• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're telling me the main reason people pretended they had no standard for graphics was simply because you can transfer pokemon in? Seems like shallow reasoning to sticking with the series

I think it's more so that, since GF's reasoning for cutting Pokémon from the games was so they could focus on animations and "balancing" (whatever the hell the latter means), people have become more critical of the games, since they're expecting a noticeably major improvement in stuff like graphics for such a trade-off.

You barely even said anything, all you did was mention some comparison which you still haven't even elaborated on, followed by some opinion that was barely relevant to what I even said. What is it you're standing by exactly? Not that it matters, what you personally think has no bearing on my opinion or anyone else's at all.
Between Dynamax and the sports-themed outfits/stadiums, gyms seem worse than before.

The most efficient methods to transport Pokemon finally decoded:

Personally, I feel like it's too early to say whether the game is gonna be great or horrendous. Perhaps they're actually trying to not leak every single thing half a year before release this time around :p

I also have fate that there will be quite a bit of improvements over what we've seen in the current demo of the game. Especially when we look at the trailers, where areas look much more vibrant and lively than they were depicted in the demo.

I also find it interesting to see how many people reacted negatively to the gym leader boss rush rumor. My first reaction was: "Cool! Some extra fights with strong trainers".
Never thinking about the fact how you technically lose everything you've done so far and have to 'start over'. But eh, that in and of itself is a trope which I honestly don't really mind. I mean ash does it often enough in the anime :p

So I really feel like it depends on the implementation if that rumor ends up being true. If it's just like "LOL, some random animal just stole your shit go do everything over again." then yes, I'm not sure how much I'd approve of it, but if there is a special reason, perhaps the champion is behind it because he wants to keep his fame, now that would be an interesting addition to the story! It's all about execution on that one.

Besides, the whole point of Pokémon is fighting to become the strongest right? Who wouldn't mind some more high level trainers with personality to battle before the climax :)

I mean ash does it often enough in the anime
He does it with different gym leaders, different opponent and a different region though... all those will remain the same in our situation.

And I should be able to refuse to battle since my Gym battles have been recorded and likely televised so there’s proof of my victory apart from badges.

And I should be able to refuse to battle since my Gym battles have been recorded and likely televised so there’s proof of my victory apart from badges.
You have a nice plan going there...

• "Will you please rematch us? There is no proof you beat us."
  • "Y'all STFU. I already kicked your Galaran asses, and everybody saw it on TV, broadcasted live!!!"
Touché (y)

Last edited:
He does it with different gym leaders, different opponent and a different region though... all those will remain the same in our situation.
I don't necessarily see the problem with it being the same region and the same people. This would be a chance for Gamefreak to show improved character writing and difficulty. If these fights are to be a thing, they shouldn't have to be just roadblocks, they should be fun and immersive.

Now this one I'm 50/50 about. While I personally would love to do the fights again, I can imagine others want to just finish the main story, to keep their 'momentum' going, and just fight the champ. If they gave you the option to skip the fights however, then it literally becomes a last-minute fetch-quest where you just have to return and walk into every gym, to continue playing. Which seems like a cop-out to me.

I could think of a bunch of ways to make this interesting, from plot, to individual character development, to just gameplay wise being a harder challenge you have to overcome

I'm cautiously optimistic about this leak, but a leak is a leak is a leak anyways. :p

You have a nice plan going there...

• "Will you please rematch us? There is no proof you beat us."
  • "STFU and go watch some TV. I already kicked your Galaran asses, and everybody saw it on TV."
Touché (y)
The evil team may specialize in psychic pokemon. 100 Alakazam will delete the memories of the entire Galar and make all the recorded battle vanish. This is a possible scenario afterall...

Now this one I'm 50/50 about. While I personally would love to do the fights again, I can imagine others want to just finish the main story, to keep their 'momentum' going, and just fight the champ. If they gave you the option to skip the fights however, then it literally becomes a last-minute fetch-quest where you just have to return and walk into every gym, to continue playing. Which seems like a cop-out to me.
This is exactly my issue. At that point I probably want to finish my story and battle Leon, the unbeatable trainer, not go on a game of fetch.

Leave the rematches for the post game or something you do in your leisure.

Between Dynamax and the sports-themed outfits/stadiums, gyms seem worse than before.

I like the big stadiums that we'll battle in, however, given this is a fictional game, I think they would have survived with not forcing us to wear sporting attire for battles. As for Dynamaxing, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of it, although I didn't take a liking to it as quickly as I did with mega evolution and Z moves. I'll have to try it out for myself to see if it ends up being a fun feature.

I find it specially difficult to believe that in-game people might force me to recollect my proofs of victory since gym battles are large affairs in Galar than any other region.

P.S. Is the football costume a mandatory thing for every gym battle?

The open world scheme doesn't change the core gameplay, however. The game stays holding a very outdated battle system, the same adventure-arch, the same game progress of a grass/fire/water starter, the same regional normal, bird, traveling sequence, mission, evil team, gyms, elite four, leveling sequence, and so much more.

Going through multiple generations with near-identical gameplay breeds way too much familiarity, and leaves the impression that the gameplay has become stale.
....you really are suggesting that they throw out all of the basic elements of a pokemon game there.

WZ2gbBq.png
This sounds like it's just piggybacking off of confirmed leaks and not really adding anything new.

The idea of them not being able to handle 3d comes from
  1. People being really unhappy with they way the graphics look
  2. People making comments that they should be able to do better or they expect better graphics
  3. People questioning why they arent hiring more people
  4. Gamefreak admitting they need more experience and admitting thier difficulty to add to what the consumers already noticed
Again i did say associating 2d with being quicker thus more other things is hypothetical. Others may not think so though

Im ok with the graphics that others are upset about. Its pokemon theyve always had worse graphics than other games. But because of the really bad outrage pokemon already has, i dont think they can handle more. Thus if the graphics complaints or unhappiness doesnt simmer down or if it increases as we get close to release or after release it may be wise for pokemon to go back to 2.5d or 2d at that point. Others may compare 3d and 2d as something better than the other but i dont see it much more than an art style and like different things about each and dislike different things about each. Rearranged map, i feel, is that way whether 2d or 3d. 3D is just a different angle of that in a pokemon game. Pokemon games have some sort of path and i dont see an issue with that. Unless they do away with going about a map in a certian order like taking on gyms in any order, it will continue.
=_= I think people are focusing too much on that tree and the bike clipping the ground slightly (which honestly, if your ground isn't totally flat, then clipping is kind of one of those inevitable things that happens because I'm sure it's not easy to get a model to adapt to uneven ground). Most of the backgrounds throughout the game look better than that tree, but all the focus is on that one tree which has really great leaves on it but just needs a new bark texture. Big whoo, totally game breaking.

Expecting them to do much better graphics when they're still catching up to other 3D franchises is a little bit asinine. Let them train the people they already have to do better and expect better graphics next gen. And going back to 2D wouldn't be an improvement- it would just stick them with a stagnant art style, reusing pokemon sprites because redoing them every three years would be absurd, making the games look repetitive and still have the same issues that everyone has with the games because 3D isn't the problem. Their tight schedule and "no one has time" mentality is.

I find it specially difficult to believe that in-game people might force me to recollect my proofs of victory since gym battles are large affairs in Galar than any other region.
I find it more likely at that point its just "a friendly battle" because it's fun not because you have to prove yourself again.
Not confirmed but it seems likely.

=_= I think people are focusing too much on that tree and the bike clipping the ground slightly
Pre-release footage at its finest.

....you really are suggesting that they throw out all of the basic elements of a pokemon game there.
While there are a lot of things that make a pokemon game a pokemon game, GF seems to be open to the possibility of deleting the main one: catch them all. So I don't see why we should be forced to see the same minor things over and over again.
I mean, if for once, the starters are of a different type, if first route pokemon are no more bug, grass and normal, if the battle system becomes more dynamic, if instead of the League there's something else, we will survive, right?
If you can forget about the main purpose of a pokemon game you can also slightly change those minor things so people can have a different experience once in a while...just my opinion...

Not 100% confirmed, however, I saw a video from Kotaku which had them playing Sword and shield and entering the gym battle. The way they were talking about it heavily implies that we have to wear the uniform for gym battles.

I mean, if for once, the starters are of a different type,
Fire/Water/Grass is pretty understandable pattern to maintain from GF’s side.

It’s to teach type advantages to new players, and Red/Blue/Green is a pretty commonly used colour trio. The classic elements are also pretty marketable and these three create the perfect Rock/Paper/Scissors triangle which is also intuitive to any person.

Not 100% confirmed, however, I saw a video from Kotaku which had them playing Sword and shield and entering the gym battle. The way they were talking about it heavily implies that we have to wear the uniform for gym battles.
I’d find it pretty asinine if every gym has a soccer costume in spite of being inspired by different sports, and the Gym leader has the liberty to dress any way they like but I don’t...

And that x100 if this is maintained for the elite four and champion. I’m defeating Leon, your most popular celebrity! I want to do it wearing my own style!

I also don’t like the idea of forcing gym rematches like this.

I’d love to have this feature back in SwSh (although it depends on how it’d mix with features like Champion challenges, if the gym leaders are allowed to challenge you), but not in such a forced way.

It also dilutes the main plot for no reason, and the motivation behind this in the leak is...dumb, to be honest. Not only it doesn’t fit with Galar’s televised gym battle, but it’s also lackluster.

I can understand postponing the E4-Champion battles with plot reasoning, but the way BW did it made sense. This leak, not so much.

I’d find it pretty asinine if every gym has a soccer costume in spite of being inspired by different sports, and the Gym leader has the liberty to dress any way they like but I don’t...

And that x100 if this is maintained for the elite four and champion. I’m defeating Leon, your most popular celebrity! I want to do it wearing my own style!
It seems the outfit will be customizable in some way. We’ll see how much and when it’ll be available.

But I’d have preferred if there wasn’t this restriction in gym challenged as well.

Fire/Water/Grass is pretty understandable pattern to maintain from GF’s side.

It’s to teach type advantages to new players, and Red/Blue/Green is a pretty commonly used colour trio. The classic elements are also pretty marketable and these three create the perfect Rock/Paper/Scissors triangle which is also intuitive to any person.
You cannot act forever like no one knows the pokemon types. 90% of those who buy pokemon knows that. We don't need the starters to be a tutorial on the types anymore and you cannot always think to that 10% of people who have never heard about pokemon leaving the other 90% always in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom