• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly of all the bad things I've seen in sw/sh, cutting off some pokemon is the one I find more reasonable. I know people are really disappointed but I was kinda expecting this soon or later...
I hope this translates to more exciting features in the games. But I'm also quite anxoius about the leak. While It feels good to have cross gen evolutions, It also looks like there's nothing there entirely new apart from another unseful mechanic...
In other words, I hope the wild area is not the only great feature they have to show. I need more things that make me look at these games as console games...(I've lost a good part of my hype about Raids cause they felt too slow in the threehouse and gyms now look just bigger to me and not a new way of thinking gyms battles as I was expecting since the first trailer).

Honestly of all the bad things I've seen in sw/sh, cutting off some pokemon is the one I find more reasonable. I know people are really disappointed but I was kinda expecting this soon or later...
I hope this translates to more exciting features in the games. But I'm also quite anxoius about the leak. While It feels good to have cross gen evolutions, It also looks like there's nothing there entirely new apart from another unseful mechanic...
In other words, I hope the wild area is not the only great feature they have to show. I need more things that make me look at these games as console games...(I've lost a good part of my hype about Raids cause they felt too slow in the threehouse and gyms now look just bigger to me and not a new way of thinking gyms battles as I was expecting since the first trailer).
I think they were slow because people were taking time with their decisions. A good matchmaking system or being able to play with friends should help there. However Nintendo or GF have never been excellent at online stuff. Let's see.

Also about your first point. I kind of agree. Once we have 1000-1200 pokemon, would we still expect to have every one in the game? Especially in a new generation on a new console? There has to come a time where they are going to have to select which mons to keep in which game.

Lastly, I don't mean to be rude or offensive but I'm genuinely curious, is it really necessary to have the same pokemon in every playthrough? Sure you cannot transfer your favourite pokemon to this game but a generation usually has 2-3 games. If not in one game, I'm sure you can play them in another. And they'll definitely not leave a pokemon out of generation completely. The only downside is that you'll have to wait a while. But since all games are/ will be compatible with home, it will always be available. Ofc having all pokemon in the game would be better, I'm just making the best of what we have.

I have to agree on the gym mechanics, that in the first trailer it leads people to speculate about more revolutionary mechanics.

I still wonder if they’ll implement tasks as the leak suggested, maybe also connected with sponsorships. It should be noted that the gym demo was clearly edited to cut trainers and Pokémon at least.

I've lost a good part of my hype about Raids cause they felt too slow in the threehouse
After seeing the gameplay, Max Raid Battles seem to me like the most boring and slow battle feature in any Pokémon game ever. Literally.

I can't believe someone may actually enjoy it, but to each their own, of course.

Last edited:
I'm also a bit concerned about the graphics in the wild area...while moving the quality decreases significantly. The textures are quite off (the mc and the beginning of the grass are the closest things you see but they are actually less definied than the grass in the middle, while the trees and the hills in the background are litterally almost undefinied). That dumb foggy effect they choose is litterally making the all thing looking worse than it already is...
Oh...and apparently Rotom will make the bike merge with the ground XD

I would never accept anybody but Game Freak creating the Pokémon creatures themselves. I just don't trust anybody but Game Freak to be able to create Pokémon that actually feel like Pokémon to me. So I wouldn't risk that aspect of the franchise being changed.

That said... I do think that Game Freak maybe should consider letting somebody else create the other aspects of their games (Region, Plot, features, side features, etc.) if they themselves don't feel like doing it anymore. Because I have to agree, they just do not feel as passionate about their games as they used to, imo.

I feel like Old Game Freak (Gen I to Gen V) used to create Pokémon games with the basic premise of "How do we make this game good?".

While Neo Game Freak's basic premise seems to have shifted to "How do we make this game surprising so people buy it?"

And I am honestly tired of them trying to surprise me. Because most of their surprises have been unpleasant for me personally. I would rather they give me what I want and expect, not something I don't want for the sake of surprise.

As long as the Pokémon remain Game Freak's exclusive responsibility, I think I could consider the possibility of someone else creating the bulk of the games.
They did fulfill a lot of wishes in the fandom, though. (An) open world (area), overworld Pokémon, random encounters also technically being overworld encounters, you just see an exclamation mark instead of the model, etc.

It's just that while they pleased cries for things that imo don't fit into the classic Pokémon series at all, they are dropping things that made Pokémon...well, Pokémon.

The games are more catering to casual players, newcomers and very probably competitive players (looking at how the cut out Pokémon are likely less viable ones anyway, and things like that) but not to collectors or fans with emotional attachment to their (old) Pokémon, and certainly not for people who liked Pokémon for being Pokémon.

Next game we drop turn-based combat as another surprise! (Not that likely, but well, you never know.)

Its really funny seeing all those insults and backlash towards Gamefreak, while in reality, we cannot blame them, we can only blame ourselves, the fans, since we expect to see a Pokemon Game every year, so whats stopping the developers for half-assing the game if we are gonna buy it anyways.

If Mega Evolution and Z-Moves being replaced was a mistranslation, that pretty much confirms that every Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution will be in the games (Which is fine with me, since it means i can transfer over my trusting Shiny Glalie), same with Pokemon who have exclusive Z-Moves.
I don't blame a kid for wanting ice cream for breakfast, I blame parents if they actually let their kid have ice cream for breakfast just because they cry loud enough for it.

After seeing the gameplay, Max Raid Battles seem to me like the most boring and slow battle feature in any Pokémon game ever.

I can't believe someone may actually enjoy it, but to each their own, of course.
I see it as one of those things that can be fun if you actually do it together with others while talking to them - basically, the conversation while it being the main source of entertainment.
But I'm not into raid battles in Pokémon either.

If Mega Evolution and Z-Moves being replaced was a mistranslation, that pretty much confirms that every Pokemon capable of Mega Evolution will be in the games (Which is fine with me, since it means i can transfer over my trusting Shiny Glalie), same with Pokemon who have exclusive Z-Moves.
Their goal is clearly to make us use Dynamax as much as possible, so I don't see why they'd go out of their way to include all those Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex (which they didn't do for all Megas in SM). The features might exist in the post-game, but I wouldn't expect much; Megas were banned in VGC 2017.

Oh by the way...since there was some confusion around It, the threehouse basically confirmed that random encounters are in the games only in the form of escamation point encounters. I know some people like random encounters but we can finally enter a cave without hating the zubat hordes. That's just to point out a good thing...

Oh by the way...since there was some confusion around It, the threehouse basically confirmed that random encounters are in the games only in the form of escamation point encounters. I know some people like random encounters but we can finally enter a cave without hating the zubat hordes. That's just to point out a good thing...
I wonder if lures from Lgpe would be coming back since overworld encounters are basically confirmed. I liked them.

Also hope not to see Zubat in this game. Give us Woobat or something.

Edit: I see that Grookey learns Uproar. It's connection with music and sound seems even more likely now.

I wonder if lures from Lgpe would be coming back since overworld encounters are basically confirmed. I liked them.

Also hope not to see Zubat in this game. Give us Woobat or something.

Edit: I see that Grookey learns Uproar. It's connection with music and sound seems even more likely now.
You know that's not gonna happen, right? These days when you are not sure you'll be in the dex I think a lot of pokemon would like to be part of the zubat/magikarp/pikachu lines. Those pokemon are always in the games, no matters what...

Edit: Apparently disappointed people are taking over the threehouse...

Last edited:
Apparently disappointed people are taking over the threehouse...
View attachment 119624
If that doesn't show a clear image of what the fans/fandom wants, I don't know what will.

(I'm saying that because the transfer matter was the only completely negative thing in that, and yet the votes swayed like that; even though there are thumbs down for other reasons in there, too.)

Yamper is bae. Electric is my fav type and it's so derpy. I hope it evolves twice like Shinx, but I kinda see it just evolving once (into the greyhound imaged in the announcement trailer).

Kinda sad that this place got steamrolled by the transfer controversy, because I'd love to speculate on how that leak is 100% confirmed to be real and accurate now (barring certain typos or misunderstandings in descriptions). Is it really Team Yell, or is it something that sounds like Yell? (Like Pamper and Yamper) stuff like that.

Yamper is bae. Electric is my fav type and it's so derpy. I hope it evolves twice like Shinx, but I kinda see it just evolving once (into the greyhound imaged in the announcement trailer).

Kinda sad that this place got steamrolled by the transfer controversy, because I'd love to speculate on how that leak is 100% confirmed to be real and accurate now (barring certain typos or misunderstandings in descriptions). Is it really Team Yell, or is it something that sounds like Yell? (Like Pamper and Yamper) stuff like that.
Other leaks confirm that it's indeed Team Yell

Other leaks confirm that it's indeed Team Yell
Oh right! Forgot the separate leak that mentioned it. So we know there is a rival named Marnie that this Team is supporting for some reason. There has to be a sinister reason... Maybe she will end up being a pawn in the plot? Or maybe she is evil herself? Either way, it's likely she takes the starter strong to yours and is actually strong. Ugh that will be a breath of fresh air if so.

Oh right! Forgot the separate leak that mentioned it. So we know there is a rival named Marnie that this Team is supporting for some reason. There has to be a sinister reason... Maybe she will end up being a pawn in the plot? Or maybe she is evil herself? Either way, it's likely she takes the starter strong to yours and is actually strong. Ugh that will be a breath of fresh air if so.
Team Yell was described as "well-meaning fans of Marnie," so I at least expect Marnie to be a snobbish celebrity of some sort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom