• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite frankly, with Pokémon being a game where you hardly interact with the environment besides getting encounters, talking to people and walking through doors, I really, really don't see how going 3D objectively adds to the experience. If it's merely someone's taste and preference, that's another matter and nothing that's really up for discussion anyway, anyone is free to have their own preferences.

I just absolutely dislike the so common mindset that 3D is perceived as objectively better and a necessary development for everything. It's not. If you, or anyone really, prefers 3D environments/games over 2D, that's perfectly fine, but it's not objectively better in every way than 2D and for what Pokémon is not necessary at all either.

Personally I actually liked the BW style in 2D and if they expanded on that even more, that could've ended in games that would be more enjoyable for me nowadays. But they had to bow to the crying for 3D in everything and now we have plain, lifeless models that just stand around until they move into poorly done combat animations, so that's great!
In case you missed it:
While I agree anyone can have his own taste on 2d or 3d models for the pokemon, 3d graphics are not just for the pokemon. Imo having a 3d map, being able to see the environment in 3d is just another experience. Galar looks like a proper region and the people in Galar look much more expressive. This helps making the game more addictive.
I can feel this is the way pokemon should be. It makes you finally believe you are actually in a pokemon region and not simply navigating in a square picture route after route, city after city.
I didn't say that "3D objectively adds to the experience", so I don't see why are you brining that up. I just talked about the models in the first sentence because that was the main complain of the past posts.

In case you missed it:

I didn't say that "3D objectively adds to the experience", so I don't see why are you brining that up. I just talked about the models in the first sentence because that was the main complain of the past posts.
Y'know, I'm not into letting myself get baited into this kind of argument. Let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

Many people have brought up Cuphead
I don't think people realize just how much more work Cuphead-esque graphics would be.

Cuphead was traditionally animated. It wasn't where they drew one image and then animated the expressions and limbs on layers. They drew every single individual frame. The boss characters literally had hundreds, possibly even thousands, of still frames.

For Game Freak to do that with 800+ Pokemon would take 50 times as long to accomplish and it's not something most studios are keen with doing (which is part of the reason why Cuphead was so phenomenal). In comparison to the above, 3D models is easy and far quicker. Since they only have to make one model and input code to move it.

This - if 3D is too difficult, then I think Pokemon should go back to 2.5D or maybe even full 2D. Many people have brought up Cuphead, but I think something like Octopath Traveler would be nice too.

However, I think that now that we've had games in proper 3D, people would see going back to 2.5D as a regression.
Personally prefer the 3D but I do have to say this much-

Having to draw ~900 sprites from scratch really should not be easier than retexturing 800+ premade models.

While I agree anyone can have his own taste on 2d or 3d models for the pokemon, 3d graphics are not just for the pokemon. Imo having a 3d map, being able to see the environment in 3d is just another experience. Galar looks like a proper region and the people in Galar look much more expressive. This helps making the game more addictive.
I can feel this is the way pokemon should be. It makes you finally believe you are actually in a pokemon region and not simply navigating in a square picture route after route, city after city.

maxresdefault.jpg

pokemon-sword-shield-tall-grass.png
I respect your opinion,

2D >>>> 3D

I prefer 3D to 2D at this point for Pokémon...although my answer
I realize I'm late again,

To be completely fair with Level-5 and Yokai Watch 4, they completely revamped the game from scratch. It features an entire different battle mode. Which is a lot more than what can be said for Game Freak. Still that doesn't necessarily excuse the elimination of Yokai. But I'm sure their reasons why are different from GF's. Not to mention, seeing as the majority of Yokai are just recolors and reskins, is it really going to affect most of us?

I'm not bothered by this. I'm still looking forward to YK4.
I never played YK so I don’t know exactly what the fanbase feels about it and how much people were attached to Yokai, and my view is quite external to the issue in Level-5’s new game, but what you say has some merit it in.

While I don’t necessarily agree on the ‘lot more’ (regardless of how it’ll be executed in the end, GF did implement an open world area with different Pokémon being available based on the day, time, and weather. All together this isn’t exactly a simple thing to add), YK4 having a brand new combat system is something that can offset or balance out the lack of the full Yokai roster (depending on how well received it’ll be).

GF does have the open world area, but I fear it’s not enough to offset the lack of the Whole roster (and it’s possible that the fanbase is more attached to Pokémon.); at least, based on what they shown. If the animation system is completely overhauled in the final game and every move is properly animated, it’d at least justify GF’s motivations, regardless if it’ll be accepted or not. Same goes if the SwSh have a longer, more detailed plot, with a deep postgame or whatever additional feature they might add (still hoping for a difficult level...)

While I’d like Pokémon to be able to have games in 3D, I’d rather have a 2D game with content in it than if a 3D environment has to sacrifice content for the sake of visuals. Game Freak is trying to do the latter, but they’re still not succeeding on that front if the numerous graphical problems of SwSh are any indication. In an ideal world, Game Freak should be able to handle 3D environments and expressions without sacrificing important content. So far, SwSh seems to prove otherwise.

We definitely need more information about SwSh and player experience to make a final judgment on whether the sacrifices they’ve made (Dexit and previous battle features) have a good payoff in terms of gameplay. It’s not looking like it though.

You better prove us wrong, Game Freak!

Lurking through /r/pokemon again, I think it has calmed down a bit. Fan art is slowly coming back to the top row - And half of all the posts are now images of Pokemon being disguised as other Galar-dex pokemon in hopes of illegally crossing the Galarian Border. Mostly just funny things instead of pure outrage.

UK looks at Galar Pokedex with a frown.
UK: This is because of Brexit, isn't it?
GF nodded disappointingly.

I oredict that by the time the next game comes around we'll all have calmed down and the only mentions will be "I hope they don't do dexit again." (Personally, I think we should have gone with dexgate. Why bring modern politics into this.)

Personally prefer the 3D but I do have to say this much-

Having to draw ~900 sprites from scratch really should not be easier than retexturing 800+ premade models.
Retexturing around 400 premade models ;)

I oredict that by the time the next game comes around we'll all have calmed down and the only mentions will be "I hope they don't do dexit again." (Personally, I think we should have gone with dexgate. Why bring modern politics into this.)
Well, after comicsgate and gamergate, I think it was better to avoid the -gate suffix.

Also, it was a pretty nice pun they did here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom