• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think yall are reading too much into Leon. the main reason he's been shown early is probably because he's Hop's brother and the game will pretty much immediately show and tell you that, rendering any effort to keep the champion under wraps pointless.

Hmm, I don't think so. He will certainly be more relevant than the previous champions were, at least, I think.

But ok, leaving Leon aside, think about the development of Hop. If Leon is really all he seems to be, given that we players will be the champions at the end of the game (and not Hop), how do you imagine his development will ocurr? I mean, using Leon as a "trigger" for the development of Hop seems very likely to me, as well.

Last edited:
The leak may or may not be true though. Some of it has truth, whilst also smelling of red herrings.
leaks have been inaccurate, wrong, or 'misleading' in the past. i mean, the other big leak for SM talked about things like "overlord pokemon" and an Alola Arcanine, the former being a misunderstanding (?) of Totem Pokemon and the latter just being wrong.

The problem is Opal has been stated to be a Fairy-type leader. The thought of her being a Dark-type leader is just to rectify a very understandable error to make.
Perhaps this is trying to get Game Freak off it's scent. Opals when you study their purpose are known for ill luck.

You're just trying to fix an error that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone make and you're also desperate for a Dark-type gym.
I'm not desperate for a Dark Type Gym, I'm just following the order that the leaker has placed their names in. I maybe wrong though, we won't know until proven okay?

i think yall are reading too much into Leon. the main reason he's been shown early is probably because he's Hop's brother and the game will pretty much immediately show and tell you that, rendering any effort to keep the champion under wraps pointless.
Most likely. I thought the same about the new mechanic. If they showed it so early it's because it's not the most interesting new mechanic, Gigantamax or whatever it is called and regional evolutions is August stuff.

Hmm, I don't think so. He will certainly be more relevant than the previous champions were, at least, I think.

But ok, leaving Leon aside, think about the development of Hop. If Leon is really all he seems to be, given that we players will be the champions at the end of the game (and not Hop), how do you imagine his development will ocurr? I mean, using Leon as a "trigger" for the development of Hop seems very likely to me, as well.
oh of course. i wasn't trying to say that Leon wouldn't play a major role in the story, just that he probably isn't some super secret antagonist or villain because he was revealed early.

Hop is probably just going to be some amalgamation of Barry, Selena/Calem, and Hau. maybe a dash of Cheren or Bianca in the mix too.

Yeah, he even seems to show up at the train station shortly after you walk into town, and after you choose your starter at Hop's house
I wouldn't exclude he'll be there when you receive your starter (or even he'll give it to you and hop).

Assuming this leak is real, my predicted Galar Gym Leader lineup is this:
Milo (Grass)
Nessa (Water)
Kabu (Steel)
Opal (Fairy)
Dusty (Ground)
Hailey (Ice)
Drakeena (Dragon)
Ellie (Electric)
Where did you get the rest of the leak from, I'm interested of seeing...

Also, 5 Girls, 3 Guys? Normally Gyms are balanced with genders.

Fairy could work with the forest area.

Since Pokémon Sword and Shield are being played at E3, it is safe to assume we'll see something new. Like others have said, I imagine seeing at least 1 or 2 new Pokémon available early in game, and we'll get a sample of some of the early game music as well. From here on out, we'll hopefully be getting a somewhat steady stream of news.

Game Freak Defense Squad strikes again!

You guys need to understand that "out of ideas" is an opinion just as valid as "full of ideas". Yes, ideas and creativity are not finite. That's correct. But you can still "run out of good ideas" temporarily. And it's fair game to think that's the case with Game Freak currently.

I don't know why it triggers you guys so much. There is a serious thought-police going on in here that needs to stop.

And for the record, I disagree that GF are running out of good ideas: great new Pokémon like Wooloo prove that. And the Wild Area is a great new idea as well.

But please, stop telling people what to say or think. It's ok to have different opinions.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however, if Gamefreak truly 'ran out of ideas' then Sword and Shield would be exactly the same as Sun and Moon. And as it turns out, it isn't. 'Running out of ideas' and 'Not liking what they have done' are two completely different phrases and meanings. If the majority of people are really enjoying what this game is bringing so far, then they've hardly ran out of ideas. That's the difference.

Last edited:
oh of course. i wasn't trying to say that Leon wouldn't play a major role in the story, just that he probably isn't some super secret antagonist or villain because he was revealed early.

Hop is probably just going to be some amalgamation of Barry, Selena/Calem, and Hau. maybe a dash of Cheren or Bianca in the mix too.

Okay, but I don't said I think he would be a super secret villain. And that theory isn't only based on the fact that "it was revealed early", but on everything else happening (the Galar league format, he being revealed early, the sponsors on his cape, he being a popular figure in Galar, his supposed perfect record, his relationship with Hop...).

And just a note: to be honest, I think PinkIceFox wasn't talking all that serious as you can see from their post, I just pointed out the hypothesis that I think that can really happen, personally.

"...just that he probably isn't some super secret antagonist or villain because he was revealed early." This isn't what was said.

About Hop, the point I mentioned (and that I find quite interesting), is that unlike other rivals, who are usually inspired by the players, he seems to be more inspired by his brother. So I think Leon can be used in some way in his development. And this could "conflict" with the theory about Leon not being what it seems to be. But yeah, just my view on that.

Last edited:
Another leak popped up? Really? I'm kinda wary about it.

Edit: Ninja'd. Nvm.

The last four are my own predictions. Also, they've had gender imbalances with the gyms before.
You don't know those names. You don't even know of what typing many of them can be. All we can guess is the colors on the map, and it's simple enough...

Grass - Milo
Water - Nessa
Fire or Steel - Kabu
Dark - Opal (because the color looks dark in color, and if Ice then should be light blue.
Rock - ???
Ghost or Poison- ???
Dragon - ???
Fairy - ??? (because of flower)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom