• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I didn't post in here for a bit and I see that few people are still defending GameFreak's decisions on cutting some Pokemon out, using xxx arguments... so basically nothing new, lol.

Like I said in one of my previous posts, many fans aren't just going to let it go after a week or month as it's the last straw for them, basically. That's good too though because they will continue to fight/push until GameFreak actually starts listening to us, there's still a huge backlash/outrage going on ALL over the internet such as reddit, FaceBook, Twitter, etc even though it's almost a week now, lol. I am aware that we still do have Pokemon Home where any and all Pokemon would be able to be transferred to but that's not the point. The point is that fans want to be able to use their Pokemon in a mainline game like Sword/Shield.

And one more thing, I really love how some of the people try to argue that 50k+ dislikes on the Pokemon Treehouse video isn't the "majority" when in fact, if you only take the population from the internet in the account, it is still the majority of the fans. Like what Oriden pointed out, the internet is a very good representative of how the fans feel about the decision of Pokemon being cut off.

Like with many other fans here, I won't be buying Sword/Shield due to the decisions that GameFreak made and it'll stay that way unless GameFreak smarten up and let everyone know they have a plan to include all Pokemon in. However, if you do really want to play Sword/Shield, you can wait for a week or two to get an used game so the money won't be going to GameFreak.

Oh, I get it.

You know what sucked about mega evolutions? The pokemon's HP did not go up. Well Dynamax is to change that.

Kind of like how when Kyogre -> Primal Kyogre, it's defense did not go up at all, so a Earthquake from a Groudon -> Primal Groudon could only get worse.

So I didn't post in here for a bit and I see that few people are still defending GameFreak's decisions on cutting some Pokemon out, using xxx arguments... so basically nothing new, lol.

Like I said in one of my previous posts, many fans aren't just going to let it go after a week or month as it's the last straw for them, basically. That's good too though because they will continue to fight/push until GameFreak actually starts listening to us, there's still a huge backlash/outrage going on ALL over the internet such as reddit, FaceBook, Twitter, etc even though it's almost a week now, lol. I am aware that we still do have Pokemon Home where any and all Pokemon would be able to be transferred to but that's not the point. The point is that fans want to be able to use their Pokemon in a mainline game like Sword/Shield.

And one more thing, I really love how some of the people try to argue that 50k+ dislikes on the Pokemon Treehouse video isn't the "majority" when in fact, if you only take the population from the internet in the account, it is still the majority of the fans. Like what Oriden pointed out, the internet is a very good representative of how the fans feel about the decision of Pokemon being cut off.

Like with many other fans here, I won't be buying Sword/Shield due to the decisions that GameFreak made and it'll stay that way unless GameFreak smarten up and let everyone know they have a plan to include all Pokemon in. However, if you do really want to play Sword/Shield, you can wait for a week or two to get an used game so the money won't be going to GameFreak.
Just for that. I'm buying the game full price day 1 along with a switch.

Last edited:
Famitsu Gang Interview with Masuda and Ohmori on Pokemon Home and the Reasons for not putting all Pokemon in Sword and Shield

I thought I would post this article here because it brings up a lot of good points. It mentions the reasons they have given for not including all Pokemon in the dex. The main 2 that this one mentions is needed more time for the graphics/animation and balancing. While the balancing reason is a little hard to see, and some have stated the graphics in these games still aren't the best they are a massive improvement from previous games. There has been an argument that Let's Go's are better, but Let's Go also had completely different models for everything, and the camera was basically always in that top-down perspective. While we haven't seen too much of the game yet, we can see enough to know that even in the not wild areas, the camera moves with the player, so you are always seeing different angles. They are having to do a lot more with the graphics and the models everywhere in the game. This takes up a lot of time for them.

The interview also mentions that even in Sun and Moon, they could hardly manage including all the Pokemon in, along with the new ones.
This decision they have made, as the interview states, is one that was going to have to be made sooner or later. 800+ Pokemon is just not manageable for one game anymore.

Could they delay the game? Sure, and then mess up all the other Pokemon related things they work with like the anime, TCG. Really, it's not a great decision to delay a game just because some Pokemon have been left out of it. And as mentioned before, this decision was going to have to be made sooner or later, as this problem will continue to happen with every future new game.

So while I have typed out a lot of old, already gone over news, let's look at parts of the interview that have stated relatively new things. These are features that have been speculated on, but I have not heard much from them.

"even if not in Pokemon Sword & Shield, Game Freak plans on making those Pokemon shine in future titles going forward,"
They do not want to get rid of every Pokemon. They want to make sure our Pokemon can be in future games, even if they aren't in Sword and Shield. It is not doomsday for Pokemon-kind. They still have a chance. Okay, they can't be in SwSh, but that doesn't mean you will never get to play with them again. It's not the perfect answer, but I am definitely happy for this answer.

Not only that, but they even mentioned on how they are thinking about adding some playability to Home, and even were coining the idea of letting you bring old Pokemon from Home to Spin-Off titles.

They are clearly trying for us. You can see how hard they are trying for us. Honestly at this point, with how much they are doing, it pushes even more how impossible it is to continue to support all Pokemon. They want to do as much as they can for us, but they know that they just can't continue to do that.

I for one, am really happy to see them trying. While I have been defending them and their decision this whole time basically, I do see that other side and just wonder "isn't there more they can do?" Well, now I have my answer. They could, but that is clearly not manageable and I think at some point, the quality of the games would start to go down of the games if they continued to try and support all the Pokemon. So they are talking about how they are going to try to continue to support all the Pokemon, even if it means they can't be in every game.

I just hate the graphics because the game doesn’t even have good graphics for switch game

Does Masuda play other video games or living in his own bubble

I just hate the graphics because the game doesn’t even have good graphics for switch game

Does Masuda play other video games or living in his own bubble
Real easy to say when you're not developing the game.

Big deal? The only thing your statement shows is that you're petulant and immature.

Happy clappers are the cancer in every fanbase.
Cause liking a game that you don't is a sin?

Yep, I'm still happy to buy both copies of this game Day 1. Just need to get some dates from the college I go to on when I'll be there so I don't have it preordered to the wrong store.

I love the improvement of the graphics and the Wild Area. These games are still going to be fun as heck. If I was more unsure about the games, maybe I would wait until I could get a used copy or a cheaper copy. But I think I already know I am going to enjoy the heck out of these games. And If I don't I'll sell one of the copies to a friend or something. But I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

I am still going to support GF so they can continue to push out amazing games.

So I can’t criticize the graphics because I’m not making game ?

Good logic lol. Grow thicker thin
You know guys like you come ito this thread after seeing all these calm reasonable people here only make me question if you're here to pick fights and cause trouble. If they're capable of expressing their opinions no quarrel then so should you.

Also Skin, you meant to say skin.

I’m not one of those posters who are telling others not to buy the game lol

I could care less. Do what makes you hapo
You know guys like you come ito this thread after seeing all these calm reasonable people here only make me question if you're here to pick fights and cause trouble. If they're capable of expressing their opinions no quarrel then so should you.
you quoted me saying it’s easy to say the graphics are bad because I don’t make games

Nobody on this site makes the games. Might as well have no dissuasion lol

Look I’m not the person who telling others not to buy games. Please do what you may please and I hope you enjoy the games

But please let others voice their opinions without trying to be smart ass about it lol

Why does Pokemon have to care to compare to other video games of the generation?
Because it’s a console game now. You can get away with it with handhelds but consoles the difference in graphics is much bigger

Also Masuda himself said graphics played a part in not having all the Pokemon in the game. The graphics aren’t even good lol

Because it’s a console game now. You can get away with it with handhelds but consoles the difference in graphics is much bigger

Also Masuda himself said graphics played a part in not having all the Pokemon in the game. The graphics aren’t even good lol
I don't know about you but the graphics are a definite jump from Sun and Moon, I mean sure it's no Dragon Quest, but that doesn't make em bad by far. At least to me

The interview also mentions that even in Sun and Moon, they could hardly manage including all the Pokemon in, along with the new ones.
All the more reason why they should have just waited until the Switch came out. One of the biggest problems I've had with all this was that Game Freak just kept releasing too many generations in a short span of time. If they had designed Sun and Moon for the Switch instead, I'm sure it would have benefited a lot more from that. We don't need a brand new generation every couple years on the same device. This is part of the reason why we've gotten to this point.

"even if not in Pokemon Sword & Shield, Game Freak plans on making those Pokemon shine in future titles going forward,"
They do not want to get rid of every Pokemon. They want to make sure our Pokemon can be in future games, even if they aren't in Sword and Shield. It is not doomsday for Pokemon-kind. They still have a chance. Okay, they can't be in SwSh, but that doesn't mean you will never get to play with them again. It's not the perfect answer, but I am definitely happy for this answer.
I mean, it's a little reassuring that they still want to give attention to those other Pokemon. Though that remains to actually be seen.

I'd add more but I'm really tired right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom