• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard time and time again from /vp/ that GF does the bare minimum when developing main series Pokémon games from Gen 6 and beyond.

I also heard things like “Pokémon is the biggest video game franchise, so they should have the money to hire more 3D modelers.”, “Pokemon should be given to more competent developers.” “They should delay SwSh to another year.” “GF is lazy.” “This game from a decade ago has better graphics than SwSh.” The list goes on.

Is it really GF’s fault entirely that Pokémon is now a yearly franchise?

On a less grim topic: Who is Freddy Freaker?
Back in the 80s in the US 1-900 numbers were a thing to scam people out of money just so they could talk to recordings of a character.

Fast forward a few decades and one in particular, Freddy Freaker, became a meme:

I don’t get the animal crossing

We had 3 straight years of Pokemon mainline Games

Just delay it a few months.

They won’t do it because Nintendo needs a big holiday games to sell systems

Back in the 80s in the US 1-900 numbers were a thing to scam people out of money just so they could talk to recordings of a character.

Fast forward a few decades and one in particular, Freddy Freaker, became a meme:

I didn't know about that. Since I'm from CR (and wasn't born at the time) I didn't know they did that.

They also assume SwSh is gonna get a sequel, but that's really not at all a promise, as Pokemon Z can attest to.

i dont think the particulars of that one really matter; SwoShi sequel or no there's still probably going to be another gen 8 game which could possibly have the rest (in fact i think it would be preferable if it weren't a second galar game at all, myself)

And they say people are modeling the Dynamax forms, too, but that's...literally just the Pokemon but bigger? They're just gonna upscale the model, it's not like making a new Pokemon.

perhaps, though i recall them saying a similar thing about why they decided to keep let's go limited to just the originals. not just because of nostalgia but also because they wanted to "focus on making the pokemon as expressive as possible." maybe it's just bald lies (not saying that's not possible; they are a company whose highest priority is profit), or maybe the process is more complicated than the fandom assumes?

eta:
Eurogamer: I also wanted to quickly ask about the Pokémon that are available in the game - like those which are related to Kanto but not in the original 151. Pokémon like Igglybuff, or Magmortar, that tie into first-generation Pokémon. What was the reasoning behind leaving those out?

Masuda: So, kind of at the basis of it you know is that in the first generation there aren't any Pokémon Eggs, so you know, when we thought about how would these Pokémon be hatched in the first place, it kind of didn't make any sense. But also you know we wanted to spend more time and put more effort into making the Kanto Pokémon, the original 151, as well made as possible, and expressing them as well as we could.

At this point I just hope there's an explanation about this in the next couple days. Even if it's a rewording of the statement. I'm just getting really tired of all the yelling.

Game Freak is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the rate everything it going.

I didn't know about that. Since I'm from CR (and wasn't born at the time) I didn't know they did that.

It was an anomaly. The numbers were so ingrained in pop culture that they have even been parodied on things like the Simpsons and Rick and Morty.

Yeah, but when that was discovered neither Colosseum or FRLG were announced, making it seem like they were dummied out.
Well yeah but they actually weren't.This time though we know for sure those aren't coming back unless they release patches or updates for the games in the future.
It also destroys the whole point of Pokémon Home by trapping some species in it. It just doesn't make sense at all.

Pokemon: 1996 to 2019 RIP

Perhaps all the old pokemon will be compatible in the next games? Sw 2 / Sh 2 or DPP remakes? If you think about that, that's quite a marketing strategy. Considering they said the reason wasn't because they didn't want to, but due to time.

I think people have a right to be upset and express that they are upset. It's not merely a criticism, it is a complaint. Criticism is telling the waiter that your burger could have been seasoned a little more. A complaint is telling the waiter that your hamburger is raw or you found a hair in the salad. Excluding certain pokemon arbitrarily because of "deadlines" (presumably) makes the game feel unfinished; raw.

Now some people might see that same burger and think that it is not raw, because everybody cooks their burger differently, but to the people who think it is raw; it is a pretty big deal, and you shouldn't expect anyone to just accept a raw burger.

As such, I think that telling people to express "criticism" alone isn't really appropriate in this context, and is insulting to people who are upset about it; especially after GameFreak has acknowledged that they are aware of how important people's pokemon are and how unique that emotional connection is to the franchise. The whole situation is odd, and they need to know that its more than just a criticism.

This is NOT to advocate personal attacks of any kind, but it also really unfair to lump people who are upset over this issue and voicing their complaints in with people who are making the attacks. It's also really insulting to infer that everyone should not only just accept the burger and eat it anyway, but also be sympathetic to the Cook who served it to us.

Game Freak is damned if they do and damned if they don't at the rate everything it going.
My prediction in case Masuda ever resigns: People will begin mistreating the new guy, possibly treating Masuda now as a saint.

It was an anomaly. The numbers were so ingrained in pop culture that they have even been parodied on things like the Simpsons and Rick and Morty.

I asked my parents about this. Apparently they were also ones that made pranks. Yeah, I don't get it.

I think people have a right to be upset and express that they are upset. It's not merely a criticism, it is a complaint. Criticism is telling the waiter that your burger could have been seasoned a little more. A complaint is telling the waiter that your hamburger is raw or you found a hair in the salad. Excluding certain pokemon arbitrarily because of "deadlines" (presumably) makes the game feel unfinished; raw.

Now some people might see that same burger and think that it is not raw, because everybody cooks their burger differently, but to the people who think it is raw; it is a pretty big deal, and you shouldn't expect anyone to just accept a raw burger.

As such, I think that telling people to express "criticism" alone isn't really appropriate in this context, and is insulting to people who are upset about it; especially after GameFreak has acknowledged that they are aware of how important people's pokemon are and how unique that emotional connection is to the franchise. The whole situation is odd, and they need to know that its more than just a criticism.

This is NOT to advocate personal attacks of any kind, but it also really unfair to lump people who are upset over this issue and voicing their complaints in with people who are making the attacks. It's also really insulting to infer that everyone should not only just accept the burger and eat it anyway, but also be sympathetic to the Cook who served it to us.

Insert "Please Understand" meme here.

Yes, it's pretty established - to not make insults for accidents, a fine line between making insults for things people did on purpose.

It's a way to save data space, time/money, and a way for them to push people to use more new pokemon than old ones. I can see why they'd do it.

Not saying I agree with it, but I can see why they're doing it. Sounds like the old people who run things are doing their old people thing and shifting for what they think with give them the most moolah without giving any concern to what the fanbase wants.

Can anyone be surprised at this point? Ever since HG/SS we have been begging for following pokemon and they never delieverd. They let Hau's starter follow him instead, and also put it in a crappy gimmick version of a remake.

They don't care about you. They care about your money. No amount of words will change their mind. If you don't like the direction it's going, by all means. Speak with the language they'll listen to. Don't buy Sword and Shield. Don't buy ANY pokemon game related stuff.

But also unless a lot of unrest happens in Japan they probably won't care what we think if we live outside Japan.

I don't mind the changes that much, and I'll be buying Sword because I'm fine with limited pokemon options. As long as the stories don't devolve into crap and the characters become boring and bland.

I don't mind the changes that much, and I'll be buying Sword because I'm fine with limited pokemon options. As long as the stories don't devolve into crap and the characters become boring and bland.

The problem is that what's Pokemon is. You play it for the Pokemon. The human characters are, quite frankly, absolute shite and I think most Pokemon fans would gladly admit that. How many more times are we going to get the same anime archetypes - the underdog who wants to be the very best, your friendly rival who can never quite catch up, the girl character who just wants to put the Pokemon in pretty dresses and hates battling. Etc. etc. It's the same damn story for EIGHT games and when we said "please at least give us a narrative" they give us the same storyline AGAIN and instead start removing the Pokemon, the one thing people give a damn about in the franchise, without giving us anything substantial that we can't get from other games? If I want to explore a big world I can play the Witcher or Ni No Kuni or Zelda. If I want interesting character development, I sure as hell ain't coming to Pokemon for it. People play Pokemon for the Pokemon, and once you start removing those to give us weather effects in the overworld you've lost sight of the point of the franchise.

My prediction in case Masuda ever resigns: People will begin mistreating the new guy, possibly treating Masuda now as a saint.
At this rate, I feel like everyone's going to resign due to all the outrage this debacle has caused.

I asked my parents about this. Apparently they were also ones that made pranks. Yeah, I don't get it.
Yeah, I watched a bunch of ads one day. They were strange. They were like the dot com boom of the 80s and early 90s.

The problem is that what's Pokemon is. You play it for the Pokemon. The human characters are, quite frankly, absolute shite and I think most Pokemon fans would gladly admit that. How many more times are we going to get the same anime archetypes - the underdog who wants to be the very best, your friendly rival who can never quite catch up, the girl character who just wants to put the Pokemon in pretty dresses and hates battling. Etc. etc. It's the same damn story for EIGHT games and when we said "please at least give us a narrative" they give us the same storyline AGAIN and instead start removing the Pokemon, the one thing people give a damn about in the franchise, without giving us anything substantial that we can't get from other games? If I want to explore a big world I can play the Witcher or Ni No Kuni or Zelda. If I want interesting character development, I sure as hell ain't coming to Pokemon for it. People play Pokemon for the Pokemon, and once you start removing those to give us weather effects in the overworld you've lost sight of the point of the franchise.
^ Honestly, the not-being-able-to-transport-all-pokemon over to Sw/Sh is likely temp, likely fixable by patches, as well as future games, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom