• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those last two "rumors" are certainly interesting — nothing Game Freak wouldn't do.

But I still can't stop thinking we're on a dry period until May.
I hate being like this :(
Something will might turn up in April.

Honestly going to a second region seems problematic in many ways especially with the level scaling issues that Masuda and Gamefreak addressed with GSC and HGSS. I'd much rather the focus be put into Galar and making that a full fleshed region full of its own flavour and experiences than revisiting an older region that I've already seen before.

Honestly going to a second region seems problematic in many ways especially with the level scaling issues that Masuda and Gamefreak addressed with GSC and HGSS. I'd much rather the focus be put into Galar and making that a full fleshed region full of its own flavour and experiences than revisiting an older region that I've already seen before.
Also, Galar is not seen anywhere on the global map of Kalos when the weapon was fired in the X and Y cutscene of the game

Well yeah they would have to re write the lore for that to work

Yeah... I feel while Gamefreak were at least starting Sun and Moon at this time, there is no way they'd be incorporating Sword and Shield THAT far back.

I feel the multiple regions was just a Johto thing now that we have 20 years of hindsight. Just so that there was continuity between R/B/Y and G/S/C and it felt safe at the time. That way they need to prove to Nintendo that Pokemon was NOT a fluke and then experimenting with more distant regions of Japan and then the World after Gen 4.

It would be nice having a second region in Sw/Sh, but not the size of Kalos without sacrificing something major that affects either region or worse the entire game.

Don't get me wrong, asking for just curiosity, why is that important for you ?

One word:

F A N S E R V I C E

giphy.gif

They're fine, but they certainly didn't feel like characters in their own right. The closest was Nebby and it was just a cute ally that ended up evolving.

I "kinda" feel like Unova's Original Dragon could have easily been a character in its own right, had it been actually introduced anyways. Game Freak could have delved into why it sided with the twin heroes to establish Unova, possibly to foster better relations with People & Pokemon and advance society.

Johto's legendary trio could also have received similar treatment had we known what their previous forms were like before being revived, and what their relations with humans were during then.

I hope one of them is gender neutral or even trans, the moral panic from the conservatives that ensues would be lovely.

No thanks LOL
I still remember the outcry from the design of Lenora in Gen 5 where they had to alter her design for the west in the anime to remove the apron lol Although the memes with Pokemon Black having Whimsicot and Pokemon White having Lilligant were just as criticised.

I don't see how having a non-binary character would be political? Making a story about brexit and the queen would be being political but this is just representation.
I really don't want to get into this so I'll keep it brief. Yes representation is good. But representation for the sake of representation is not. Pokemon has never done anything of the sort and if they get into it then they should at least handle it with respect. If they include a non-binary character then they probably will have to at least invest in the character. And that is not something Pokemon games need since they don't really dive deep into npc characters personal issues. Other story based rpgs sure. And if they include a character and give no further light to him/her and treat them the same as others, then I guess it could work but is that really enough for those seeking representation?

I really don't want to get into this so I'll keep it brief. Yes representation is good. But representation for the sake of representation is not. Pokemon has never done anything of the sort and if they get into it then they should at least handle it with respect. If they include a non-binary character then they probably will have to at least invest in the character. And that is not something Pokemon games need since they don't really dive deep into npc characters personal issues. Other story based rpgs sure. And if they include a character and give no further light to him/her and treat them the same as others, then I guess it could work but is that really enough for those seeking representation?
A character doesn't have to be majorly in-depth to be positive representation. Just acknowledging that a community exists can be positive representation as well. Pokemon hasn't had to touch on the effects of racism when featuring black characters, or sexism when featuring women-why couldn't they do the same for a nonbinary character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom