• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

View: https://youtu.be/TmWu-f6L0Mo?t=1608

Translation: At gamefreak we spend a lot of time thinking of what the best way of moving forward was, perserving all the quality of the different pokemon while also taking account the battle balance, all withing a limited development time so we don't keep fans waiting too long for every new entry. After a lot of discussion we decided to come to a new direction. What this means this means for SwSh, palyers will be able to able to transfer their pokemon from pokemon Home, only if they appear in the galar region pokedex. I'll talk more about the details in future opportunities such as media interviews, but I wanted to let you know today.

There’s no reason to believe that they simply don’t copy-paste the data... (as they’ve done for Key Items).
Seeing as it happened relatively effortlessly in USUM it can be avoided.

They’re also using the same models from the 3DS-era but with new textures if I’m not mistaken.

This is considering the models only. You also have to think about having to reprogram their stats and attacks, having to rebalance some Pokémon with distributions of new moves and abilities, tweaking stats and flavor data, changing evolution methods for Pokémon with exclusive criteria (ex. Feebas into Milotic), potentially creating new animations for attacks, and maybe even add new textures for the new Gigantomax feature (if that’s a real thing). Also, if SwSh are really in a new engine, they can’t just port data as cut-and-dryly as implied. It still takes plenty of programming to fit old models into a completely new system.

They may have a full team of programmers and stuff, but that’s still a lot of work.

The problem Gamefreak has created for themselfs is this: They cannot afford to not include the fan favorites and the popular in the next batch of games, which goes against their statement they are only gonna include Pokemon fitting for a region: For example: Braviary doesn't fit for example, since its based on the USA National Animal, so it would be weird to see it in any non-USA based region. Bounsweet is another one: It will be weird seeing it outside a tropical region. Seeing hose 2 lines already made their point moot imo.

@Cresselia92 I do agree that it’s a lot of work, but couldn’t that be handled by telling the audience that the Pokémon will be patched in later, and actually do it, rather than presenting parts of the roster as their new direction going forward?

I'd also have been a bit more understanding if they didn’t shove a common set of old (mostly) Kanto Pokémon into every Pokedex.

Boy this thread is going too fast for me to keep up now, I don't have enough time on my work breaks to read it anymore. =(

In regards to recent news-
Really don't like Impidimp.
Don't care for Yamper's design.
Love Nessa but can't put her in a pokeball.

And really disappointed by region-locked transfers. I was hyped for this game last week but now I think I might give it a pass.

The problem Gamefreak has created for themselfs is this: They cannot afford to not include the fan favorites and the popular in the next batch of games, which goes against their statement they are only gonna include Pokemon fitting for a region: For example: Braviary doesn't fit for example, since its based on the USA National Animal, so it would be weird to see it in any non-USA based region. Bounsweet is another one: It will be weird seeing it outside a tropical region. Seeing hose 2 lines already made their point moot imo.
Steenee is already confirmed to be a raid boss, so I think the bounsweet line is in

Are they, though?
I already posted the translation above and so far this "policy" was never made clear, just the decision made from it.

Starting to wish this controversy got its own thread and stayed contained in there. It's already gone far beyond anyone saying anything new, and quickly become people saying the same complaints over and over and the same possible paths forward over and over.

It's pointless cause there's nothing to complain over, they're clearly going to add the rest in later! But apparently nobody believes that and think GF is just dumb for some reason
Unless you have valuable insider information that we aren't aware of...

this is just your wishful thinking vs what Masuda actually said.

View: https://youtu.be/TmWu-f6L0Mo?t=1608

Translation: At gamefreak we spend a lot of time thinking of what the best way of moving forward was, perserving all the quality of the different pokemon while also taking account the battle balance, all withing a limited development time so we don't keep fans waiting too long for every new entry. After a lot of discussion we decided to come to a new direction. What this means this means for SwSh, palyers will be able to able to transfer their pokemon from pokemon Home, only if they appear in the galar region pokedex. I'll talk more about the details in future opportunities such as media interviews, but I wanted to let you know today.

And I told you what he said. and nothing says they're not
They still don’t mention that they’ll be added later, but mention a ‘new direction’ which is the exclusion of Pokemon.

Thinking that the Pokemon will be added later is still an assumption separate from official info.

@Cresselia92 I do agree that it’s a lot of work, but couldn’t that be handled by telling the audience that the Pokémon will be patched in later, and actually do it, rather than presenting parts of the roster as their new direction going forward?

I'd also have been a bit more understanding if they didn’t shove a common set of old (mostly) Kanto Pokémon into every Pokedex.

I’m going to assume that this is the case, and the whole drama stems from a case of terrible communication from GF’s part.

Because, honestly, they had made a huge deal about HOME connecting all games and had expressed many times about bringing forth old captures for the “grandchildren”. It would be quite counterproductive with this kind of limitations, which make me think that they’ll release the currently unfinished Pokémon as future “packs”. I just wish that GF clarified that for everybody’s sake.

I’m going to assume that this is the case, and the whole drama stems from a case of terrible communication from GF’s part.

Because, honestly, they had made a huge deal about HOME connecting all games and had expressed many times about bring forth old captures for the “grandchildren”. It would be quite counterproductive to this kind of limitations, which make me think that they’ll released the currently unfinished Pokémon as future “packs”. I just wish that GF clarified that for everybody’s sake.
A clarification is the only thing that can currently improve the situation...

And I told you what he said. and nothing says they're not

"You can't prove they'll never add the old Pokemon therefore they will add them"

Yeah, no. It's one thing being hopeful and another being delusional. We're all hoping they'll add the old Pokemon one way or another but so far everything seems to point towards that not happening.

Oof, that article really does make it sound like this is the new policy going forward, doesn't it...

I think we just have to get used to the idea that they won't be able to have every Pokemon in every game anymore... I really hate it, but I think I'm beginning to understand. I guess I look forward to seeing the improved animations and character that they put into the monsters they chose to include this time around- I'm still excited for the game, and I gotta remind myself that the situation isn't nearly as dire as it is with some of the other franchises I care about. I've been a huge Neopets fan since childhood, and the website got bought out in 2014 and all but one of the original staff members who cared and were invested in the site and lore were fired and replaced with underpaid and overworked staff from overseas. The site has been experiencing what feels like a slow death of low quality and broken features ever since.

At least none of the Pokemon that aren't included are being completely retconned, and the original staff who care about and understand the franchise are there, and the game itself looks like it has the potential to be really great. And hey, this'll keep me coming back to older entries of the franchise, haha- we'll always be able to go back and play our old favorite entries (with the exception of some online features), since they're physical cartridges and not hosted on a server somewhere that could be taken offline someday.

I would really like more details on Pokemon Home. Will it have minigames itself, sort of like Pokemon Ranch? Will it have a better organizational system than Bank? There's a lot of potential details that could make the situation better than it seems right now, so I'm going to try to accept the fact that the large complete Pokedex isn't as easy to keep dealing with as I believed it was. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom