• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are still the most noticeable changes.

MineFreak18 is correct, the rest just last longer and have minor angle changes. They're welcome changes for sure. But I'm wondering if they'll go even beyond slight changes. Maybe different poses altogether? Tropius, Xatu, Honchcrow, and Mandibuzz all come to mind of Flying Pokemon that look better grounded. Or Jumpluff's old hopping animation from Colosseum.

I'm also gonna try to curb my hype for anything regarding Camping. I really want Poke-Nintendogs or the next best thing, but not having following Pokemon really bummed me out. After years of looking at those cute walking/running animations, only to be exclusive to NPC's and wild Pokemon : (

These are still the most noticeable changes.

MineFreak18 is correct, the rest just last longer and have minor angle changes. They're welcome changes for sure. But I'm wondering if they'll go even beyond slight changes. Maybe different poses altogether? Tropius, Xatu, Honchcrow, and Mandibuzz all come to mind of Flying Pokemon that look better grounded. Or Jumpluff's old hopping animation from Colosseum.

I'm also gonna try to curb my hype for anything regarding Camping. I really want Poke-Nintendogs or the next best thing, but not having following Pokemon really bummed me out. After years of looking at those cute walking/running animations, only to be exclusive to NPC's and wild Pokemon : (
Interesting, so there was some truth to their claim. I do hope more pokemon get unique animations for certain moves. Like how Mega Swampert uses Earthquake. And Scorbunny seems to have one for Flame Charge

Xatu is a Pokémon that really needs that grounded animation. The one used since XY makes it look like it's hanging from an invisible ceiling. Same with Salamence.

But that's for cases where a company purposely chose something. For this case, they said it was due to time constraints. So it's not like they wanted it this way. So a boycott serves no purpose, they're just like anyone that needs to sleep and eat.
They could’ve just told us that they'll be added in patches, but instead they’re preparing to make this a long-term policy.

And even then there's the issue with actually putting them into a near finished game, like shoving an extra block at the bottom of a tall tower
The Pokémon data probably wouldn’t interfere with the rest of the code since they're not appearing in the Game (as encounters or overworld Pokémon) They just need data to display the adequate stats, and movesets when transferred.

making the models for over 800 pokemon from scratch is going to be super time-consuming
Actually.....that brings up a good point. They redid models for multiple characters in sun and moon.....when you think about it it wouldn't be surprising if the redid the existing pokemon models.
Kind reminder that GameFreak don’t make the models. Creatures do. So the entire argument was already baseless and became even more weak.

Interesting, so there was some truth to their claim. I do hope more pokemon get unique animations for certain moves. Like how Mega Swampert uses Earthquake. And Scorbunny seems to have one for Flame Charge
They’re not really that 'unique' since they’re tweaked versions of the attack animations, like someone said before. It remains to be seen if there’s enough work done to cut out entire Pokémon.

How popular was the battle frontier anyway that people seem to fuss about a lot? It's always the one thing I've seen brought up and I don't know too many people that actually bothered.
I can only speak from personal experience. I was 13 or 14 when I played Emerald. And I enjoyed the Battle Frontier immensely. It's still my all time favourite aspect of Pokémon.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
P.S. I think we might be getting the middle evolutions of the starters soon:
English Google Translate

I hope you will look forward to the evolution of the first three Pokemons, Sarnori, Hibunny, and Messon.

P.S. I think we might be getting the middle evolutions of the starters soon:
English Google Translate
Oh wow! I wonder how soon they are talking about. Sun and Moon waited so long before revealing the middle evolutions that I thought it was just a usual thing. I am really interested to see what direction these evolutions go, so we can finally have a real idea on what we are working with for the starter Pokemon.

Looking back in time, Gen 7's starters were revealed about a month before, and same with Gen 6's. It definitely breaks up that pattern if they reveal them early this gen.

While evolutions do always leave a nice hype thing to have towards the end of the marketing campaign, I think I actually kind of like the idea of having them earlier. Then I can focus less on the starters and start putting more attention into the other Pokemon.

Oh wow! I wonder how soon they are talking about. Sun and Moon waited so long before revealing the middle evolutions that I thought it was just a usual thing. I am really interested to see what direction these evolutions go, so we can finally have a real idea on what we are working with for the starter Pokemon.

Looking back in time, Gen 7's starters were revealed about a month before, and same with Gen 6's. It definitely breaks up that pattern if they reveal them early this gen.

While evolutions do always leave a nice hype thing to have towards the end of the marketing campaign, I think I actually kind of like the idea of having them earlier. Then I can focus less on the starters and start putting more attention into the other Pokemon.
I think they’re in soon since they were talked about completely unprovoked. I had to do a double take since I had almost closed the tab at that point. It’s almost as if they were trying to stir the discussion since they’re going to bring them up soon.

And a large reveal is probably needed at this point to distract people.

Also I found this :3 so adorable.
@Silktree would probably like this since he's such a huge Mareep fan :3

Not having Mareep and Wooloo in the same game, would be a huge missed opportunity tbh. Mareep and Wooloo are so cute together.

I would love an anime episode where Team Rocket are trying to shave and sell Wooloo's wool. However, it's nighttime and what they thought was a Wooloo is actually a Mareep, and TR get an electric discharge from touching its wool XD

Last edited:
If it was a New Zealand region it would make sense, lore wise I think. I believe they have some laws that prevent certain animals into the country.

As someone that lives in New Zealand, we have a lot of animals that are considered pests here due to the amount of flightless and endangered birds we have also along with different trees/plants. So animals like Possums, Stoats, Rats, Rabbits etc are considered pests. Sometimes peeps consider cats and dogs pests. Soz if this seems out of the blue, just felt like responding lmfao

I hope this answers your question.

Well I mean... considering that their question was essentially, "How many people actually bothered?" you've uh... confirmed at least 1.

Well I mean... considering that their question was essentially, "How many people actually bothered?" you've uh... confirmed at least 1.
I don't think there's a statistical analysis of how many people used the Battle Frontier, so he will have to use anecdotal evidence either way.

I feel like one helpful thing for themselves (and also their fans) Game Freak could to was making some simply survey. Multiple languages, on the Pokemon site or whereever, just to really get some decently reliable numbers of how many % of people value this or that feature and, for example, how many people would actually want to have a battle frontier, contests....or simply none of those.

I get that they have their own visions but if such a survey, for example, came to the conclusion that a significant majority doesn't want battle gimmicks, then they could put the time they used to put into concepting and making these into things that'd actually be popular. Overall, just really get a feel for what their fans really want and have something to point at "This is what most people asked for, it wasn't our decision."

Well, I bothered back then but was too dumb. I would bother again now if I got a chance again, so make that number at least 2, please. xD

I also loved the Battle Frontier in Emerald, and I say that as a person who doesn't care about battle facilities. I always ignore them after I try them out a couple of times because I'm more interested in side activities like Contests, Pokeathlon etc. I never won any Battle Frontier badges, but I kept playing anyway because the different battle formats were fun.

I just realised something, and I know this is out of subject as I can't find the right forum... but In Pokemon Platinum, when Gardenia said at the villa''what if there's a Grass-Type Ghost Pokemon. What then?'' I think what she's referring to is Mow Rotom at the Old Chateau.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom