• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly with this much of an outcry just a day or so after they announced what they said, I think a solution will come much sooner rather than later. Every time Nintendo or Pokemon posts anything to Twitter right now, literally every single Tweet in every thread is #BringBackTheNationalDex.

Honestly with this much of an outcry just a day or so after they announced what they said, I think a solution will come much sooner rather than later. Every time Nintendo or Pokemon posts anything to Twitter right now, literally every single Tweet in every thread is #BringBackTheNationalDex.

A good analysis that can be useful in particular to understand how D-moves work (it's in italian, I translated below the D-moves analysis):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMziLzHWRLY

Fire/Water/Ice/Rock: bring Sun/Rain/Hail/Sandstorm
Psychic/Fairy/Electric/Grass: bring the 4 terrains
5 of the other types: decrease one of the 5 stats of the target (not the hp). (Among these: Normal and Dark, which decrease speed and sp.def respectively)
5 remaining types: increase one of the stats of your pokemon (or both of your pokemon if you have more than one). (not the hp). (Steel increase Defense of all your pokemon).

Apparently D-moves are single target moves, don't require any held item and are nerfed versions of z-moves. Razor leaf (55bp) when dynamaxed has 110bp while Gale wings (120bp) when dynamaxed has only 140 bp. Apparently the bp of D-moves is around 100-150 (depending on the bp of each move). The D-move is physical or special depending on the move you dynamaxed (as it was for z-moves).

Max Guard: protect your pokemon (just the one that uses it).

YEah, he was the one I was referencing early for waiting about the hands-on, and the one I referenced about the Dynamoves’ effects.

He also did a Q&A later on, and he talking about the issue people had with graphics in the treehouse demo. He said that the gym demo looked far better then the treehouse one (aside of the battle screen in the puzzle part of the gym, which I hope it’s a place holder). Maybe they still have to work on the Wild Area in terms of graphic fidelity.

Here is my guess on returning pokemon.
Pink are the ones confirmed.
Green ones are more likely to return
Orange ones are legendary/ultra beast which i don't think they will be included at all
Blue are the ones who i don't think will return.
I made my guesses according to popularity of a pokemon, The ones GF loves, the ones appear almost all games, counter parts, special one ( like psudo-legendary )
I don't have any idea about black ones. They could be in or out. Fossils are black too cuz i don't know which will be selected but i am sure few will be selected.

Last edited:
YEah, he was the one I was referencing early for waiting about the hands-on, and the one I referenced about the Dynamoves’ effects.

He also did a Q&A later on, and he talking about the issue people had with graphics in the treehouse demo. He said that the gym demo looked far better then the treehouse one (aside of the battle screen in the puzzle part of the gym, which I hope it’s a place holder). Maybe they still have to work on the Wild Area in terms of graphic fidelity.
Oh sorry, didn't see your post.

Just something I must say...

I think the Dex-it controversy is also fueled a lot by the gameplay not changing much mechanically over the decades, and the ways Game Freak tried to combat the staleness was sadly repetitive this time. Dynamax doesn't feel like a new mechanic, but instead a reiteration of Mega's and Z-Moves - and ends up feeling stale instead of "fresh" as a result. This cuts down the hype about the actual gameplay, as all the experienced fans anticipate it will stay heavily familiar, as it always has been.

Once the battle gameplay goes down in hype, the main thing left that really brings players together is the pokemon designs themselves. Pokemon favorites and combinations are so fun for many people to think up, to make the dream team into being. It is similar to character customization - where people get to play as who they wish to be. Such designs are are super powerful to a point of making people endure the repetitive gameplay - and even starting anew multiple times just to make new dream teams and headcanons.

Once game freak messed with this, it struck a nerve, as the battle gameplay remained its stale same old self, and the design part was given a strict limit.

I personally wouldn't have minded the Dex-it at all if they added something truly new and revolutionary to the gameplay - One that would justify the permanent removal of pokemon designs in exchange. Otherwise, it's an obvious regression.

edit: Grammar/Spelling

Last edited:
Would be crazy if this was gamefreaks idea of rebooting Pokémon. Like all Pokémon eventually return but as regional variants XD.

Or they could, in canon, say some Pokémon went extinct.

Edit: Then maybe Pokémon that no longer exist are a commodity. Getting people to play old games just to catch it for an in game Pokémon Home reward.

Would be crazy if this was gamefreaks idea of rebooting Pokémon. Like all Pokémon eventually return but as regional variants XD.

Or they could, in canon, say some Pokémon went extinct.
I’m pretty certain they wouldn’t do the latter. The backlash is already big enough now, but that decision would put the reaction through another scale.

Because the models were HD-proofed. The quality was too much for the 3ds to handle. It has nothing to do with the number.

Fair enough.

A 32 gb card isn’t going to make the games 80$. Nintendo would just eat up the extra cost and still price the games 60$

This isn’t quite how businesses work. You don’t see phone or other electronic devices companies “eating up” the extra costs and selling 64 Gb and 128 Gb stuff at the same price. Most of the time, they hardly have differences in terms of hardware, just bigger memories, but that extra memory still costs.

This isn’t even about the extra memory itself, but all the coding and programming it would need to fill it with more content. And that still requires days, if not weeks or months, of work. Something that GF, for a reason or another, can’t afford (most likely because of deadlines and for “greedy” reasons, if we could say that). Heck, do we even know how much it actually costs to program all that stuff in a cartridge?

The quality of animations in Sword/Shield is hardly better than the 3ds games. You think dropping hundreds of Pokemon was supposed to improve them?

…The E3 showed a demo, an unfinished product. They seriously need to improve on stuff, I can agree on that, but this is why they have five or so extra months to seriously try to fix the remaining issues. If they can’t do that, I can concede that they bit more than they could chew.

We get it. You don’t care hundreds of Pokemon won’t be transferable, that’s fine. You don’t have to do mental gymnastics to justify it.

I’m trying to look at the whole picture, rather than sticking to the “Pokémon aren’t transferable because reasons!” part.

All the more power for people if Game Freak finds a solution to bring back the older Pokémon, I would be really happy for the completionists, competitive players and all the likes. I just wish people looked at the situation with a more open mind, rather than being all angry and peeved because their favorites may or may not be in. Not saying that people shouldn’t be angry, everyone has the rights to be angry, but try to think about the why of the situation as well and what forced GF into this situation (especially considering that Masuda seemed reluctant about this decision, he may be angry about this decision as everyone).

Besides, nobody knows what GF has to deal with from behind the scenes, we all can only assume.

it is fairly obvious that importing all Pokémon would imply tons of lags and/or sacrificing other elements of the game, like quality of the animations,
There is a Twitter video making rounds that shows a Scorbunny using Double Kick on a Bunnelby. The Scorbunny doesn't even move as the attack is used.

So no, I'd say the battle animations don't have much quality to begin with.

when we're talking about lag i realize most are talking about 3ds stuff but the only pokemon game ive had lag issues with is pokemon lets go when there are tons of overworld pokemon (viridian forest)
as such i expect the wild area to have some lag at some points (i mostly play handheld)

when we're talking about lag i realize most are talking about 3ds stuff but the only pokemon game ive had lag issues with is pokemon lets go when there are tons of overworld pokemon (viridian forest)
as such i expect the wild area to have some lag at some points (i mostly play handheld)
Do you have an Old 3DS or a New 3DS? Because I have lag during battles with my Old 3DS in both pairs of Gen VII games.

It's the exact same as the 3DS games in that department.
It is. I'm not saying it isn't.

But here you have GF talking about making sacrifices in order to "improve" the quality and presentation of the game, when really it is just mostly of the same. @Lanstar made an especially good point about it.

Someone made a counter-post to the previous BS post:
i mean, the op of the original post already explained that numbers wouldn't directly match-- compression. which, yeah, with compression there shouldn't be any huge barriers to size, but the more you compress something and the more that compressed something is used, the more performance issues you will run into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom