• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1539871360026.jpg

Haha, I don't know
Why did Masuda never invest in braces? He's such a handsome guy, but his teeth are FUCKED.

Edit:
View: https://youtu.be/i9hsWN4ok8k

The music for these games is FIRE

@Meta Boss : it’s a matter of perspective, and how much a person value certain aspect of the game.

I do prefer BW to XY. While I can understand why you wouldn’t play Pokémon for the story, it is a component of the game, and give how far better I found it compared to the other games (and how weak I found XY’s), I give a large edge on it to BW. Same goes for difficulty, region and music. I think XY is better in the postgame, having Megas, as well as having more Pokémon catchable; howewer, I didn’t mind BW’s approach in having a large, only-new pool of Pokémon before the postgame: the variety of Pokémon you can find before the postgame, while not perfect, was better then DP for me (the worse in that regard) and in terms of new Pokémon, I prefer BW to XY (although BW has ironically the worst starter trio for me).

So, who wants to speculate final form starter stats? Using the stats we got from the demo I came up with some ideas

Scorbunny: 75 /130 /65 /65 /65 /130
Sobble: 75 /65 /65 /130 /65 /130
Grookey: 75 /131 /90 /65 /80 /90
Well if we have to speculate, according to the stats we have seen in the demo, those are the HP all of them have on the first stage...
Looking at those stats I predict:

Scorbunny: 120 /130 /55 /55 /60 /110
Sobble: 120 /55 /60 /130 /55 /110
Grookey: 120 /90 /100 /55 /85 /80

But considering that imo Sobble and Scorbunny are to frail to have 75 base hp on their first stage and that there's no way Sobble is faster than Scorbunny, considering how speed is a major trait of this fire starter, I would say that either the stats we saw are fake or they will change upon evolutions. So, if I have to look at them and think of their final stats, I would say:

Scorbunny: 80 /110 /70 /60 /80 /130
Sobble: 80 /60 /70 /130 /80 /110
Grookey: 100 /100 /110 /60 /90 /70

I kept a low stat (60) in one of their attacks even if no starter has ever had one of the attacks stats so low, but maybe GF finally understood there's no need to boost both the attacks if one of them is unuseful anyway...

I still have not been able to push myself to play Black and White personally. It's mostly on the case of money, and not wanting to have to buy a game that I might not enjoy. It took a while to push myself through BW2, mostly just because I was not that interested in the story. This was also years ago.

I personally don't mind Pokemon's more simplistic stories, and even sometimes find they have a lot of charm too them. I feel like the more complicated ones also can be pretty good, but if I am not interested in the pretty complicated ones, which is the case on how I feel with BW and BW2s, I just don't get into it.

I hope I get the same feeling playing SwSh's story as I get when playing SMs story. Not that I want the story itself to be the same or even similar, but I really felt attached to some of the characters the story involved, making me want to play through the story even more. So I hope SwSh really pushes that character development throughout the game, making me want to fight through that big climax at the end.

Well if we have to speculate, according to the stats we have seen in the demo, those are the HP all of them have on the first stage...
Looking at those stats I predict:

Scorbunny: 120 /130 /55 /55 /60 /110
Sobble: 120 /55 /60 /130 /55 /110
Grookey: 120 /90 /100 /55 /85 /80

But considering that imo Sobble and Scorbunny are to frail to have 75 base hp on their first stage and that there's no way Sobble is faster than Scorbunny, considering how speed is a major trait of this fire starter, I would say that either the stats we saw are fake or they will change upon evolutions. So, if I have to look at them and think of their final stats, I would say:

Scorbunny: 80 /110 /70 /60 /80 /130
Sobble: 80 /60 /70 /130 /80 /110
Grookey: 100 /100 /110 /60 /90 /70

I kept a low stat (60) in one of their attacks even if no starter has ever had one of the attacks stats so low, but maybe GF finally understood there's no need to boost both the attacks if one of them is unuseful anyway...
Grookey sounds like a Grass Incineroar. While Scorbunny and Sobble seem like definite sweeper material

Last edited:
Grookey sounds like a Grass Incineroar
Not exactly. It would be a bit faster, way bulkier on defense and physically oriented (but not as strong). I would say slightly better than Incineroar for a defensive pokemon, considering the only special move Inci uses is snarl (and not really to make damage, just for a sp.att drop). Compare them:

Incineroar: 95/115/90/80/90/60
Grookey: 100/100/110/60/90/70

The problem is that grass is not that good as a defensive type, the only real good combos for a defensive pokemon are grass/rock and grass/steel. It would have leech seed though...

When I was younger I thought people hated it.

It was always mixed I'd say, even back when it first released you had some fans who would gladly call it their favorite games while others would slam it as one of the worst things Pokemon has ever made. Its reception has gotten better as time has gone on, but it's still always going to have some contention over it since it did take a different approach to how it wanted to handle its single player.

As for XY, having played it again I feel what makes it feel incomplete for a lot of fans is that it feels rushed after a certain point. After the third Gym, you lose focus on the more interesting Mega Evolution subplot for the much less interesting Team Flare, Team Flare (and everything related to them like AZ and the Legendaries) itself is poorly characterized and paced, the characters are either just there for specific NPC roles like the Gym Leaders or get jumbled together like the Rivals, and the feeling of adventure that was there for things like the stretch between the first and second gym gets lost. It feels like the game had a clear idea for what it wanted to be in the beginning, but then lost track as it ran out of time, so it ends up feeling lacking in some respects. The only thing that felt like it kept focus was the Looker Sidequest, which is a great post-game episode that probably benefitted from its storyline being less large in scope then the rest of the game.

As for side content, there is a good amount to do in the games (though I'd argue if it's the best of the initial pairs), but one flaw I will note is that all of it circles around the aspect of battling and catching which can get monotonous as that's what you've spent the entire game doing beforehand. There's nothing as in depth like Contests or the Underground to break up the constant battling and give you minigames or side modes to mess around and have fun with. Even in terms of the battling none of the modes I'd say mix it up to make it stand out or feel unique from the rest of the game, the closest is Sky Battles and that was complete wasted potential due to its handling. Something unique in its side content would've done wonders for XY, it just lacked a nice feature to come back to, at least for me.

Speaking about stats, I have a feeling this could be the gen where GF will remake a lot of past gen pokemon stats to make a lot of pokemon competitive.

Wouldn't it be interesting if GF made all mega pokemon's abilities their normal abilities? Like Mawile would get an attack and speed boost and normally has huge power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom