• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever sometimes think that some of us see a decline in pokemon only because we're slowly outgrowing the series? Losing interest cause we don't feel it's for us anymore?

You guys ever sometimes think that some of us see a decline in pokemon only because we're slowly outgrowing the series? Losing interest cause we don't feel it's for us anymore?
Not really, no. Especially considering the main criticism is "I don't want x Pokemon to be removed", which is hardly an opinion only a teen/adult would have.

The main other issue I'm seeing right now is criticism of the graphics, which, true, isn't something younger audiences care about, but I don't think it's the only factor in whether someone is interested in a game...

I think the consensus in some places that the games have been on some inherent decline ever since they hit the 3DS is partially attributed to it.

X/Y fundamentally isn't really all that different from your typical first pair in a generation. It's poor story is one of the main things people criticize but bar B/W, Pokemon has never really been the series to go to for well written stories lol

I wouldn't say it's because people are outgrowing it, but rather the series has been moving towards a more casual direction which not everyone is gonna click with of course. I also think a part of it is people who played the games when they were younger probably weren't on the internet as much, and were able to go into each game near-blind to its content, compared to now where there's these huge pre-release campaigns and international releases that a lot of us follow. It's easy to not enjoy something as much as you would've when you've seen everything before actually playing the game

I oftentimes think that about a series, only for the company to turn around and bring the magic back. Like with Zelda. I liked many aspects of Skyward Sword, but the series certainly seemed to be going downhill and SS was the largest evidence of this for me. But then Breath of the Wild came out. I felt like a kid playing OOT again. The experience was so fresh, and so magical.

Sadly, GF does not seem to want to do that with Pokemon.

I wouldn't say it's because people are outgrowing it, but rather the series has been moving towards a more casual direction which not everyone is gonna click with of course. I also think a part of it is people who played the games when they were younger probably weren't on the internet as much, and were able to go into each game near-blind to its content, compared to now where there's these huge pre-release campaigns and international releases that a lot of us follow. It's easy to not enjoy something as much as you would've when you've seen everything before actually playing the game

Generally I agree that seeing too much about a game beforehand can water down the experience and make one disappointed. Nevertheless, I remember before Pokemon Gold/Silver came out in the US I stumbled upon an unofficial strategy guide for the Japanese version of the games at a local bookstore. I got it and read every word of it multiple times over. I knew everything that was going to happen in those games, and when I got them, I still had a complete blast with them. (that was also around the time when my parents started letting me get online, and I also got to see all of the new Pokemon online in addition to the strategy guide).

So, it can't take the magic away from every game. Some games just shine no matter what.

The main other issue I'm seeing right now is criticism of the graphics, which, true, isn't something younger audiences care about, but I don't think it's the only factor in whether someone is interested in a game...

I think it's a case that people could be distracted enough from mediocre graphics so long as they at least got to have the rest of the features they care about that usually got brought over from generation to generation. Now that is no longer possible, the distraction is no longer justified, especially when Game Freak themselves claimed that improved animations were the reason for cutting those features to begin with.

It's not just the graphics either, but the presentation of the games also. I didn't feel excited when Game Freak demoed their Wild Area, and the sub-par graphics are only apart of that. The world didn't feel as "alive" as it should to be, at best it felt like visiting a small Poke'park or a zoo. You can almost get away with low class graphics if you can at least stylize the presentation of your world correctly. But then again, there seemed to be many technical issues like sliding NPCS, Dynamaxed Pokemon cutting and blipping, and the over world not being properly layered/textured as the bicycle was blending into the ground at points.

And sadly, the Orre games are a case of not being as good as they once were. Sure, the story was interesting, but sadly:
  • The Pokémon available are pretty limited.
  • You can't actually explore Orre like you could in the other games.
  • The game is so full of corridors to the point it's painful to have Rui behind you all the time (I almost had to reset once because both an NPC and Rui blocked my way).
  • It has an artstyle that completely contrasts with the rest of the series and the Pokémon themselves. Seriously, Michael wouldn't look out of place in Shaman King.
  • They also removed animations from Stadium, leaving around three for each Pokémon. They even removed Blastoise's cannons for God's sake!
This comes from repeated and recent playthroughs of both Colosseum and XD, because sincerely, I didn't notice those things at first.

that's certainly a reach. people barely cared about Pokemon's graphics until it suddenly became en vogue because it was suddenly the ~ boogeyman ~ for all of pokemon's problems.

I don't know. I don't see any scenario where I would see Pokemon coming to the Switch, and its tree and grass textures being comparable to OOT (an over 20 year old game) and NOT think it is completely unacceptable.

Games can have not the most cutting edge of graphics and still look good. Nintendo is well-known for this, since their hardware is always behind everyone else. But this... This is so bad. Like I don't know how anyone can think it is acceptable.

So you're telling me the main reason people pretended they had no standard for graphics was simply because you can transfer pokemon in? Seems like shallow reasoning to sticking with the series

I don't know. I don't see any scenario where I would see Pokemon coming to the Switch, and its tree and grass textures being comparable to OOT (an over 20 year old game) and NOT think it is completely unacceptable.

Games can have not the most cutting edge of graphics and still look good. Nintendo is well-known for this, since their hardware is always behind everyone else. But this... This is so bad. Like I don't know how anyone can think it is acceptable.
because i don't play pokemon for the graphics? the graphics are stylized enough that in a couple generations no one will care. like rule #1 of graphics: the more effort you put into realness, the worse your game is going to look over time. further, i would say the whole notion of the graphics being comparable to OoT (& really XD too for that matter) is certainly a mental gymnastics performance worthy of an olympic gold.

I believe there's a bigger underlying problem about Pokemon games than just the graphics and Dex-it: It's really the rarely changing gameplay holding everything back from being as good as other franchises that evolved their gameplay over the years.

Even on this game, I feel like I'll go through a heavily similar adventuring and battling system as all the previous games, only with new aesthetics. The same game will get repetitive no matter what gimmicks and graphics get added or removed. And the more fans ignore questioning the gameplay, the worse things get for the fanbase and the franchise.

I believe there's a bigger underlying problem about Pokemon games than just the graphics and Dex-it: It's really the rarely changing gameplay holding everything back from being as good as other franchises that evolved their gameplay over the years.

Even on this game, I feel like I'll go through a heavily similar adventuring and battling system as all the previous games, only with new aesthetics. The same game will get repetitive no matter what gimmicks and graphics get added or removed. And the more fans ignore questioning the gameplay, the worse things get for the fanbase and the franchise.
so if you don't want to play a Pokemon game....then don't play it. there's a reason why Final Fantasy has been in the shitter for eons and why Pokemon is still around.

the fundamental problem Pokemon fans have is they keep expecting Pokemon to be something it's not. it's like walking up to a hot dog stand, ordering a hot dog, and then being like "wow can't believe i just got a hot dog, was kinda expecting more of a burger." and this is the exact sort of like aging out or "interest"-ing out i've referred to in the past.

People never truly specify what they want to change, only that they want it, and that doesn't help. Look at the wild area, people said they wanted a form of openworld for ages, finally get it, people say it's barren and complain about a tree.

so if you don't want to play a Pokemon game....then don't play it. there's a reason why Final Fantasy has been in the shitter for eons and why Pokemon is still around.
I don't know. I don't find the modern FFs bad. They are inferior, but not bad in my opinion. If you want a true bad FF, go play II or III (the ones with Firion and OK). But I didn't find Lightning or Tidus's games bad.

the fundamental problem Pokemon fans have is they keep expecting Pokemon to be something it's not. it's like walking up to a hot dog stand, ordering a hot dog, and then being like "wow can't believe i just got a hot dog, was kinda expecting more of a burger." and this is the exact sort of like aging out or "interest"-ing out i've referred to in the past.

It seems like you are taking a franchise for granted that way, and not advocating the evolution of it. I think the franchise is staying in the fast food quality as it frames itself as part of the upscale restaurant industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom