• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team yell might be the dumbest name for anything I’ve ever heard. Holy shit. That said I’d be totally cool with a less ambitious and more grounded antagonist team this time that isn’t trying to take over the world or do cosmic villainy or whatever

Why/how do all these disparate groups of miscreants located worlds apart all uniformly decide to call themselves "Team ____", anyway? :unsure:

Got a quick question. What are the total confirmed old Mons in the game so far? I know there are a couple of posts here and there in this thread about it, but there's way too much to sift through, and after jumping over at least 10 pages since last night in order to keep up with the conversations, I'm at a loss. I thank anyone who posts the current list for me, or at least directs me to it. That way I can know what Mons are currently in-game and see how large the dex will end up. Thanks in advance.

Exactly the problem I'm in, verbatim. Part of me wants to get another because of features like this, but then, we clearly don't need it because one Switch has been sufficient thus far, and an extra $360 is a lot more to drop for something unnecessary.
I mean, tbf, that's not too shabby marketing-wise. They might get you a second console sold just because of some features in a Pokémon game.
(Personally if I was in such a situation, and could afford it until November, with saving up etc., I'd just get a second Switch, possibly 2nd hand. Well, I got mine 2nd hand anyways...)

Got a quick question. What are the total confirmed old Mons in the game so far? I know there are a couple of posts here and there in this thread about it, but there's way too much to sift through, and after jumping over at least 10 pages since last night in order to keep up with the conversations, I'm at a loss. I thank anyone who posts the current list for me, or at least directs me to it. That way I can know what Mons are currently in-game and see how large the dex will end up. Thanks in advance.
Think it was Joker who posted the lists? So you can dig in their latest posts for it, because I don't remember the exact list, only that we were a bit over 100 already.

I wouldn't say it's so much a "hopeful statement" as it is a cautious reminder that a leak is not infallible just because some or most of it has been proven to be true. Because nearly every "real leak" has had information that was wrong or misleading. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant, but with the most recent leak I get the impression that the leaker has some sort of attitude. The "Fat Pikachu" and Meowth stuff sounds very sarcastic.

Besides, with this current leak; even stuff we CONFIRMED; he's already gotten half wrong. I'll explain the rest in spoilers:
"Gigantamaxing is different from dynamax as it changes what the pokemon looks like. "
This reply is a little late but time zones :(

I’m just talking about leaks in general. Some people seem to be anti Leaks. If it’s not “leakers put in fake information”, then it’s “the date was photoshopped”, or “this small detail was wrong so the whole thing must be fake”. I recall someone saying the Chinese Leak was fake after everything it mentioned came true because one detail was wrong so “all leaks must be fake”.

As for your other points. About the legendary confusion. Who’s to say they aren’t the same legendary? Technically speaking Zekrom and Reshiram are the same legendary. Even then it’s a pretty accurate description of the legendaries, so I’d give them a pass on this one.

For the Dynamax/Gigantamax thing, yea it seems like a small enough difference to not need another name, but it’s gamefreak and maybe there is a reason for two. There are 2 different kinds of Z-Ring. There was the Z-Ring and then the Z-Power Ring which was a bit different. And there were X/Y variants of some Mega Stones, although that’s a bit different.

For the regional thing. They said regional evolution and mentioned a new name for Farfetchd. It’s something else, could be a mix of both so instead of being “Galarian Meowth”, it might be treated as a separate Pokémon like a subspecies in Monster Hunter.

Also a Pokémon can get more than one thing... Raichu got an Alolan form and a Z-Move. Charizard got 2 Mega Evolutions. Pikachu got 2 Z-Moves. It’s not unrealistic for a Pokémon to have both a regional evolution and a Gigantomax form.

It is a bit much though to say this leak is half wrong, since we haven’t seen anything yet.

Wasn’t Masters releasing in 2020 though?
And SwSh could include characters with story importance or just because.

All characters will not be returning, but I think it’s inevitable that we'll see some of them.
No. Masters will be released Calendar Year 2019

That's my biggest issue with the Switch as a home console/handheld hybrid- I hate the idea that they expect you to get one for every person in your household. My girlfriend has been sharing mine and is against the idea of us getting another one (which, yeah, we're kind of tight on money right now), so we're just gonna have to take turns playing Pokemon instead of being able to play simultaneously and trade/battle with each other. It really bums me out!

I'm hoping I can save up some money and maybe convince her to change her mind, but it also feels silly because we've been doing fine with sharing the one Switch up until now. Buying another Switch just for one game (which we'd also then need to buy two copies of, which is a lot more daunting when its $60 games instead of $40 ones) seems kind of ridiculous. Oh well...
Exactly the problem I'm in, verbatim. Part of me wants to get another because of features like this, but then, we clearly don't need it because one Switch has been sufficient thus far, and an extra $360 is a lot more to drop for something unnecessary.
For reasons like this, I think a cheaper version of the Switch will probably be announced sooner rather than later. I give it a year.

How does a demo work at E3? Can only staff play them or are they available to anyone at the event? Do we know if it will be showcased on Youtube like the 2016 Sun and Moon demonstration at the Nintendo Treehouse (40 minutes long), or like how Let's Go was showcased at E3 in 2018 (30 minutes long).

Random thought: This is my nth time ranting about this but we already have 4 MD games, can they revive a pokemon ranger game? Or at least remake? I really miss those games

How does a demo work at E3? Can only staff play them or are they available to anyone at the event? Do we know if it will be showcased on Youtube like the 2016 Sun and Moon demonstration at the Nintendo Treehouse (40 minutes long), or like how Let's Go was showcased at E3 in 2018 (30 minutes long).

Usually we see the staff go through the game~ I don't expect it to be on the floor but it could be. And we don't know how long the Showcase at the Treehouse Event will be until it happens (there's usually an estimate to how long the segment will be but there's no guarantee of one).

This link might be helpful.

Edit: Though it might be missing some of the more hard-to-see Pokémon.

This. I had the same reaction. You have to actually pause the video at just the right moment to see it happen. It goes by very fast, so fast you wouldn't notice it, and just think the sword is taking on a nice blue glow. This confirms those wings on Zacian aren't just for looks, and it gave me a better look and impression on Zacian.

Oh yes. I initially liked Zamazenta more, but Zacian's cool feat made me convert to Zacianism (unless Zamazenta also has something neat up its sleeve).

Last edited:
So far we know the Grass Type Gym Leader is male called Milo for Kilsburn who's a Shepherd/Farmer

And according to the leak, if true by this point, we then have a female Water Type Gym Leader called Nessa for Blackpool, a male Ice Type Gym Leader called Kabu for Liverpool (Kabu meaning ''fog'') and Opal who is a female Fairy Type Gym Leader for London's Wembley Stadium, who's an actress. I'd like to see a Robin Hood based Gym Leader for the Ghost Type who has a Decidueye.

Anyone else find it kind of weird that the champion has a Charizard. Usually starters from other gens are restricted in use to very special circumstances (such as Sycamore which made sense since he gave you a Kanto starters in the game as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom