• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nessa does look fantastic. D= She's cool and pretty and I like her. First time I saw her I was like "Daaaaaaaaamn, she look good."

Only complaint- those shoes. Girl get some better shoes, those floaties for your feet ain't saving anything.
yeah but i saw some fan art with her using her shoes, she stands under water upside down with them

61933165_382075352421480_4514530334172601983_n.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/MelynnRose/status/1138540253667631109

#JusticeForNessa
Heard my name, did you call me? c:
Be careful. @Juztiz said she wanted those shoes for her birthday. Don't offend her, ok?

:p
=P If she manages to walk on water with them, maybe I'll stop laughing.
So wholesome that you remembered me. <3
I sure hope I can walk on water with them, because I can't swim. Says the girl with a pfp inspired by Buizel, a Water type.

But yeah, Nessa is cool, and I love her design and she's that kind of person who I wouldn't even be mad if she beat me. She'd deserve it lol

Her outfit makes sense, but whitewashing isn't something to just shrug off. Why can't dark-skinned characters stay the way they are? If criticizing an artist's choice is putting politics where it doesn't belong, is the initial decision to lighten her supposed to be apolitical?

Her outfit makes sense, but whitewashing isn't something to just shrug off. Why can't dark-skinned characters stay the way they are? If criticizing an artist's choice is putting politics where it doesn't belong, is the initial decision to lighten her supposed to be apolitical?
This is the original tweet that triggered the “whitewashing” complaints.

How is this “whitewashing” exactly? This is literally just a palette/lighting choice. She’s still black.

I totally agree. Artists shouldn't go messing around with the race of characters.

I just hope that the same people who are taking offense with Nessa's whitewashing, are equally offended by Hermione Granger's sudden change of race.

I also hope they're not the same people demanding for Idris Elba to be the next James Bond. Because I can't stand double standards.

Last edited:
This is the original tweet that triggered the “whitewashing” complaints.

How is this “whitewashing” exactly? This is literally just a palette/lighting choice. She’s still black.
Multiple artist have already said that that isn't how lighting works on dark skin.

I totally agree. Artists shouldn't go messing up with the race of characters.

I just hope that the same people who are taking offense with Nessa's whitewashing, are equally offended by Hermione's sudden change of race. And by the proposed chamg of race for James Bond.
Hermione was always black to begin with and let's stop acting as if everything is created equally.

People really need to not attack artists for using a palette on a character that they think isn't "dark enough." All it does is make artists afraid to draw black people at all. Which if you don't want these characters represented at all... good job. White prevails.
This is kinda exactly why I stick to drawing white characters tbh. The idea of "maybe I get the skintone slightly off and get chewed out" really makes me think... naaaaaah, I'd rather not risk it.

I don't even care what race Nessa is, just that she looks cool the way she looks, and that's it for me.
EDIT: Also her shoes are freaking awesome. Gotta keep mentioning this.

People really need to not attack artists for using a palette on a character that they think isn't "dark enough." All it does is make artists afraid to draw black people at all. Which if you don't want these characters represented at all... good job. White prevails.
If you're so afraid of receiving criticism on your art that you'd stop drawing black people all together, you probably should just stop drawing.

Not true. I have all the books. And on the cover, she is always depicted as a white girl.

Whether she was originally black in some preliminary draft that wasn't published, doesn't matter.
Cover art and what's actually written are completely separate things all together.

Them being Japanese isn't an actual excuse so I don't understand why you bothered using. Art like everything else can be criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom