• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And was the 'Megas and Z-Moves are replaced' thing cleared? Does that mean that they aren’t in focus but will be present regardless (like Megas in SM) or they won’t be available entirely?
I think it’s the former but I'd like a clarification.

But this is even worse than before. Some people are treating this as dealbreakers. And it's not even like pokemon a non transferable at all.
I can see where are they coming from, specially since we don’t even know if it’s confirmed that GameFreak will be adding them later on.
This would be specially hurting for people with lesser popular favourites, since Kanto has been given priority yet again.

I guess I'm a bit too much 'don’t blame someone for overtly positive/negative response' person

And was the 'Megas and Z-Moves are replaced' thing cleared? Does that mean that they aren’t in focus but will be present regardless (like Megas in SM) or they won’t be available entirely?
I think it’s the former but I'd like a clarification.
Them being replaced was a mistranslation but as to whether they will be in the game or not, we still don't know.

I'm also a firm believer that all of the mons can eventually be added in the future in DLC. People are overreacting way too much thinking there's 0 chance of non-Galar Region Dex mons getting added. Even if it's not a plan of their's now, there's nothing stopping them from working on it in the future.

We have gone without being able to transfer before. It won't kill you if you can't do it here.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, there is no bigger turn-off in a video game, than the developer telling me:

"We decided to cut X because we didn't have time / we didn't want to make fans wait too long".

Yet every time in the months leading up to a new game, this forum is nothing but weeks on end wondering just when we're going to get something, day after day after day (mind you, when a new game has yet to even be announced) and people getting ANGRY because they have not gotten any sort of news yet that they weren't even promised.

EVERY SINGLE DAY. THIS VERY FORUM. Countdowns till midnight for nothing. Angry because they aren't getting any news.

Can you really, reeaalllyy blame them for aiming to release the game sooner rather than later?

That Megas and Z-moves are unobtainable is also mistranslated.
Them being replaced was a mistranslation but as to whether they will be in the game or not, we still don't know.
Thank goodness! Even though the mechanics have their own merits, Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves had clearly more effort behind them (new models altogether with unique stats, ability and movesets for Megas and unique animations for each Z-Move, more so in the case of unique Z-Moves) so Dynamax would be a really bad replacement for them.

Can you really, reeaalllyy blame them for aiming to release the game sooner rather than later?
I can't blame them, you are right. It's a sound business decision to release a game earlier, if you are sure people will buy it anyway.

What I am asking Masuda, is to politely LIE to us, and make up an alternative excuse, in order to give us the illusion of a complete, finished game.

"The game is not complete yet, but we are releasing it anyway because we didn't want to keep our impatient fans waiting too long" is such an anti-PR statement imo.

Last edited:
That's not what happened. I replied to your post, and then at the end (after replying), I suggested that we drop the discussion. I was very polite, in fact.
Why did you feel the urge to quote me, only to tell me exactly what 3 other users already told me? Did it not occur to you that you were making the discussion go in circles?
I thought it would've been rude to act as if I hadn't noticed your post. So I answered, and politely suggested that we dropped the discussion, precisely because it is going in circles. If you prefer it, I will just ignore you next time (y)
And that's where you are wrong. Whenever someone says "Game Freak are running out of good ideas" it is always from the perspective of whoever is making the claim. So they are not wrong for saying it. It's just an opinion.

I think correcting (thought policing) other people's personal opinions comes off a lot more arrogant, though. And that's what you guys are doing.

It may be from the perspective of whoever is making the claim, but that doesn't change the fact that the wording/ phasing is incorrect. I still find it ironic whenever someone makes a post almost solely to tell someone to 'drop the discussion' when simply not replying would achieve that, and isn't rude at all. However, I respect and appreciate that you were trying to do it because you deemed it polite.

The discussion may have gone in circles, however, when people read a certain discussion for the first time, people will still want to put their own opinion on the matter, even if it has 'ended.'

I will agree to drop this discussion though, as we all have bigger things to worry about now, like what the hell game freak is currently planning on doing to us all.

the new electric dog looks normal/electric or fairy/electric , nice hope for motor drive , thick fat or something maybe better?

the imp looks ghost, fairy, dark, poison hard to say now... poison/fairy with corrosion? possible? dark/fairy? possible.

I actually cannot believe that Gamefreak made the decision to effectively cull out what I expect to be approximately 50% of all Pokémon at least (depending how many Pokémon are actually available in Sword and Shield). I bet this was Thanos' doing!

seriously though, I have never been more disappointed in Pokémon before now. I will live with this decision, assuming this will only happen with Sword and Shield and will not be an ongoing thing, but their reasonings just makes no sense to me. They said it was a balancing issue as well as a development time issue.

I have no idea how they think this decision benefits any kind of balancing issue, because if you thought everyone used the same Pokémon in official tournaments before, then wait until 50%+ Pokémon have been completely removed from the situation, giving us much less options than before. This does not help any kind of meta game at all, the way I see it, it makes even worse balancing issues.

As for development time issues, they literally have every Pokémon model available in HD all ready to go, all they need to do is put that coding into the game, and that's it. If they needed time to make the models as expressive and animated as possible, that should have been one of their very first thoughts at the beginning of development.

The way i see it, we have two options left. Either Gamefreak can plan an upgrade/patch for Sword and Shield to work on after release that will allow us to have all Pokémon in the game again, or they can do what I think is wise and just delay the games. This just feels like they are cutting corners, and I imagine most of the dedicated fanbase would much rather have the games delayed than have games released where we cannot even use half of the Pokémon. Everyone already seems to be outraged by this, and the fact they actually thought this was the BEST option to go forward with has me personally very disappointed. We will now have majority of Pokémon stuck on Bank/Home for a year at best. I can only hope they do not plan on making this a thing for all future games, as that is what would be truly disappointing.

Also, I too noticed they said Dynamaxing 'replaces' mega evolution and Z moves. I hope that is just a poor choice of words on their end and it doesn't actually replace those two features. having them removed from the game completely is also disappointing.

The games do look beautifully made regardless, and I'll still be definitely getting the games, however, I do not believe this decision was a smart decision at all, let alone the BEST option.

That WHAT IF wont happen unless we complain!!!

I'm pretty sure it will, since its exactly what happened last gen.

Besides, I don't wanna complain. I personally dislike the fact that there are so few games that have Pokedexes restricted to just the new Pokemon at the time (its literally just gens I & V). If it were up to me, Galar would have ~150 brand-new Pokemon but ONLY those Pokemon, at least for these two games. I think saving old mons for a little later so GF can create more new mons each gen is a much better decision than having only like 70 new mons so the old ones can be included from the start.

remember they removed gym leaders last gen and with the backlash they get from stupid trials loom where that got us now this gen? Unless there is a big enough backlash they wont redo it

No I don't remember that actually. What I do remember is people complaining the Pokemon formula was gtting a bit stale, and it would be cool if Nintendo mixed it up a bit, and then people being happy they did that with trials (tho tbh they are still basically gyms, it really wasn't a very big change).

Then there is the battle frontier debacle since less fans complain about it they surely OMIT IT COMPLETELY!

Well that I can certainly agree with.

NOW STOP SAYING WE SHOULDNT BE MAD

But you shouldn't ... ?

Last edited:
THey have every right to be mad.

However what they choose to do with that anger is another thing entirely. Write up a thought out list of reasons why this is a bad decision? Yes. Calling Gamefreak and everyone associated with the game idiots or directly harassing their tweeter feeds/threatening them? Nope.

They can be angry fans. Just don't be BAD angry fans.

I think you will can choose between Dynamax or the others... In this game it will be the main mechanic... probably transfering pokemon with items from older will allow us to check it all. They probably planned it.
Replaces but not removes....that would be a bad thing. We need to compare them and see when and what is better.

Maybe after the main game they will unblock the items related to the old mechnics? by transfering pokemon with items from XY and Sun and Moon they need to work in the games.

You can't take a way a good and liked game mechanic like you can't remove a pokemon or a type, they have their own fans and should be respected.

Last edited:
I'm also a firm believer that all of the mons can eventually be added in the future in DLC. People are overreacting way too much thinking there's 0 chance of non-Galar Region Dex mons getting added. Even if it's not a plan of their's now, there's nothing stopping them from working on it in the future.

We have gone without being able to transfer before. It won't kill you if you can't do it here.

Yet every time in the months leading up to a new game, this forum is nothing but weeks on end wondering just when we're going to get something, day after day after day (mind you, when a new game has yet to even be announced) and people getting ANGRY because they have not gotten any sort of news yet that they weren't even promised.

EVERY SINGLE DAY. THIS VERY FORUM. Countdowns till midnight for nothing. Angry because they aren't getting any news.

The problem is that they easily could have told us they plan on working on a future update. They know what this news would do, there is no way they wouldn't know how upset people would be over it. They could have easily told us they had plans to do so, and it would have calmed down the fanbase a lot more.

Now, I agree with you that updates/DLC is possible, however, I believe people aren't over reacting at all. We currently have no reason at all except hope to expect that they are actually planning on making a patch to fix this later, and that is why everyone is so disappointed.

As for your statement on wanting the games to be released sooner rather than later because of 'fan demands' I would make a very safe bet that almost all of those people would not want a game released soon if it meant half of all Pokémon (possible even more than half) are completely culled from the game. Everyone who is desperate for news is just desperate for information, not for a game to be released with half of all Pokémon culled from it.

Welp my brother just informed me that from what all he's read about Gamefreak's terrible decisions that he's never buying a new pokemon game again.

So looks like I won't be getting other-version exclusive pokemon at all since he's literally the only person I know not-online who might have played it.

: ) Thanks Gamefreak. I hate yer guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom