta ended up being Steel/Ground for a nice counter to each other's power/theme.

With that, I'm updating my guesses for their types:

Zacian = Steel, Steel/Fighting, Steel/Water, Steel/Ice, or Steel/Flying.
Zamazenta = Steel, Steel/Fighting, Steel/Ground, or Steel/Fire
Oooooh, I didn't noticed it before! It seems like the sword has two modes.

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2019-06-06, às 00.38.52.png
    Captura de ecrã 2019-06-06, às 00.38.52.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 71
Not exactly.

• Gen I / II : Yakuza/Mafia steal and aren't afraid to kill pokemon.
  • Gen III : Environmental terrorists
  • Gen IV: Dooms day space cult run by a depressed 20-something man who looks 50.
  • Gen V: PETA meets the Illuminati
  • Gen VI: A fashion designer who really wants to be the last guy standing even if it means killing everyone else but himself.
  • Gen VII: A ragtag band of misfits who do questionable things because they're bored and are trying to seem tough vs. the actual big bads who experiment on pokemon under the guise of trying to protect them.

Having bank robbers or petty thieves or even a corrupted corporation that hands out sponsorships like candy to unsuspecting people would still be original. Or even better have a team full of normal people who are just regular, though rowdy, football fans that don't even know if they're the bad guys or not until they get the orders from higher up to attack a 10 year old Scottish kid.

WOW. That trailer was a lot to take in. And there's so much additional stuff on the website too. I couldn't be more satisfied.

I am oddly okay with Dynamaxing. I laughed at first, but I think it will actually be a good thing. The raid battles look like fun and are reminiscent of an actual RPG big boss battle. Perhaps Raid battles are how we get Hidden Abilities or something. Hopefully we get more stuff out of it too. LOL to the people complain its like GO. Raid battles are totally an MMO thing and that's where my brain went first. I'm really glad we can do it with AI trainers too.

I also like that Gym Leaders are actually going to use the feature. I love that Gym battles are a big event now too.

But here's the biggest reason I'm okay with it; unlike mega evolution and z moves which use fancy magical crystals; it looks like Dynamaxing is achieved through technology (that's what the animation with the pokeballs lead me to believe anyway). It got me thinking; pokeballs have to make pokemon smaller so that they fit in the ball right? So I guess its only logical that it could also work the other way. (technology = knowledge; Trifecta complete right?)

Also; this quote from the US website under Professor Magnolia's page is super suspect:

Her main focus of research has been the Dynamax phenomenon. She shares her home with Sonia and has given her a certain research task...

Professor villain maybe? Geez; EVERYONE seems to be suspicious this time around. (Not that I'm complaining)

There's a picture on the website of Budew sitting on a reception desk of some company.

I highly recommend it when you get the chance. There's quite a few extra tidbits there.
I did finally find time to look through it, yeah!

And I don't know about Dynamaxing being any different from Z-Moves and Mega Evolution- take a look at the Dynamax Band.

dynamax_band.png

It looks to be made of a stone material just like the Z-Ring. They may have infused it with technology and made it functional, but I'm sure the Dynamax phenomenon stems from a natural source just like the other two mechanics did. Especially since a professor is apparently studying it and we know it's happening in the wild via Max Raids.

The leak implies that Team Yell is the only evil team in the game.

The leak also has incomplete information and is clearly coming from someone who only gets to look at promotional material.

Not exactly.

• Gen I / II : Yakuza/Mafia steal and aren't afraid to kill pokemon.

Well, that was Gen I Team Rocket. Gen II Team Rocket were reduced to "Giovanni pls come back" for the most part.

The leak also has incomplete information and is clearly coming from someone who only gets to look at promotional material.
Which is why I think if it's true then that means there could possibly be another villain. Maybe one not affiliated with any organization?

Team Yell will be appropriate for all the screeching that will come if they are the only villains of the game. Well meaning "fans" of a rival character sounds like nothing more than Gary Oak's cheerleaders as antagonist. No chance in hell that will be it, so I'm assuming comic relief status.

Its shining blade can cut through anything.

Its gleaming shield can turn back any attack.

I'm reading the legend's description on the website and all I can think of is: What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

Also called the Shield and Spear paradox apparently (so close)

It looks to be made of a stone material just like the Z-Ring. They may have infused it with technology and made it functional, but I'm sure the Dynamax phenomenon stems from a natural source just like the other two mechanics did. Especially since a professor is apparently studying it and we know it's happening in the wild via Max Raids.

The impression I got was that people found a way to replicate the phenomena for the purpose of battle. The band looks more "techy" to me with no place to insert a stone like the Key stone or the Z stones. It has a flat black surface like the face of a fit bit or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom