• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the third legend doesn’t look like that mountain-thing...
It looks really jarring to me when put together with Zacian and Zamazenta.

Fair enough, but I think it looks more like a modern tower or perhaps an ancient building like a pyramid. Something like a human structure anyway, not a natural formation.

I really hope the third legend doesn’t look like that mountain-thing...
It looks really jarring to me when put together with Zacian and Zamazenta.
You shouldn't worry about that. The mountain-thing is just meant to be a broad depiction of the Dynamax phenomenon in general.

Last edited:
I just hope that the third legend won't be something entirely different from looking like a creature whether it be an animal or a mythological creature, Necrozma gets a pass due to its lore of having light as part of its body and becoming a dragon in its Ultra form.

Hypothetical Question:

I'm curious to see if people would like a pokemon game with a complete national dex, a massive battle frontier for a post-game, all legendaries catchable and shiny-huntable (mythicals excluded), a deep story/lore that keeps you engaged, and a ton of side-quests. AND following walking pokemon. AND a region that allows occasional open world exploration with extra treasure-filled dungeons that take hours to get through.

All for that, in exchange of giving up on 3D modelings, 3D backgrounds, 3D everything, and going back to maybe Gen 5 or Gen 4 style 2D art that is occasionally pixelated.
Drop the open world part and honestly, I'm game. Not gonna lie, 3D can be cool and all, but at the end of the day imo it shouldn't be a necessity just because a game is developed now, but rather still just a choice of style. Pokemon worked well in 2D (or 2.5D) and there were so much more improvements between the games/generations back when it still was 2D/2.5D. Not to mention the sprites looked actually more expressive than the plain, kinda stale 3D models we have now.

I'm likely late to this, however, I saw a video from Famitsu I believe, playing a demo of Sword and Shield and battling a gym. The way he worded his sentence pretty much implied that we are definitely forced to wear a sports uniform for Gym battles (We've seen them wearing that attire in trailers before, but it was never confirmed that we HAD to wear it).

I'm not sure how others feel about that, but I personally hate being forced to wear an outfit, especially for important battles like gym battles. Pokeride outfits were annoying enough. I get that the gyms are fully fledged stadiums now, but the idea of being forced to wear a sporting attire when I would much prefer wearing a much cooler outfit, is something I really dislike. I'm hoping we aren't also forced to wear specific clothing when facing the elite four and the Champion (I will have my final showdown with the Champion and become most powerful trainer in Galar, wearing an awesome trench coat, not a uniform!).
Kinda figured it already but also not a fan of being forced to wear an outfit, especially when I hate soccer. On the other hand, I'd mind it less if your gym outfit was also customizable on your own, or if (although I absolutely doubt it) you had to wear a sports outfit, but it's always a similar one to the one of the gym leaders to reinforce the idea that it's a sports competition and you beat the leader in their own sports.
Just me, probably, but that I'd find kinda cool, to go with the theme. xD

I don't really mind wearing a uniform for the gym challenges, but I definitely agree that I'd much prefer it to be a customizable uniform. Let us pick from different number choices, uniform colors, uniform styles, etc.
Considering that the numbers are different between the reveal trailer and the June 5th info drop, I think that this is the case.

Hypothetical Question:

I'm curious to see if people would like a pokemon game with a complete national dex, a massive battle frontier for a post-game, all legendaries catchable and shiny-huntable (mythicals excluded), a deep story/lore that keeps you engaged, and a ton of side-quests. AND following walking pokemon. AND a region that allows occasional open world exploration with extra treasure-filled dungeons that take hours to get through.

All for that, in exchange of giving up on 3D modelings, 3D backgrounds, 3D everything, and going back to maybe Gen 5 or Gen 4 style 2D art that is occasionally pixelated.
All the good stuff from the past, at the cost of getting rid of 3D? Count me in.

I've always preferred 2D/2.5D graphics anyway, tbh.

Last edited:
I'm likely late to this, however, I saw a video from Famitsu I believe, playing a demo of Sword and Shield and battling a gym. The way he worded his sentence pretty much implied that we are definitely forced to wear a sports uniform for Gym battles (We've seen them wearing that attire in trailers before, but it was never confirmed that we HAD to wear it).

I'm not sure how others feel about that, but I personally hate being forced to wear an outfit, especially for important battles like gym battles. Pokeride outfits were annoying enough. I get that the gyms are fully fledged stadiums now, but the idea of being forced to wear a sporting attire when I would much prefer wearing a much cooler outfit, is something I really dislike. I'm hoping we aren't also forced to wear specific clothing when facing the elite four and the Champion (I will have my final showdown with the Champion and become most powerful trainer in Galar, wearing an awesome trench coat, not a uniform!).

Agreed. It seems I’ll be customizable, so we’d still have some degree of choice ( though I wonder how and when we’d be able to do so), but I’d still had preferred if they didn’t force us in such a way.

I do hope that if there’ll be Champion defenses matches we can customize even more the outfit, at least the upper part like Leon.

I don't really mind wearing a uniform for the gym challenges, but I definitely agree that I'd much prefer it to be a customizable uniform. Let us pick from different number choices, uniform colors, uniform styles, etc.

Hopefully there will be some customisable options, but if there are, why would they bother forcing us to wear it to begin with, unless the customisation options are minimal? What I wish they had done was simply add sporting attire options to the list of available clothing for us, and that way people will have the option of wearing it if they wanted, without forcing us to.

Hey, guys. Do you think that the Game Freak, Inc. developers should exceeded 1,000 species Pokémon?

In terms of customization, it's a slight disappointment that you still won't be able to choose your character's eye color from the beginning.

If leaks are to believed, that is probably either Eternatus or more likely Meteordyna.

I don't know why people think that's Melmetal- Melmetal doesn't have fingers. Among other things.
Who's Meteordyna? Never heard about It...

Drop the open world part and honestly, I'm game. Not gonna lie, 3D can be cool and all, but at the end of the day imo it shouldn't be a necessity just because a game is developed now, but rather still just a choice of style. Pokemon worked well in 2D (or 2.5D) and there were so much more improvements between the games/generations back when it still was 2D/2.5D. Not to mention the sprites looked actually more expressive than the plain, kinda stale 3D models we have now.
I don't think we should be forced to choose between good content and good graphics. Tpci is giant, they could invest in GF and let them do both things if they want to.
I mean, we are in 2019, pokemon should look great too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom