• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it’s a console game now. You can get away with it with handhelds but consoles the difference in graphics is much bigger

Also Masuda himself said graphics played a part in not having all the Pokemon in the game. The graphics aren’t even good lol
Heh. And I'm content with the graphics in X/Y Sun/Moon.

I don't know about you but the graphics are a definite jump from Sun and Moon, I mean sure it's no Dragon Quest, but that doesn't make em bad by far. At least to me
A 3ds has 240p resolution switch games can be 720p to 1080p

It was naturally gonna have better graphics that’s why handheld games cost 20 dollars less than console

I dont get that comparison lol

Heh. And I'm content with the graphics in X/Y Sun/Moon.
That’s fine. I hope you buy and enjoy the games man.

My point was the graphics are nowhere near any big Nintendo game on switch level.

But everyone has different standards and you have to respect it

That’s fine. I hope you buy and enjoy the games man.

My point was the graphics are nowhere near any big Nintendo game on switch level.

But everyone has different standards and you have to respect it
But why should standards be with games from other franchise?

If you compared how much better graphics Sw/Sh got from Sun/Moon, what would be the comparison?

You were sounding like you were expecting hyper realistic graphics or something.
Not at all and the only reason I’m bringing up graphics is because Masuda used it too dismiss having all Pokemon in game.

Sword and shield graphically is by far the worst looking game by first or second party developer of Nintendo that made a game for switch

I wouldn’t care about graphics if they had good features but culling all Pokemon and using graphics as excuses is stunning

Not at all and the only reason I’m bringing up graphics is because Masuda used it too dismiss having all Pokemon in game.

Sword and shield graphically is by far the worst looking game by first or second party developer of Nintendo that made a game for switch

I wouldn’t care about graphics if they had good features but culling all Pokemon and using graphics as excuses is stunning
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they have to essentially start new code with a new console. Just guessing.

But why should standards be with games from other franchise?

If you compared how much better graphics Sw/Sh got from Sun/Moon, what would be the comparison?
I don’t get this comparison

Sun and moon is a 3ds game a system with 240p resolution that cost 20 dollars cheaper than sword and shield

The switch can handle 720p to 10800 resolutions

It naturally will have better graphics being on a system with much higher power

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they have to essentially start new code with a new console. Just guessing.
Everyone who made the games on switch started with new code lol.

Mario oddsey isn’t using. Super Mario world 3D engine. Botw isn’t using skyward sword engine etc

I’m not one of those posters who are telling others not to buy the game lol

I could care less. Do what makes you hapo

you quoted me saying it’s easy to say the graphics are bad because I don’t make games

Nobody on this site makes the games. Might as well have no dissuasion lol

Look I’m not the person who telling others not to buy games. Please do what you may please and I hope you enjoy the games

But please let others voice their opinions without trying to be smart ass about it lol
Discussion.

But you're being rude, specifically by expressing your opinion in a rude and unnecessary manner, please stop.

All the more reason why they should have just waited until the Switch came out. One of the biggest problems I've had with all this was that Game Freak just kept releasing too many generations in a short span of time. If they had designed Sun and Moon for the Switch instead, I'm sure it would have benefited a lot more from that. We don't need a brand new generation every couple years on the same device. This is part of the reason why we've gotten to this point.

I mean, it's a little reassuring that they still want to give attention to those other Pokemon. Though that remains to actually be seen.

I'd add more but I'm really tired right now.
Both of these are fair points. Yes, they could have waited to put Sun and Moon on the Switch, and at that point, there is not as many old Pokemon to add in. but one of the core things they had to make this decision sooner or later. Even if this wasn't a problem now, it eventually would be. We don't know that for sure, but looking on how things have been going, I think this is a problem we would have faced eventually.

Yes, we don't know if they would eventually get to it. And it's just something that we will have to see in the future. Knowing them, I think we can expect to see a lot of the old favorites continue to return, but I think they will try hard to at least make sure that some of the old ones that were left out are put into the game. Only time will tell I guess.

Most so-called fans are not real fans at all. They hate just because that's what they do. They don't want to admit it, but they hate the very things they say they are a fan of.
I don't think those people hate Pokémon. I think they just suffer "passer's remorse". The opposite of "buyer's remorse".

Just like people with "buyer's remorse" regret spending money on a product, people with "passer's remorse" actually regret not buying a product (most likely, but not necessarily, because they can't afford it), and so they try to convince themselves the product isn't good.

That said, I do think most people who are criticising SwSh actually dislike the game.

Last edited:
The more time passes, the more I'm starting to accept the new course with Pokémon Home. While I was kinda disappointed at first, it's going to ruin the experience for me. Just because a few Pokémon are missing doesn't mean I can't enjoy the games. If my favorite (obscure) Pokémon don't make it in SwSh then there's always the next games. Maybe this'll get me to appreciate other Pokémon I never had a lot feelings for before, who knows.

Everyone can criticize these games all they want, what matters to me is how much fun I'll have. On this forum people have burned XY to the ground, but despite not being my favortie game it has brought me lots of fond memories and over 1600 hours of delightful gameplay. With the Switch's capacities and all the new features, I have good hopes SwSh will be the same. To be honest, I feel like people who let GF's decision to not include every Pokémon deter them from buying the games are already burned out with the core gameplay anyways.

Both of these are fair points. Yes, they could have waited to put Sun and Moon on the Switch, and at that point, there is not as many old Pokemon to add in. but one of the core things they had to make this decision sooner or later. Even if this wasn't a problem now, it eventually would be. We don't know that for sure, but looking on how things have been going, I think this is a problem we would have faced eventually.
Yes it would have still become a problem all the same. I've said as much before in another thread. This was the inevitable, and I knew even years ago that it would eventually come to this point. I'm frankly not even that bothered about Pokemon getting cut so much as I am disappointed with Game Freak's practices and design principles, but I certainly do understand and agree with the rage over the main issue.

I think we all should calm down here ._. This is the only place I have left where I can have a meaningful discussion. Also while on topic, I don't think I have seen anyone here actually push others to buy the game or to not buy. Most I have seen is people questioning whether boycotting is really necessary and people who think yes, saying so. Any problem I have with overeations are from other places like Reddit. Heck I have seen people say Gamefreak are worse than EA which makes no sense to me.

GF says you can do many things with your pokemon in Home. Home is just a storage for pokemon, i can't understand how will we interact with them. MY best guess is Home will be updated version of PokePelago. Collect beans/puff whatever, search for items, plant berries, level up your pokemon, maybe breed them ? Or maybe you can battle with others in a pixelated battle.

If you can REALLY interact with your pokemon in Home, that means Home will be better than actual main series games in a way because it contains all 809+ pokemon in it. I know there will be no story, no trainers, no wild battles but even then Home will be strong opponent.

Also take note GF did say SwSh would be handheld focused
If this is referred to the graphics, trust me, I watched the threehouse on handheld mode and you can clearly see the low quality of the graphics in some points: pixelated walls, frame rate drop, low res textures, and let's not talk about the animation of wingull, which looks like a marionette hanging by a thread.
This screenshot is taken from the official nintendo threehouse on their official youtube account with a full hd resolution.

You can care about the graphics or not. You can like these graphics or not. But speaking about quality, these graphics look really (really) low budget. Now, please tell me this looks like a 2019 full hd switch title to you.

Masuda reiterates that with the shift to the Switch, the amount of time needed to make the graphics more beautiful and the animations more lively has increased. Another aspect is the fact that the Pokemon series has reached over 1,000 Pokemon (including form changes), and as such, apart from the graphics, balancing for new Pokemon with new abilities has become very hard. This is the reason behind the decision this time, and they have judged that it will be hard for all the Pokemon to appear, even in titles going forward. This was a decision that had to be made sooner or later, according to Masuda.

According to Ohmori, even in Pokemon Sun & Moon, bringing in every Pokemon was something barely manageable, and with Pokemon Sword & Shield and the need to redo models, and so they had to make a decision.
This is why I find it hard to take them seriously. Why was it "barely manageable" to recycle models, textures and animations for SM? Why is it that difficult to restore "Homed" Pokemon in future Switch games? If it boils down to balance, then come on. I've said it a million times, but you can choose to impose the Galar Pokedex online and in tournaments without affecting casual players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom