• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the japenese name is Dande, from dandelion, I think they just took the second part of the word and worked on it for reference the flower as well. The same went for the Italian translation, when they call him Dandel.
That makes more sense, yeah.

Besides, Messi doesn't deserve to be referenced as the champion. Especially in a UK based region, since Messi has never played in the English Premier League, while Cristiano Ronaldo is a Manchester United legend (played there for 6 seasons).

Last edited:
That makes more sense, yeah.

Besides, Messi doesn't deserve to be referenced as the champion. Especially in a UK based region, since, Messi has never played in the EPL, whereas Cristiano Ronaldo is a Manchester United legend.
I’m pretty sure GameFreak isn’t going to look that deeply into foreign football...
Its just going to be a simple reference.

or maybe a jab at football fans:sneaky:

Yeah, but I wouldn't put that out of the way, considering how this game has prominent soccer-like stadiums and soccer is prominent in both LA and Spain.
While a soccer reference isn’t something impossible, I think for the English translation it was just a work on the original name’s reference.

The Spanish translation has more chances to be a reference to Messi, given that he’s called Lionel there.

While a soccer reference isn’t something impossible, I think for the English translation it was just a work on the original name’s reference.

The Spanish translation has more chances to be a reference to Messi, given that he’s called Lionel there.
But I was talking about the Spanish reference from the start when I mentioned Messi...

‘Leon’ is also French for Lion... is it a coincidence?

Maybe yet another play on ‘king’ using the ‘king of the jungle’.

EDIT: Apparently I dreamt up the translation of Lion=Leon in French, but fortunately it indeed means 'Lion' in Greek.

Last edited:

Speaking of names, I'm looking into other possible meanings for エール aside from yell (and ale, football hooligans confirmed :ROFLMAO:). So far this is what I found:
  • Yell: One of the islands of Scotland, meaning 'barren' etymologically
  • Eire: Irish Gaelic for Ireland

So... Could they also be independentists?

Soble is really sweating and crying ?

Among amphibians, some salamanders can extrude sharp venom-tipped ribs

Mexican Beated Lizard and Gilla monster

I think taking that we never had a poisonous water starter associated with aphibic reactures going on land and Froakies and Greninja potential I think more and more that this final stage goona be cool.

Salamanders and Chamelons both use mimicry and camouflage.

I think it's gonna be a mix.
__

Wooloo feels powerfull maybe even as powerfull like a Miltank? name related to sound could mean it gets some sound moves.

Last edited:
Wooloo looks quite weak, and the Pokédex (as well as his behavior on the field) seems to confirm that.
Although, one of his abilities is quite useful (given that it’s pure normal, he has only one weakness other then gaining the Fire one).

Maybe it’d become quite powerful with an evolution, otherwise I don’t think he’d be in Miltank range of power.

Firstly, you are kinda late to this party. We already ate all the cake xD

Just so you know: whenever someone says the phrase "Game Freak are running out of ideas" what they actually mean is that, in their opinion, Game Freak are running out of good ideas. Which is a totally valid personal opinion (as long as the person making that claim realises it's only their subjective opinion, not an objectively true statement).

But you are renewing a discussion that has been over for a few days so let's just drop it. (y)

Replies to tell me to drop it... That comment makes even less sense than the comments people make when they say that someone is running out of ideas. If you wanted it to drop, you could have simply not replied. I chose to reserve my right to reply to any message I see fit in this thread, as I don't always check these forums every day.

As for the actual argument at hand, it doesn't matter what their meanings are behind the phrase, it is still incorrect either way. Stating either "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" or "Gamefreak ran out of good ideas" is the same thing, and both nonsensical to say. If people are going to use incorrect wording to express their opinions, others will pick up on that and question it, as you have now seen. A personal opinion would be "I dislike what Gamefreak have done here." Saying "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" is merely an incorrect attempt at an objective view, given how it is worded. When people say "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" what it really sounds like is "I personally dislike what is happening, which means an entire company of people do not have any clue as to what they are doing, despite the vast majority actually liking it." There is a huge difference.

Replies to tell me to drop it... That comment makes even less sense than the comments people make when they say that someone is running out of ideas. If you wanted it to drop, you could have simply not replied.
I simply replied to you out of courtesy and education, since you quoted me (not the other way around).

As for the actual argument at hand, it doesn't matter what their meanings are behind the phrase, it is still incorrect either way. Stating either "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" or "Gamefreak ran out of good ideas" is the same thing, and both nonsensical to say. If people are going to use incorrect wording to express their opinions, others will pick up on that and question it, as you have now seen. A personal opinion would be "I dislike what Gamefreak have done here." Saying "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" is merely an incorrect attempt at an objective view, given how it is worded. When people say "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" what it really sounds like is "I personally dislike what is happening, which means an entire company of people do not have any clue as to what they are doing, despite the vast majority actually liking it." There is a huge difference.
If you've read the entire discussion, other people already pointed out to me the exact same things you are telling me now, and I already replied to their arguments. So you are bringing literally nothing new to the discussion. And I am not telling you to drop it: I am suggesting it may be a good idea to not renew a heated discussion from 3 days ago, but it's up to you.

You simply can't do anything to stop some people from thinking and saying that, in their opinion, Game Freak are running out of good ideas. Just like I can't stop some people from thinking Dynamax is a top quality new idea.

It's not up to you or me to decide what others think. You have no power over what opinions others express.

Last edited:
My, such pleasant responses...

I'm kind of curious what Meteordyna is. I would assume it's a major Legendary since (as mentioned before) its name alludes to the new gimmick and new gimmicks are usually tied to major ones like Necrozma to Z-Moves. The question I have is what that role of importance it would have since due to the overlap with the other rumor there should be a fourth Legendary in Eternatus, and unlike Meteordyna where the leaker wasn't sure how important it was, Eternatus was clearly thought of as the wolves' counterparts as the leaker took them to be opposites. So unless Eternatus is Meteordyna (which isn't likely due to how TCPi handles the Cover Legendaries' names across languages), it doesn't seem to be their 'third legendary', so where would it fit relative to the others?
The leaker says Meteordyna is a minor legend, so it's probably like the Tapu/Genies, while Eternatus is still the third legend

EDIT: Just saw that the leaker said it could be a major legend as well. If that's case, then that makes things much more complicated. With the May 23rd leak, I think what may happen (if Meteordyna is indeed a major legend) is that Zacian/Zamazenta and Eternatus will be the one taking the spotlight for the first pair, with Meteordyna taking the 3rd version (or equivalent) mascot spot, despite technically being the "4th" legend. Either that, or GF's doing something totally unprecedented and having two pairs of cover legends (Zacian/Zamazenta and Eternatus/Meteordyna) for the gen

Last edited:
Damn. I missed people talking about their favorite rivals. Ah well. I'll say it anyways. Wally is my favorite rival (with Gladion not to far behind).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom