• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trending not on /r/pokemon:

Ever since the Dex-it, I sense that the fanbase will have really high standards in a good Pokemon game - and those standards will just add more fuel to the flames for the fanbase against bad pokemon designs and features to be introduced in the future.
Holy cow that gyarados image still gets me and the arcanine one is great too. D= A game like that would be breathtaking.

If we couldn't tell with Lillie till someone actually looked, I doubt we could tell the difference between the pokemon. For all we know only the animation rigs were the only thing untouched.
Lillie was saved as a bunch of different files but that doesn't mean that every Lillie model was made over from scratch. It's the same model, just saved as a different file.

The pokemon models, likewise, are all the same exact models. They have the same framework, the same animations, the same everything but skin - they weren't made over from scratch. You can't make something over from scratch and have it look exactly the same because that just isn't how anything works. There is no magic way of doing the same thing exactly the same way twice in any medium without just using some way of copy-pasting the original work.

If you were tasked with making a ton of Pikachu sculptures, you couldn't make the same exact sculpture twice by hand- you'd have to make a mold of your first sculpture to get them to look exactly the same as the first one, and then all you would have to do is paint the duplicate sculptures.

The Gen 1-7 models were already done, all Game Freak did was add a different coat of paint. Nothing was made from scratch.

Holy cow that gyarados image still gets me and the arcanine one is great too. D= A game like that would be breathtaking.

Lillie was saved as a bunch of different files but that doesn't mean that every Lillie model was made over from scratch. It's the same model, just saved as a different file.

The pokemon models, likewise, are all the same exact models. They have the same framework, the same animations, the same everything but skin - they weren't made over from scratch. You can't make something over from scratch and have it look exactly the same because that just isn't how anything works. There is no magic way of doing the same thing exactly the same way twice in any medium without just using some way of copy-pasting the original work.

If you were tasked with making a ton of Pikachu sculptures, you couldn't make the same exact sculpture twice by hand- you'd have to make a mold of your first sculpture to get them to look exactly the same as the first one, and then all you would have to do is paint the duplicate sculptures.

The Gen 1-7 models were already done, all Game Freak did was add a different coat of paint. Nothing was made from scratch.
You saying that as fact or more so that's what you deduce?

Not saying they redid models to sun and moon, but do to the fact they don't know how to exactly be efficient since the transition to 3d it'd be no surprise that they still have issues getting stuff right. such as their so called future proof models migh not be as prepared for systems like the switch like they thought.
I wish we had someone with an actual 3D game development background here in the thread who could clear things up because with my very limited knowledge in that field I feel like I'm the wrong person to clarify such matters beyond what I already did because personally I never really worked much with 3D models beyond trying to make one in Blender which worked surprisingly smooth but... trust me on this, even Game Freak would not redo the models they did not even create. Even if they'd need them redone, they'd let Creatures Inc. do that again and then it's still not extra work for Game Freak and doesn't take away their time at all.

You saying that as fact or more so that's what you deduce?
Quite frankly speaking, what of the things you said were even facts? Oriden and TechSkylander imo seem like people who kind of know what they're talking about. You don't need to work at Game Freak to know how (game) development would work, and you don't need to have been part of the team who developed the Pokémon models to see it's still the very same models.

EDIT:
...I'm going to call it fact because I am familiar with how creating things works. You can't make something from scratch twice and get the same exact result, nor does it make any sense to.
Well, I mean, with artworks you could for example just copy pixel by pixel and end up with the same thing again from scratch. xD
But excluding bs actions, yep, no matter how good of a copycat you are, recreate something, and it'll never be 100% the same. At best, it's hard to spot the difference. But in this case, it would be easier to just convert the original thing into whatever you need now than to redo it from scratch

Since we're on models again, if anyone's interested in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSxpEvha2pc

I'll do my best to sum it up for those who don't feel like watching:
Titled: Why OMITTING Pokemon from Pokemon Sword and Shield is NOT OKAY; Runtime: 20:52; Channel: DJTHED Games
(Hopefully) Decent Summary of the Model Part: It's a video talking about the model differences between XY and LGPE (or lack thereof) and a few other things (the first few point he goes over: model fidelity; texture fidelity; other two are animation fidelity and game balance). The model on the left is Partner Pikachu, the right is the XY model. There are very small differences between the two-- textures, a few minor tweaks, but all in all, they're practically the same. That doesn't necessarily mean that SwSh uses the same models, but based on what I've seen, they seem to be the same ones, just with different textures. Which, I think is to be expected-- we've gone over (and the video points out) that the models were made with future HD endeavors in mind, and the only thing that really has to be updated with later games is the textures.

I think it's a super interesting video, but I know some people are pretty burnt out from the 'Dex thing; you can tell by the title which side he's on, so I hope my summary did a good job of explaining it (if not, anyone else who does/has watch(ed) feel free to fix this summary ;u; ).

Let's not forget that for gen 6, all the models actually had to be created from scratch (wasn't gen 6 at about 720 Pokemon, not counting the forms?) and it worked, too. It's also not Game Freak who made them, which isn't a bad thing (outsourcing is a common practise) but it's not like you could say Game Freak spent time on making the models they didn't make.
But with these arguments we're kinda going in circles anyway. :p
What about the moves?

New moves were added.

Notice how pokemon are left-footed when they do Low Kick, they turn and kick with their left foot, lol.

Best solution for gamefreak is stop making Pokemon games a yearly thing

Utlitze spin off games by other studios to keep Pokemon interest high during Pokemon skip years

But I honestly don’t think game freak trusts there ability to make a game that’s ever green and playable for years instead over saturates the market

Pokemon right is like McDonald’s. Fast food.

Zelda and Mario are like gourmet food.

Gourmet food tastes longer to make than fast food

Weird thing, at 11:00 to 11:20 he actually does state that if they did rework animations for every model, it'd be too daunting, but then immediately changed his point back to the textures point.

Best solution for gamefreak is stop making Pokemon games a yearly thing

Utlitze spin off games by other studios to keep Pokemon interest high during Pokemon skip years

But I honestly don’t think game freak trusts there ability to make a game that’s ever green and playable for years instead over saturates the market
A good idea in my opinion would be making simple post-game things that can keep a person occupied. I mean, for example, I could spend a lot of time playing pinball on Windows XP, and it's a super simple game! I'm not asking for a pinball minigame in mainline Pokemon games, but let's say...
If they made a battle frontier, they could make it so they release DLC add-ons for it. New modes, higher difficulty, anything to keep people interested in it.
The same would work for something like contests. The DLC could even be free, or be with some kind of season pass. Just anything to keep the games playable and fresh without having to go through them multiple times.
But those are things that sound to me like they could keep someone busy, so it might not appeal to everyone, not even the majority.

Weird thing, at 11:00 to 11:20 he actually does state that if they did rework animations for every model, it'd be too daunting, but then immediately changed his point back to the textures point.
Is...that all you got from the video, and even ParasectfulDreams' summary? (By the way, thanks for the summary! Doesn't sound any off to me at all, so good job on it. Much appreciated by me, who is more fond of reading things than watching videos.)

Well I guess if it turns out that they actually added any major new animations to the pokemon, then the animation excuse might have a leg to stand on. But as it stands now, we haven't seen it.

If the leak continues to remain true, we will be seeing the new Amie/Refresh. But there was a feature that they had in Amie that didn't come back for Refresh, that kind of saddened me. The mini-games. Okay, so they weren't all that big, but dang once where you were bouncing something off the Pokemon's heads was great. I spent hours and hours playing with my Pokemon with that mini-game. I don't know how much that particular mini-game would fit, but playing mini-games for a small reward (like these supposed ingredients that they talk about) would be a great addition to add back to the games.

Horde Battles. They now have a more powerful engine, and can handle more Pokemon on screen. I absolutely loved doing Horde battles in X and Y. It was another feature that made the games feel more real, how Pokemon would work together when challenging you because they are stronger together than alone. Kind of like how some animals work in packs. Not to mention it is a great way to shiny hunt, when you are seeing 5 Pokemon at once. I sure hope that if they do this, they make sure to include a lot of the new Pokemon in the Pokemon that can do Horde encounters. That was the one thing I found lacking with them in X and Y, is that there was like, maybe 1 Pokemon that was new and could be in horde encounters. It would also be cool if they introduced a new Poke Ball with it, a Poke Ball that can catch a single Pokemon in a horde without having to faint the rest of them.

Regional Variants. I see these less as a side thing, and more of a new kind of form. But whatever they are, I want them back. I love the world building features of the Pokemon world, and this one is a great one. I want to see them continue to use it and even develop it further. Like maybe a Pokemon who is a fossil Pokemon in one region was brought over to another region many years ago and is actually thriving in that region because they were able to better adapt there.

And finally, the tiny things. The things that added cute little flavors to the game. Think being able to sit on benches in X and Y, or that little spin you can do when spinning around in circles in Sun and Moon. They were small and unneeded, but it was just super fun finding the different benches in the region, and what kind of views you could get from them. I think that would fit especially well with Galar. I love those little tiny things, and I hope they continue to those kinds of things in.

Well I guess if it turns out that they actually added any major new animations to the pokemon, then the animation excuse might have a leg to stand on. But as it stands now, we haven't seen it.
when they talk about new animations, i assume they are talking about the dynamaxing side and not the normal side. maybe im wrong but that is the only thing that pops in my head when I hear that statement.

Is...that all you got from the video, and even ParasectfulDreams' summary? (By the way, thanks for the summary! Doesn't sound any off to me at all, so good job on it. Much appreciated by me, who is more fond of reading things than watching videos.)
Nah it's not all I got from that, I just caught that. It was just off, like he actually agreed, but shrugged off the agreement

To be fair, they did tweak existing animations. It was on this thread with Machoke as example, it looks smoother and more... "natural"?
But honestly, it's nothing I would've really seen without a direct comparison, although I still absolutely appreciate even such small tweaks.

when they talk about new animations, i assume they are talking about the dynamaxing side and not the normal side. maybe im wrong but that is the only thing that pops in my head when I hear that statement.
=/ I dunno, the Dynamax models look exactly the same to me too. Just bigger and again- different skin. Also with flashy effects that could be copy-pasted for every pokemon so like... not a whole lot of major work to be done there either.

=/ I dunno, the Dynamax models look exactly the same to me too. Just bigger and again- different skin. Also with flashy effects that could be copy-pasted for every pokemon so like... not a whole lot of major work to be done there either.
The question is, if they really just copy-pasted them, though. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom