• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's Meteordyna? Never heard about It...

I don't think we should be forced to choose between good content and good graphics. Tpci is giant, they could invest in GF and let them do both things if they want too.
I mean, we are in 2019, pokemon should look great too.
Good graphics don't need to be 3D. 2D can also have good graphics and look as good as, if not better, than 3D.

3D isn't a necessary development for the visuals of every game, and not every game needs to go 3D.

I don't know why, but I feel as if since transitioning to 3D models with Gen 6, Pokemon has somehow lost it's spark. Most of the good artists have either left or are working on other projects. I could understand a few have passed on, whether or not that's true, but what made Pokemon so special, regardless to mons or region is somehow lacking compaired with Gen 1 to 4, with Gen 5 being the High Noon of the series. I dunno, perhaps it's the times we are living in.

Last edited:
Who's Meteordyna? Never heard about It...

Neither did I till I searched this thread just now:

Take note, some stuff like the cursing and the insults were more so liberties overexaggerating their non belief.

It is very likely the Hill Figure Monster. Its name implies that it's from outer space I'm guessing, so maybe it's going to be a New Age Deoxys? Or it's a Dynamaxed Ultra Beast.

In terms of customization, it's a slight disappointment that you still won't be able to choose your character's eye color from the beginning.
Don't get me started on how, 2 gens later, we still only get to choose from a very limited number of preset character looks at the start of the game. It really, really should be completely customizable from the moment the game starts (aside from clothing).

Don't get me started on how, 2 gens later, we still only get to choose from a very limited number of preset character looks at the start of the game. It really, really should be completely customizable from the moment the game starts (aside from clothing).
They really should make it like Splatoon's customization at the beginning, I can see why you won't be able to change it later unlike in Splatoon, but at least it would be perfect enough.

As someone who didn't like any of the Directs to begin with, I can still understand why the initial reaction to the graphics was favorable. Most fans gave Game Freak a pass because very few expected much better, but when Dexit surfaced, they were less inclined to be forgiving. It's natural.

The Wild Area is about interacting with the environment more than ever before, so the graphics do make a difference.

As someone who didn't like any of the Directs to begin with, I can still understand why the initial reaction to the graphics was favorable. Most fans gave Game Freak a pass because very few expected much better, but when Dexit surfaced, they were less inclined to be forgiving. It's natural.

The Wild Area is about interacting with the environment more than ever before, so the graphics do make a difference.
Over one of the non interactable trees?

This tree doesn't look as bad

Jeez wait for more info... Better they give me my dragon/ghost walking skeleton immune to special attacks shedinja equivalent and a physical immune equivalent dark/psychic shadow beast... This two need to happen.

Who cares about artificial trees and worries about past pokemon if the new ones need to rock the floor with the old ones first.

I'm likely late to this, however, I saw a video from Famitsu I believe, playing a demo of Sword and Shield and battling a gym. The way he worded his sentence pretty much implied that we are definitely forced to wear a sports uniform for Gym battles (We've seen them wearing that attire in trailers before, but it was never confirmed that we HAD to wear it).

I'm not sure how others feel about that, but I personally hate being forced to wear an outfit, especially for important battles like gym battles. Pokeride outfits were annoying enough. I get that the gyms are fully fledged stadiums now, but the idea of being forced to wear a sporting attire when I would much prefer wearing a much cooler outfit, is something I really dislike. I'm hoping we aren't also forced to wear specific clothing when facing the elite four and the Champion (I will have my final showdown with the Champion and become most powerful trainer in Galar, wearing an awesome trench coat, not a uniform!).
Seems like a none issue in comparison.

Over one of the non interactable trees?

View attachment 119922

This tree doesn't look as bad
That's either from PokeCamp or a cutscene, so it isn't really the overworld or even interactable as far as we know. And the berry trees are certainly interactable but have been mocked by many. I am not a graphics person, though, so that's all I wish to say on the topic.

This two need to happen.
Okay.

You shouldn't worry about that. The mountain-thing is just meant to be a broad depiction of the Dynamax phenomenon in general.
I think the tail on it is too unique of a detail to just be a generic design. Plus we've pretty much seen from the bird wind vanes and the dog silhouette on the stadium stands that they're not really doing generic creature designs for any of these details. All of them reference specific Pokémon. The mountain drawing is most likely a depiction of the legendary related to the dynamax phenomenon.

If both of the credible leaks so far are legit... we may already be looking at two more legendaries besides our wolves.

It is very likely the Hill Figure Monster. Its name implies that it's from outer space I'm guessing, so maybe it's going to be a New Age Deoxys? Or it's a Dynamaxed Ultra Beast.
I don't think the "Meteor" in its name implies that it's from space. Meteorology is the study of the atmosphere and weather, and we know that the dynamax phenomenon has a cloud element to it, so it's probably referring to that.

If both of the credible leaks so far are legit... we may already be looking at two more legendaries besides our wolves.
What do you mean? There's only one credible rumor as far as I know. The two that have been proven to be 100% real didn't mention any legendary.

What do you mean? There's only one credible rumor as far as I know. The two that have been proven to be 100% real didn't mention any legendary.
We had one that mentioned Eternatus and the other mentions Meteordyna.

At this point, I'm tempted to just go ahead and start calling mountain drawing monster Meteordyna since it clearly depicts a Pokémon involved in dynamax and I'm thinking the tail might be based on a weather satellite antenna.

I don't know why, but I feel as if since transitioning to 3D models with Gen 6, Pokemon has somehow lost it's spark. Most of the good artists have either left or are working on other projects. I could understand a few have passed on, whether or not that's true, but what made Pokemon so special, regardless to mons or region is somehow lacking compaired with Gen 1 to 4, with Gen 5 being the High Noon of the series. I dunno, perhaps it's the times we are living in.
I feel the sprites had more artistic creativity. But I do like both for different reasons. chibis are nice, but the 3d world stuff is also nice. One of my friends thinks we love the older games a little more simply because more is left to the imagination than now. I'm not so sure that is true, but eh.

I realize I'm late again,

To be completely fair with Level-5 and Yokai Watch 4, they completely revamped the game from scratch. It features an entire different battle mode. Which is a lot more than what can be said for Game Freak. Still that doesn't necessarily excuse the elimination of Yokai. But I'm sure their reasons why are different from GF's. Not to mention, seeing as the majority of Yokai are just recolors and reskins, is it really going to affect most of us?

I'm not bothered by this. I'm still looking forward to YK4.

Good graphics don't need to be 3D. 2D can also have good graphics and look as good as, if not better, than 3D.

3D isn't a necessary development for the visuals of every game, and not every game needs to go 3D.
While I agree anyone can have his own taste on 2d or 3d models for the pokemon, 3d graphics are not just for the pokemon. Imo having a 3d map, being able to see the environment in 3d is just another experience. Galar looks like a proper region and the people in Galar look much more expressive. This helps making the game more addictive.
I can feel this is the way pokemon should be. It makes you finally believe you are actually in a pokemon region and not simply navigating in a square picture route after route, city after city.

maxresdefault.jpg

pokemon-sword-shield-tall-grass.png

This - if 3D is too difficult, then I think Pokemon should go back to 2.5D or maybe even full 2D. Many people have brought up Cuphead, but I think something like Octopath Traveler would be nice too.

However, I think that now that we've had games in proper 3D, people would see going back to 2.5D as a regression.

While I agree anyone can have his own taste on 2d or 3d models for the pokemon, 3d graphics are not just for the pokemon. Imo having a 3d map, being able to see the environment in 3d is just another experience. Galar looks like a proper region and the people in Galar look much more expressive. This helps making the game more addictive.
I can feel this is the way pokemon should be. It makes you finally believe you are actually in a pokemon region and not simply navigating in a square picture.

[Two comparison pics]
Quite frankly, with Pokémon being a game where you hardly interact with the environment besides getting encounters, talking to people and walking through doors, I really, really don't see how going 3D objectively adds to the experience. If it's merely someone's taste and preference, that's another matter and nothing that's really up for discussion anyway, anyone is free to have their own preferences.

I just absolutely dislike the so common mindset that 3D is perceived as objectively better and a necessary development for everything. It's not. If you, or anyone really, prefers 3D environments/games over 2D, that's perfectly fine, but it's not objectively better in every way than 2D and for what Pokémon is not necessary at all either.

Personally I actually liked the BW style in 2D and if they expanded on that even more, that could've ended in games that would be more enjoyable for me nowadays. But they had to bow to the crying for 3D in everything and now we have plain, lifeless models that just stand around until they move into poorly done combat animations, so that's great!

This - if 3D is too difficult, then I think Pokemon should go back to 2.5D or maybe even full 2D. Many people have brought up Cuphead, but I think something like Octopath Traveler would be nice too.

However, I think that now that we've had games in proper 3D, people would see going back to 2.5D as a regression.
There are a couple of games in a 2D style that look really nice and I'd love to see what gen 8 would look like had Pokémon never gone into 3D, I feel like it would be, by direct comparison, more impressive than what we got now.
At this point moving back to 2D (or 2.5D) would probably create about as much of a backlash as Dexit does, tbh.

Totally. I don't advise they go back unless they are heavily grilled by the 3D of SWSH. Then it probably should be considered. just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom