• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really applaud game freak on how true to life their games maybe making the most racist pokemon game ever and basing its region on one of the racist country in the world.
um....
what?

Nah im not talking about Nessa Im talking about how racist it is to cut half of the pokemon from getting to the region. Didnt even know about the nessa thing really
again...what
pokemon are not people....they don't even have races
is this satire I'm not getting?

alternatively maybe this person isn't a first-language english speaker and thinks "racist" means something else?

Last edited:
At this point we degenerated from "Home is the worst thing" to "Nessa is racist". What the hell?
I just wanted to say that the thread loaded up with this post and didn't show me the discussions first. So when I saw this, I thought Game Freak released something that showed Nessa was a racist. That would have been a... bold direction for her character, for sure.

Ignoring the everything going on in this chat, I have to say that I really like Nessa. Some of the humans designs so far have been really weird - either they don't fit the traditional design conventions for this franchise (Milo), or are horrible fashion disasters (Leon, though Hop has really bad hair.) I don't mind experimenting with styles on principal, since characters like Cilan and Valerie turned out well. But yeah, Galar has some uggos.

Based on looks alone, Nessa's really pretty and feels like a Pokemon character. My only real complaint is that she has those ugly fucking shoes. I've gone about this before, but why is his franchise hellbent on making hideous shoes after ORAS?

Based on looks alone, Nessa's really pretty and feels like a Pokemon character. My only real complaint is that she has those ugly fucking shoes. I've gone about this before, but why is his franchise hellbent on making hideous shoes after ORAS?
Honestly, if I saw those shoes in a store, I'd buy them. I think they look kind of cool, and I'd want to try how it feels to walk in the (shallow) water on a beach with them, since they have these small floating rings on the sides. Although, yep, she's wearing a bikini, she's probably a swimmer and she uses Water types.
If you had a Water type gym, where you use Water type moves that might get your clothes wet, swimwear is definitely smarter than plain normal clothes you gotta change after every battle. Also can go for a swim while waiting for challengers, drive the point home that you're a Water type gym leader and let's be fair, since apparently viewers of the gym battles matter here, you gotta please the crowd, too, so that might factor a bit into it, too

Yes, I don't think people realize how different delaying a Pokemon game is from delaying something like Animal Crossing, Metroid, or Bayonetta. The TCG is a really big factor to keep in mind too. The first Sword and Shield set will drop in December, as usual, with a new mechanic to shake up the TCG.

The thing about asking for a delay in the future is that GF has actually spent a lot of time on Sword and Shield. LGPE gave them extra time to work on some ambitious features for Sword and Shield. Just because they chose to exclude some Pokemon doesn't mean they need more time for future games. GF even said there was more weighing in on that decision than time and resources. They're thinking about the future too, as it only becomes more difficult to manage and balance a huge number of Pokemon. Unless there's also an issue with polish or a lack of content and interesting features, and Sword and Shield seem like they have both in spades (so far), I personally don't think the argument that future games need more time holds much water.
As far as my own argument goes, this isn't just about "oh, they cut Pokemon". This is about them having made such cuts in order to make way for "better graphics and gameplay", as they stated, and then they showed up at E3 with model pop-in, sliding and pivoting models, and re-used animations from 2013, 5 months from release. From what they have presented, the cuts they made for the reasons they stated were for nothing. This isn't a blanket issue of "muh pogeys". It's what the cut entails about the rest of the production. This game had sacrifices made just to make it stay on par with the 3DS games from what I have been seeing of these press releases, and now I am expected to pay extra money for it, to which many others are welcome to do, but for me, I say no. This game needed more time, and so do future ones.

If they spent a lot of time on it, I'm glad you see that, but I don't, and that's not a condemnation. It just seems like they had more work on them than they realized they could handle with this new console, and it shows. I'll even give them the benefit by saying that the cutting of Megas and Z-Moves and merging them into Dynamax streamlined the "power-up" tier of mechanics.

I'll agree to disagree about Pokemon not being able to be all in one game, because the points for and against it have been belabored many times in this thread. I say it's possible, especially if they cut those redundant gendered forms.

They can't keep pushing out yearly releases like clockwork, repeating the same gym and act structure, having the same average game experience year after year, then cut content on top of that, and have people pay extra for the pleasure. They need more time, and a restructuring of how they design, balance, and code. And for heaven's sake, they need to commit to a mechanic and refine it instead of starting and stopping mechanics with impunity. Megas, Z-Moves, seasons, Furfrou/Sawsbuck/etc., time based encounters, following Pokemon, and so on.

They may have a lot of peripheral material riding on the game's release, but that doesn't magically make it ok, or erase everything I mentioned. Sonic the Hedgehog went downhill for the same reasons. It was popular, and the devs were under pressure to crank out more games in a format they weren't familiar with. Suddenly Sonic-R, and the series took forever to recover from the loss of momentum. Merch/peripheral push does not excuse the flaws of a game.

I'd like to trust that GF will expand SwSh beyond the scope of the 3DS games as they said, but they haven't been able to be trusted when it comes to that for about 3 generations now, so I'm skeptical right off the bat. I haven't seen anything in these games that sells me on this being a more immersive, bigger scale experience. I see the big, flat Wild Area and the return of a multiplayer feature they cut from gen 6. (Raid battles are cute, but I'm not a multiplayer person. I'm looking for more depth to the story and single player.)

I'm guessing he was meant to evoke Blue, Red, and Lance, three other Pokemon Champions that also used Charizard.

I know Charizard is popular and all, but it really needs to take a break.

Leon would probably have mostly Galar pokemon, and most likely the regional pseudo-legendary, but they should have made him show up with something new or no pokemon at all.
This leads back to 2 points, that Charizard is actually a good representation for this region as a welsh dragon, and that Charizard will have a new form, just like how Diantha had a Gardevoir, but can turn mega to make up for it not being a new pokemon.

In a region based on Britain, there should be no shortage of many other dragons to pick from.

Also, this is what a Welsh dragon looks like:

220px-Welsh_Dragon_%28Y_Ddraig_Goch%29.svg.png

Charizard doesn't exactly scream "Welsh dragon" to me.

um....
what?

again...what
pokemon are not people....they don't even have races
is this satire I'm not getting?

alternatively maybe this person isn't a first-language english speaker and thinks "racist" means something else?
I think it's a joke that the Britain-based region being the first region to exclude Pokemon in its game is similar to some of the attitudes some British people express towards foreign people, especially in the wake of Brexit. Xenophobia would've probably been more clear.

In a region based on Britain, there should be no shortage of many other dragons to pick from.

Also, this is what a Welsh dragon looks like:

220px-Welsh_Dragon_%28Y_Ddraig_Goch%29.svg.png

Charizard doesn't exactly scream "Welsh dragon" to me.
Yeah, but out of the current selection of dragons, it is the closest to being one. And if Gen 6 is any indication, then the Gigantamax mechanic will be limited to only one of the Gen 8 pokemon while the rest will go to past gens. So out of everything we've got, Charizard does make the most sense. Doesn't really need any more new forms after disproportionately getting two, but it makes the most sense.

I don't know about you, but when I think of a Pokemon closest to a Welsh dragon, I think of Druddigon.

Charizard has more in common with Japanese kaiju monsters than actual European dragons. And even then, that doesn't mean that GF couldn't have just designed a new Dragon-type anyway. They only chose Charizard for its immense popularity.

Instead of recycling Charizard, I would rather that Game Freak designed a dragon Pokemon that resembles how dragons are depicted in European/English lore. Also, I would want this hypothetical dragon to be single-stage, it would be nice if the regional pseudo-legendary mon is something besides a dragon.

I do hope these mon are in the Galar Dex:
-Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite
-Gibble/Gabbite/Garchomp
-Noibat/Noivern

Shifting gears..

I've thought more about it, and I think that the limitation of Pokemon allowed in the game and dynamax are the only two things I really don't care about. I know I said this before, but I just can't get over how dumb dynamax looks (the pokeball thing that is done when dynamaxing just looks childish to me). And with the limiting of Pokemon allowed in SwSh being transferred from older games, Game Freak better be loading the game full of areas to explore or things to do.

The bright side of z-moves and ME being left out of the game, Game Freak has given some value back to held items in battle. I kinda want the exp share to go back to being something that is a held item versus what it is in Gen VI and Gen VII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom