• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Wingull is secretly a balloon, that's why it can just float. lol
Look at Drifblim and all these Wingulls:

travel_by_pridark_dd8iqoc-pre.png

...that's what happens when you hang around balloons all the time: you start floating like one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Version exclusives and trade-based evolutions need to become a thing of the past.

They're a real pain in the ass for anybody replaying an older game, where internet connection isn't supported anymore.
Can not agree more. While I am a little more okay with version exclusives, trade evolutions need to go, now. I honestly think they should just go back to all the old Pokemon they made who have to evolve through trading and just make a new evolution method for them. It would not even be that hard for some of them. All the ones that need to be traded while holding an item? Just level them up while holding this item. And just put a level for the ones that don't need an item or something.

Actually, here's another idea, just have trainers in the region (like NPCs), but are wanting to evolve their own Pokemon as well that needs a trade evolution. You can trade with them so your Pokemon evolves, then trade them back for your original Pokemon.

They could probably do something similar with eversion exclusives too and have NPCs who want so and so eversion exclusive from your game, and are willing to trade the version exclusive from the other game.

It keeps the same function, so they don't have to change it, but it helps trainers complete their Pokedex a bit easier. In fact, with trading and battling online likely going to be locked under the Nintendo Switch Online paywall, this would be an excellent feature to add into the games, so people who can't afford to shell out more money for the Online, can still have the opportunity to complete their dex.

Completely agree on the version exclusive stuff being a thing of the past. I want to be able to use both version mascots without having to jump through hurdles to get them, that's why I want all remakes to follow HGSS's example of main mascot legendary availability.
But without version exclusives there'll be no real need for two versions of the same game, which is something they seem to want to carry on now more than ever considering they made two versions even for the yellow remake.
Not counting that now trade evolutions are a way to force you buy a nintendo online service, unless you want to pay for both pokemon bank and pokemon home...

But without version exclusives there'll be no real need for two versions of the same game, which is something they seem to want to carry on more than ever considering they made two versions even for the yellow remake.
Then just make one mascot legendary become obtainable during the story and the other in the post-game. Players will choose for which legendary they can use during the story, not a hard concept to grasp.

Completely agree on the version exclusive stuff being a thing of the past.
Especially if we're gonna have pokemon cut from the games and trading locked behind a paywall, then yeah... definitely on board with dropping version exclusives. Trading is shifting back toward being a pain to do if you don't have anyone locally to play with, and I'm an adult with few friends, of which all of the ones who are pokemon fans live miles away. If there was ever anything that should fall under the "nobody has time" mentality, it should be forcing trades in a game that has you pretty much paying to do it. Especially when there's only going to be a few pokemon that you can't get in your game that you can actually trade for- there's so much less value in that compared to if you could also trade for everything that isn't available in either version.

Especially if we're gonna have pokemon cut from the games and trading locked behind a paywall, then yeah... definitely on board with dropping version exclusives. Trading is shifting back toward being a pain to do if you don't have anyone locally to play with, and I'm an adult with few friends, of which all of the ones who are pokemon fans live miles away. If there was ever anything that should fall under the "nobody has time" mentality, it should be forcing trades in a game that has you pretty much paying to do it. Especially when there's only going to be a few pokemon that you can't get in your game that you can actually trade for- there's so much less value in that compared to if you could also trade for everything that isn't available in either version.
You would literally have to do that even if all pokemon were in. Switch online was already a known problem, don't act like it's an issue now.

Everything isn’t linked to the ‘not all Pokemon in Galar’ problem. The issue has been discussed before, too.
I think all the negativity's starting to get to me. Now I'm just thinking everyone just hates everything cause of the lack of transferables.....what has happened to me? I know the simple answer is take a break for a bit.....I don't know other people to talk about this stuff

You would literally have to do that even if all pokemon were in. Switch online was already a known problem, don't act like it's an issue now.
I'm not saying that it's a new issue, I'm saying that it's even less worthwhile to pay for it.

Without Dexit: You pay for Switch Online, you can trade globally for the probably hundreds of pokemon not available in your game.

With Dexit: You pay for Switch Online, you can trade globally for the maybe twenty evolution lines that you can't get in your version.

It's simply getting less for what you now have to pay for. Paying to be able to trade doesn't feel worth it to me, so I would appreciate if they stopped doing version exclusives now.

I'm not saying that it's a new issue, I'm saying that it's even less worthwhile to pay for it.

Without Dexit: You pay for Switch Online, you can trade globally for the probably hundreds of pokemon not available in your game.

With Dexit: You pay for Switch Online, you can trade globally for the maybe twenty evolution lines that you can't get in your version.

It's simply getting less for what you now have to pay for. Paying to be able to trade doesn't feel worth it to me, so I would appreciate if they stopped doing version exclusives now.
If people already collected hundreds of pokemon via trading before these games come out, even without dexit, what's the point of trading if you already got everything outside the new pokemon?

If people already collected hundreds of pokemon via trading before these games come out, even without dexit, what's the point of trading if you already got everything outside the new pokemon?
Because not everyone transfers their whole collection from game to game? I don't. My issue with Dexit isn't that I can't transfer my pokemon collection to Sword and Shield, it's that other people can't transfer their pokemon to Sword and Shield and then trade their pokemon or their pokemon's offspring to me.

I skipped two whole gens, so the brunt of my actual collection is still isolated back on Gen 4. My beef with Dexit is just not being able to grab my favorites via trades and only being able to keep them in a cloud service that doesn't guarantee their safety if I don't stay on top of feeding it cash.

Because not everyone transfers their whole collection from game to game? I don't. My issue with Dexit isn't that I can't transfer my pokemon collection to Sword and Shield, it's that other people can't transfer their pokemon to Sword and Shield and then trade their pokemon or their pokemon's offspring to me.

I skipped two whole gens, so the brunt of my actual collection is still isolated back on Gen 4. My beef with Dexit is just not being able to grab my favorites via trades and only being able to keep them in a cloud service that doesn't guarantee their safety if I don't stay on top of feeding it cash.
I just withdraw my pokemon from bank yesterday to keep them safe and I cannot find anymore three of my favorite pokemon: shiny greninja, shiny sceptile and shiny swampert, three pokemon I hatched back in 2014. I looked everywhere in every game in my possession since y but nothing. The weird thing is that all the other pokemon from y and alpha sapphire are there so I don't know how this is possible. I'm sure I never traded them...Could bank delete just those three?

I just withdraw my pokemon from bank yesterday to keep them safe and I cannot find anymore three of my favorite pokemon: shiny greninja, shiny sceptile and shiny swampert, three pokemon I hatched back in 2014. I looked everywhere in every game in my possession since y but nothing. The weird thing is that all the other pokemon from y and alpha sapphire are there so I don't know how this is possible. I'm sure I never traded them...Could bank delete just those three?
Apparently it's a thing that can happen, yeah. =/

Aren't the death threats and flame wars a bit extreme, though?

Heads up, I'm about to say the four dreaded words.

After all, It's just a game.

tenor.gif

Bit late to the party and sharing an absolute minority opinion here but I'd be thrilled at the thought of gym leader rematches being "forced" onto me.

I've always kinda disliked how gym leaders were for the most part these NPC you see once in the game to beat them, then you can stop caring they even exist. I dislike gen 7, but the trial captains were handled kinda better in that regard imo.
So yeah, I'd love to run into gym leaders more often throughout the journey, have more interactions with them and even test my strength again before I can have a shot at beating the champion.

As long as it's well done and doesn't feel too tedious; and whoever is against this whole idea in its basics just because it'd hold them up from finishing the game...if they just want to rush through, maybe, just maybe gaming isn't exactly the best hobby for them. Personally I measure a game's worth in how many hours of enjoyable playtime it gave me.

Generation 5 handled that pretty well in my opinion without any rematches. The Gym Leaders had actual jobs and obligations tied into their Pokemon preferences, which was nice for world-building.

I'm very wary on the idea, but not because I mind having to face them again with stronger more challenging teams. If anything, that would at least be a slight improvement over how Gym Leaders and battle-able NPCs have been neutered these last few Gens, and if I'm being honest, since Pokemon Platinum. What I suspect, is that if that "leak" is true, the that twist in the plot is to cover for the possibility that there is essentially no post-game content. Aside from raid battles, if we consider that "post-game."

It would be a convenient way to extend the play-time of the games should they be lacking in content. Lets be real, there isn't many other reasons to do such a thing otherwise. Even if you lost your badges, you still made it past the badge gate check and beat the elite 4, so losing it at that point and having to "prove your legitimacy" is just silly. The battles were also being televised in big stadiums, so we'd be throwing even more logic out the window.

If they want to do a twist to extend playtime, maybe different bosses would be ideal. Instead of having to prove yourself again, you fight and reclaim them from Team Yell (ugh) Admins. Not bc you have to, but because you want to in order to regain your honor and stop whatever the hell they are yellin about. Personally, I'd make the Champion battle at this point optional, with it being a branching choice depending on what you did.

Just to clarify, because it's getting really old seeing this. It's only here in the western world were the slogan is Pokemon:gotta catch 'em all. In Japan it is simply "Get Pokemon!".
I think that's where a big part of this outrage is coming from. People have been lead to believe for 20+ years that we were supposed to catch them all, when in reality, Game Freak never related to that slogan.They wanted you to get Pokemon...and we did. Just wanted to clear up the confusion.

20+ years of propaganda is on Game Freak's heads, not ours. They marketed that in order to sell and it worked. If catching em' all wasn't apart of the plan, then it was false advertising, plain and simple.

Then just make one mascot legendary become obtainable during the story and the other in the post-game. Players will choose for which legendary they can use during the story, not a hard concept to grasp.

Just like the Johto games, just with more choice. Hell, give player choices in the story which could determine "version exclusives" on the whole and do away with paired versions. Oh wait, this is Game Freak we're talking about... this wouldn't be as much an issue if there were more differences between the games other than what Pokemon you can obtain.

That'd be some weird selective deletion. You can't find them anywhere? Not in sun and moon, not in any of the bank boxes? Even used box search in the games?

That'd be some weird selective deletion. You can't find them anywhere? Not in sun and moon, not in any of the bank boxes? Even used box search in the games?
It's really not that weird if something happened to bug out at the moment you transferred something, like an internet connection or the service glitched.

Internet-based services can be randomly buggy- like the time Pokemon GO decided that the shiny chikorita I caught was a regular swablu.

That'd make sense. I have had bad experience with the 3ds internet connection, and my internet is just fine. Hey Joker, did you see anything weird when you put some of your pokemon in bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom