• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I am pretty happy with all the gen 8 Pokemon so far. Some of them took me a little longer to warm up to, and some I don't think I'll ever like that much. But I don't hate any of them.

It's so hard to choose a favorite, but I think if I had to choose a few that I really really love right now it would be Grookey still. I have loved this grass monkey from Day 1. I might end up going Sobble if I end up liking Sobble's whole line better than Grookey's. But in general, Grookey is my favorite from Gen 8 so far. Honorable mentions have to be Yamper and Zacien though. Yamper because I love dog Pokemon, and I love electric types. And I am honestly surprised I am saying Zacien. The official art still doesn't do it justice for me, but I love seeing fanart of it. I think the color palette works really well for it, and it looks awesome.

I don't think it will, at least until gamefreak or TPC formally addresses it in a satisfactory way.

It kinda seems like the straw that broke the camels back for a laarrrgeeee portion of the fanbase

This basically, I've stated few times that fans won't be simply letting this go so unless it's like what you said, unless GameFreak or whatever address it.

Anyways, to go back on the topic, there's lot of features that I'd like to see make a return but most likely won't happens sadly which includes the Pokemon Contest and the secret bases from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and also the underground mine from DP.

As for the new 8th Gen Pokemon, I'm really liking Impidimp mainly due to that unique typing they get (Dark/Fairy) and it'll be something good to utilize in the team too, of course depending on their moveset, stats, and abilities.

I love how pretty much every Pokémon revealed by now has been mentioned by at the very least one person on this thread as a Pokémon they really like.
Idk one of the things about Pokémon that I always found beautiful is that no matter how stupid a Pokémon looks to me, there's someone out there who considers that exact one their favourite of all times.

Personally from what we've seen now, Dreadnaw and Corviknight would be my favs of gen 8, while I completely dislike Yamper (because it's a dog, I hate dogs) and Impeldimp (it just looks too...cartoony/weird for me, but might warm up to it while playing the game.)
Zacian and Zamazenta are both cool, I like all starters equally and my preference there will eventually be decided by the evolutions. Expecting Scorbunny to take a furry-bait turn like Incineroar, though, I don't have much hope for that one.
Eldegoss' line I'm mostly indifferent about, though. Might also change while I play the games.

I like most of the gen VIII pokemon we know about so far at least a little bit, the only ones I don't care about being grookey, scorbunny, and the legendaries. If the current trend is any indication, this might end up like gen VII for me, where I end up loving/liking so many of the pokemon. Is it just me, or does game freak get better and better at making pokemon designs? Maybe it's just me....

Impidimp is definitely my favorite one so far, it's just so goofy and sinister at the same time, and I've always wanted an imp pokemon. It has an awesome typing too. I hope it ends up getting prankster, because fairy-typing is excellent to deal with that horrible, pointless nerf game freak gave to the ability. To be honest, I think I'd rather have it not evolve, just because I'm worried about an evolution ruining its design. Like, what if its evolution removes its awesome tongue? I'm not sure that's a sin I'd be capable of forgiving.

Drednaw is the one I'm interested in the most besides impidimp. Contrary to impidimp, I want drednaw to evolve (and I expect it to), because while drednaw does look cool to me, I think its evolution has potential to look absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Hypothetical Question:

I'm curious to see if people would like a pokemon game with a complete national dex, a massive battle frontier for a post-game, all legendaries catchable and shiny-huntable (mythicals excluded), a deep story/lore that keeps you engaged, and a ton of side-quests. AND following walking pokemon. AND a region that allows occasional open world exploration with extra treasure-filled dungeons that take hours to get through.

All for that, in exchange of giving up on 3D modelings, 3D backgrounds, 3D everything, and going back to maybe Gen 5 or Gen 4 style 2D art that is occasionally pixelated.

I would be fine with it, many Pokemon cries from Gen 6 onwards are inferior to the cries in the previous generations.

Hypothetical Question:

I'm curious to see if people would like a pokemon game with a complete national dex, a massive battle frontier for a post-game, all legendaries catchable and shiny-huntable (mythicals excluded), a deep story/lore that keeps you engaged, and a ton of side-quests. AND following walking pokemon. AND a region that allows occasional open world exploration with extra treasure-filled dungeons that take hours to get through.

All for that, in exchange of giving up on 3D modelings, 3D backgrounds, 3D everything, and going back to maybe Gen 5 or Gen 4 style 2D art that is occasionally pixelated.
I'd like all of what you mentioned, obviously, but even without all of that, I'd be fine with a game having gen IV/V graphics. I like models, but the sprite-based pokemon games have their own aesthetic charm and I'm a bit sad that we'll likely never see one again.

Gen 6 and 7 had my absolute favorite pokemon designs. I was surprised because I didn't think anything could beat johto designs for me. I do wonder if gen 8 will continue that for me. Right now it's hit or miss.

I don't want to to go back to 2D/2.5D graphics and sprites, I'm so over that.

And I really don't think it's too much to ask for with a game from such a massively successful franchise to be both a modern 3D game and a game with all of the best features of Pokemon combined. There should be absolutely no problem there.

You know I wonder if they let James Turner be Art Director because he’s British? And the game takes place in UK?

Also do you guys think the final starters will be humanoid again? It’s speculated the reason they are being done like that is because it’s much easier to express emotions with humans than Animals. I mean look at Incineroar.

So news in like a week yeah? I really hope Masusa-san is doing ohkay. I hope the anxiety brought on by the massive disappointment hasn't caused him any health issues. He was most likely either advised or decided himself to stay away from social media for the time being. I can't blame him. I'm not happy about it either, and neither is he, I'm sure. But people are being shitty.

On another note, I really am interested to see if maybe, due to Ohmori-san's unusually arbitrary comment, we actually might see the next evolutions of the stater Pokemon. Do you guys think this would be something big enough to distract people from Dexit for a while?

You know I wonder if they let James Turner be Art Director because he’s British? And the game takes place in UK?

Also do you guys think the final starters will be humanoid again? It’s speculated the reason they are being done like that is because it’s much easier to express emotions with humans than Animals. I mean look at Incineroar.
I wondered the same thing.

And ugh, probably, though the emotions thing doesn't make for much of a point when it only applies to the final stages and not the first two.

wooloo_by_cortoony_dd8md0b-250t.jpg

For your computer replacement, I recommend one of these. ;D
I was exaggerating. Unlike Bowsette, I get real tired of memes.

Someone said that they are more likely to use HOME since they already have phone but they don't have Switch yet. For me, this is quite the opposite. Sure I DO have a phone but I don't like to use it that much and it has really low memory capacity so I wouldn't load too much stuff in it. Also I DO have Switch and I just love consoles so I'd rather have SwSh than HOME app. I'd like to see HOME on computer since I use my laptop a lot more than my phone ever. Of course the app is important for the "on-the-go" feature and "accesable everywhere" but I just don't like this new era of smartphones where everything is now in your phone.

I'm very glad that someone mentioned underground from DPP since THAT is a feature I loved maybe the most. I have spent tens of hours in the underground. I hope that at least DP-remake is coming and the underground will be there if not in upcoming titles.

As for Wooloo I adore that little fellow but that's just because I've always loved sheep. I also love dogs so last gen's Rockruff was a huge win for me. I do hope that upcoming gen is bringing more good designs. And that the Galar dex will be bigger than 403 they have in USUM. We are talking something like 600 at least where gen-8-only pokémon should be a big portion. Maybe pretty unlikely since the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom