• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like that graphics aren't really the issue so switching to 2D isn't a solution to what is actually wrong.
So in other words, Game Freak would have done the same exact stupid move of removing Pokémon had the games still been 2D?

So in other words, Game Freak would have done the same exact stupid move of removing Pokémon had the games still been 2D?
They would've had to have drawn and animated 800+ pokemon from scratch in 2D, so yeah. Not exactly a time saver.

Having 3D models is like having the lineart already done and just having to recolor it for each new gen.

I have thought of something that could happen, but it's more of an eventuality rather than doing it all on the first time: Game Freak is going to have to animate every single Pokemon eventually, no one might realize as of now, but that change in policy, in the long run, is temporary. With the way that they love distributing Pokemon in every month of the final year of the generation, the data for those Pokemon have to be in the games for them to distribute them. Let's not forget that they love doing remakes, which will lead to more older Pokemon getting animated and being coded into the games. Because with 800+ Pokemon as of now, it's so much easier to just import their data to the next game instead of picking and choosing individually.

I think so, and the same goes to the mistakes they made in Gen VI and Gen VII.
I mean, I could understand the whole Battle Frontier exclusion still happening, but what excuse would they have had for removing Pokémon from Gen 8?

As someone who wants to go to the animation industry. The studios have their own schedule too, sure they come out at the same time as the games but at the same time they keep as long as the actual games longevity, hence why each season lasts about 3 years or so. Telling em they now have to add extra 1 or 2 years is already more money they have to poor into the animation budget, not to mention extra planning and padding which could potentially ruin the shows quality costing them ratings. It's not simply a situation of just "Draw longer" a lot of scheduling and financial planning goes into this. Not to mention some artists might have other projects to work on so you have to pay more for their time to stay on board. Long story short, it's not simple. If it was they'd have done it.

They have been making a zillion episodes since 1997.
And ratings don't matter. Plus, the target audience will still see their beloved monsters on TV and buy the games and toys.
Also, both AG and DP lasted 4 years.

I mean, I could understand the whole Battle Frontier exclusion still happening, but what excuse would they have had for removing Pokémon from Gen 8?
Not exactly sure, but I feel it could be something similar to what they said now. Like Oriden said, they would still have to draw 800+ Pokémon + alt formes, megas, etc.

Also, now that I think about it, the only thing not going to 3D would have prevented would have been Lumiose City.

They gotta move in tandem with the anime and TCG.
They don't, though. The anime and TCG were still receiving updates in 2015, despite there being no main series release at the time.
As someone who wants to go to the animation industry. The studios have their own schedule too, sure they come out at the same time as the games but at the same time they keep as long as the actual games longevity, hence why each season lasts about 3 years or so. Telling em they now have to add extra 1 or 2 years is already more money they have to poor into the animation budget, not to mention extra planning and padding which could potentially ruin the shows quality costing them ratings. It's not simply a situation of just "Draw longer" a lot of scheduling and financial planning goes into this. Not to mention some artists might have other projects to work on so you have to pay more for their time to stay on board. Long story short, it's not simple. If it was they'd have done it.
We've had the same protagonist for two decades, with little character development, and that hasn't ruined the show's quality-why would filler episodes do that? (Besides, isn't filler what the anime does best? I'm pretty sure that gym leader battles don't happen every episode)

Also, hiatuses are a thing. They don't have to fill the time up with anything. Plenty of popular shows have gone through hiatuses and come out just fine. Gravity Falls, for example, had a hiatus just shy of a year between seasons. And Gravity Falls wasn't a multimedia franchise like Pokemon-the show was their main product. (I don't think they even had merch at that point) Same goes for Steven Universe-main product is the show, goes on hiatus a lot, and still comes out fine. Why should the anime of a franchise far bigger take a nosedive if these series are able to survive?

We actually can see them starting to cut corners with sprites in Gen 5- I've noticed that a lot of past-Gen pokemon in B/W reused Gen 4 sprites but with some animation added. I think the wear of adding new sprites each generation was starting to show back then, so going back to 2D now would probably just mean more cutting corners and seeing pokemon with the exact same art, barely any changes, game after game after game.

Which yeah, we're getting that with 3D now because it's inevitable, but it would look grossly more apparent in 2D.

if you are referring to the dex, yeah i think they would have because as they stated (whether people agree with it or not) it was more than just the time with graphics. such as game balancing. and eventually we would get so many mons anyway that 2D vs 3D when it comes to time isn't going to matter. Alot of mons is just that, alot of mons.

so going against the grain of a few others here, i don't think they'd've made that decision, however i also don't think that the games would have significantly changed. you know, other dimension where XY and SM are in 2D instead of 3D and considering Game Freak's past games.....yeah they're pretty much the same just....2D.

More like that graphics aren't really the issue so switching to 2D isn't a solution to what is actually wrong.
I agree with this, but I don't think that is why some people are bringing up the 2D. I do see their thought process of well it may save time they could use on other things, but that can only work for so long anyway. But I know I am fine with 2D graphics with older things we don't have now with 3D. 2D being associated with that because of "less time less complexity" is hypothetical though.
I know for myself with 2D, it's a matter if gamefreak can handle doing things in 3D or not. There are so many complaints about how they made some 3D things in the overworld.

And they are already have massive criticism about the dex issue and then lost features and nice things like actually having to do something or some story with catching ledgendaries or mythicals, ect.

And that would be the only reason, I think, of the consideration of going back to 2D. Is if 3D is too hard for them to handle and is making the product suffer and consumers not being happy.

I don't think the "Meteor" in its name implies that it's from space. Meteorology is the study of the atmosphere and weather, and we know that the dynamax phenomenon has a cloud element to it, so it's probably referring to that.

That's a very good point. For some reason (assuming it looks anything like the hill drawing) the design kinda vaguely reminds me of the Tao Trio's tail generators. Not implying any relation, but there could be a similarity in function. I wonder why the leak called it a "minor" legendary? Were they implying that it's actually the 600 bst mythical? I could see a Hoopa situation, were Dynamaxed Meteordyna's true form is only obtained in its large state.

Eternatus sounds like the name of the "endgame" Pokemon. Pokemon that finish off the dex such as Arceus or Zygarde.

Thinking about how so many people are angry about the whole dex thing. I've been wondering if there was a way to do it that wouldn't have caused so much outrage and here is what I've come up with. First don't do it in the first gen on the newest hardware, basically this is something they should have stated in regards to the next generation of pokemon, Gen 9. Using that as a basis you then treat Gen 8 as the swansong to being able to complete the national dex. The next thing to do would be to say that Pokemon Home wouldn't just be about transferring pokemon to sword and shield and then Gen 9, state that you could use Home to transfer pokemon between the mainline games and spin offs, not just stuff like let's go, but something like Pokemon Battle Revolution, a game that would be designed for all the hardcore pokemon battle fanatics that have wanted to have the battle frontier return, or maybe a game that is solely focused on something like Pokemon Contests or the Pokethalon or maybe a new game based on the Pokemon TCG with you being able to make a deck from all the pokemon you have caught. With this rather than have long time fans angry that they can't transfer all of their pokemon you have fans going out to buy the last games that you can catch them all in and it would also not even hurt Gen 9 that much since there would be time for people to come to terms with the decision and move forward. A lot of the current anger is that people haven't had time to just process it decision and are lashing out by moving it down a gen you give people the time to come to terms with the decision and by treating Gen 8 as the swansong to being able to complete the national dex you give Gen 8 a sort of celebratory feeling witch would actually be pretty nice.

I agree with this, but I don't think that is why some people are bringing up the 2D. I do see their thought process of well it may save time they could use on other things, but that can only work for so long anyway. But I know I am fine with 2D graphics with older things we don't have now with 3D. 2D being associated with that because of "less time less complexity" is hypothetical though.
I know for myself with 2D, it's a matter if gamefreak can handle doing things in 3D or not. There are so many complaints about how they made some 3D things in the overworld.

And they are already have massive criticism about the dex issue and then lost features and nice things like actually having to do something or some story with catching ledgendaries or mythicals, ect.

And that would be the only reason, I think, of the consideration of going back to 2D. Is if 3D is too hard for them to handle and is making the product suffer and consumers not being happy.
Not sure where this idea that they can't handle it comes from... making a ton of new 2D sprites isn't really quicker than re-texturing models, so it wouldn't help there. The only difference I can see is that the games would flat out stagnate graphically. Welcome to your totally different pokemon adventure where the only difference is that we rearranged the map.

Yeah, there are some side features in 2D, but think about what those features were and how difficult they would honestly be to implement into 3D. Remember that most of them were built using static screens and sprites just using the same animations as they do everywhere else.

Yeah, some things on the map don't look right in 3D yet, but give them some more time to master it- next generation is going to look better than this one, no doubt about that. The only thing that running back to 2D does is make the graphic improvements more negligible. As it is, they were already throwing in 3D elements because there was nowhere else to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom