• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't wanna play the Devil's advocate nor I think cutting off Pokémon is excusable or good but most of you fail to realize Game Freak had the same development time for Sword and Shield than for a 3DS game.

It's stupidly easy to sit down on a chair in front of your computer harrasing developers instead of thinking why they had to do that in the first place. I'm pretty sure nobody on Game Freak wanted to do this.

The "animation work and balance issues" is just PR talking. Something had to be said and they just went with that stupid excuse. What else Game Freak could say? "Ah yes we're cutting Pokémon because we're literally forced to bake out a new generation every three years due to the brand popularity and because most of our fans couldn't imagine a 2018 without a game nor 2019 without another so yeah please understand"? lol

"They have a lot of money!!!" this thing is totally bullshit.
Pokémon, indeed, makes a ton of money, but we don't know how much of that money goes into Game Freak's pocket. Remember Pokémon IP is divided between Nintendo, TPC and GF/Creatures. Pokémon GO and merchandise in general generate much more money than the main games themselves.

"Then hire more people!!!" yes, and they've been hiring more people in the recent years. You can't just open a jar and spit out 300 developers.
Also, sometimes hiring more people is rather problematic than helpful. They clearly need to outsource a bit more, yeah.

To resume: no, I'm not saying the backslash is wrong — it needs to be done. We have a reason to be angry, but show it on a more human manner. Be angry, but understand why they have to do that and wonder if they will be able to fix this shit in the future. We are talking about a game that literally can't be delayed because that will literally make everything that works around it to tear apart.

That's like my two cents tho.

I have thought in the past that GF should have taken 4 years to develop Gen 8. We saw they struggled with XY because it was on the 3DS so imagine them developing a Pokémon game for a console, something they arenew to. I would prefer a longer development period over having another XY.

Eh... I don't think that it's really too big for them to control, it's more a matter that they have to make plans to alter their schedule well in advance so that the other branches of the franchise can compensate. This dex thing also came from the assumption that fans would rather not wait for games, so they chugged ahead with a solution that would allow them to release within that assumed desired timeframe. I feel that this outcry that resulted may cause them to alter their plans, so I honestly do expect some positive changes to happen going forward, even if one of those changes means that a generation lasts for 5 years instead of 3.

But at the same time, fans are impatient. Which is why GF should start making DLC.

I have thought in the past that GF should have taken 4 years to develop Gen 8. We saw they struggled with XY because it was on the 3DS so imagine them developing a Pokémon game for a console, something they arenew to. I would prefer a longer development period over having another XY.
Currently, XY looks better than SwSh, to me:
  • better looking Region (Kalos)
  • much better battle gimmick (Mega Evolution)
  • no Pokédex transfer restriction
On the other hand, I do think SwSh will almost surely have a way better soundtrack than XY. But I don't need to buy a Switch and a 60$ game to listen to its soundtrack: I can just do that on YouTube...

Needless to say, SwSh still has plenty of time to change my mind.

Last edited:
Keep in mind there's still around four months for them to develop the game. It could be that they haven't finished the animations for all the Pokemon yet - in the E3 demo, Ludicolo was hopping up and down but the rest of the Pokemon had the swaying idle positions from XY.

On the other hand, I do think SwSh will almost surely have a way better soundtrack than XY. But I don't need to buy a Switch and a 60$ game to listen to its soundtrack: I can just do that on YouTube...

I did find XY was incomplete. It seems they spent some much time on graphics they didn't have time to finish some other stuff. And the story wasn't good.

I did find XY was incomplete. It seems they spent some much time on graphics they didn't have time to finish some other stuff. And the story wasn't good.
I am not a fan of XY (mainly due to the awful soundtrack and boring NPC's), but XY is still my favourite initial pair of games.

XY definitely doesn't feel incomplete, imo. It's actually the initial pair with the most content. And the only initial pair not rendered obsolete by a third version or sequel.

What exactly do people find "incomplete" about XY? Because I think this is some kind of meme.

Last edited:

IMO, Kalos/XY has aged absolutely horribly. Gen 4/5 have aged infinitely better.

I am not a fan of XY (mainly due to the awful soundtrack and boring NPC's), but XY is still my favourite initial pair of games.

XY definitely doesn't feel incomplete, imo. It's actually the initial pair with the most content.

What exactly do people find "incomplete" about XY? Because I think this is some kind of meme.
Stuff like a lot of the Kalos power plant being inaccessible (with random unusable doors). The train station they did nothing with. The barren postgame compared to generations past.
edit: and of course, finding Zygarde in a random cave.

IMO, Kalos/XY has aged absolutely horribly. Gen 4/5 have aged infinitely better.
You seem to be using the terms region - game - generation as synonyms, which they're not.

I am not defending Gen VI here: just XY in particular, in comparison to other initial pairs.

Stuff like a lot of the Kalos power plant being inaccessible (with random unusable doors). The train station they did nothing with. The barren postgame compared to generations past.
edit: and of course, finding Zygarde in a random cave.
1. The Kalos Powerplant doors were probably just there to slow you down and make it more difficult to find the correct door you had to enter.

2. The description of Couriway already explains what is the purpose of the train station. "People come from all around Kalos to admire the waterfalls". That's literally it.

3. What do you mean Zygarde being in a random cave? Kyurem was also in a cave in BW1. Same with Mewtwo in Gen I.

4. I would say XY has more content than every other initial pair, not less: Battle Chateau (including Gym Leader rematches!), Battle Restaurants, Battle Institute, Battle Maison, Pokémon Amie (with minigames, unlike Refresh) Super Training, PR Videos, daily jobs at the Lumiose Hotel, the best postgame Episode (Looker's Bureau), etc...

It seems to me most of your problems with XY literally amount to "I wanted Pokémon Z".

Last edited:
The only pokemon game I didn't really like much was Diamond (almost stopped playing pokemon altogether after disappointment from that game)...and yet I still completed it 2-3 times.

Emerald is one of my favorite games of all time, but I still love ORAS and am currently replaying Alpha Sapphire.

I might just be too easy to please though.
Replace Diamond with X and you have my situation, too. I think the whole Emerald issue never affected me because I didn't care that much about the Battle Frontier.

That's because Gen III, IV and V are the best.

I am not defending Gen VI here: just XY in particular, in comparison to other initial pairs.

XY is still totally lacking compared to third versions, but that's not a fair comparison. Compared to other initial pairs, I think it's the best one.

1. The Kalos Powerplant doors were probably just their to slow you down, and make it more difficult to find the correct door you had to enter.

2. The Couriway Train Station is completely unnecessary, but that doesn't mean it was meant to be something... It was probably there for the looks.

3. What do you mean Zygarde being in a random cave? Kyurem was also in a cave in BW1. Same with Mewtwo in Gen I.

4. I would say XY has more content than every other initial pair.

It seems to me most of your problems with XY literally amount to "I wanted Pokémon Z". And it really isn't XY's problem whether GF decide to make Z or not.
More content isnt always better. Sure, Kalos had a huge regional dex, but it made Kalos feel like a theme park and really drowned out whatever new pokemon that were there (which was already small in number). Games like Platinum and BW2 had a near perfect balance of old and new. This, was just way too heavily biased towards the pokemon we already knew.

They had plans to do something for Zygarde, but didnt do to it to rush the game out for holiday. Then Zygarde full form was just wierdly handed out to you in Sun/Moon. These are incomplete games and an incomplete generation. The story (or whatever of it was left) felt rushed, unlike BW1.

At least Game Freak did something with Kyurem, gave it it's own game. Zygarde didnt get anything.

Keep in mind there's still around four months for them to develop the game. It could be that they haven't finished the animations for all the Pokemon yet - in the E3 demo, Ludicolo was hopping up and down but the rest of the Pokemon had the swaying idle positions from XY.

Do you know where in the e3 demo ludicolo was, because I don't remember seeing it. Also, hasn't ludicolos animation always been hopping up and down since x and y?

Edit: just found it. Ludicolo's animation is the same as in x and y

Last edited:
Btw, I think we missed some pokemon in treehouse. I think I saw a Tynamo as well as a Vanillux

Vanillite line was already confirmed on serebi before the treeshouse, but I don't believe I saw a tynamo. Was it the wild area demo that you saw them in?

It’s ironic and sad where when we have a good Pokémon game, we would also have a bad Pokémon anime arc to coincide with it. Gen 5 game is better than anime arc, Gen 6 anime arc is better than game.

More content isnt always better.
And "better" is subjective so...
Games like Platinum and BW2 had a near perfect balance of old and new.
Why do you keep comparing XY with clearly superior Third Versions/Sequels? I am only comparing XY with RGB, GS, RS, DP, BW1 and SM...
They had plans to do something for Zygarde, but didnt do to it to rush the game out for holiday.
No. They probably had plans to do something with Zygarde in the hypothetical Z. Not in XY. They never do anything with third legendaries in the initial pair. XY is not an exception.
Then Zygarde full form was just wierdly handed out to you in Sun/Moon.
I agree!
These are incomplete games and an incomplete generation.
Incomplete generation, yes. Incomplete games... not really.
The story (or whatever of it was left) felt rushed, unlike BW1.
Yeah, XY has the weakest plot, imo. But the plot is something I don't really care about, in Pokémon.
At least Game Freak did something with Kyurem, gave it it's own game. Zygarde didnt get anything
Again, that's not XY's problem. It's a problem of the lack of Pokémon Z, which is not an issue you should retrospectively hold XY accountable for.

The problem here seems to be that you are comparing XY with entire generations, including their third versions, which is obviously unfair.

All I am saying is that XY is better than other initial pairs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom